PDA

View Full Version : Plane for Tenon Trimming

Matt Van Heiden
03-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Just as the title states, I am looking for a plane where the primary purpose right now will be trimming tenons. However, I know other uses will come to light so versatility would be a bonus, but not a necessity. I'm not sure if trimming tenons would be better served with a shoulder plane (HNT Gordon, Vertias, LN) or something like the LN 60 1/2R. I was also looking at the LN 140. That seemed like an interesting plane. I was leaning more towards the 60 1/2R, but wanted to get some opinions. What would you guys recommend?

On a side note, has anyone used the Mujinfang shoulder plane? I know there is a substantial price difference between this and the planes above. If it can work well like the ones above with just a little work, I really don't care if it is not quite as appealing to the eye. Especially for the price difference.

Mike Henderson
03-21-2010, 10:51 AM
If you're just going to use it for trimming the cheeks of a tenon and not the shoulders, you can do it with a larger chisel. Even the shoulders can be trimmed with a chisel.

If you're set on getting a plane, the 60 1/2 works well for trimming tenons. You definitely don't need the skew blade of the 140.

If you want a shoulder plane, the LV medium shoulder plane is the best for me.

Mike

Tri Hoang
03-21-2010, 10:57 AM
For tenon shoulder, you could use the shoulder plane or just chisels. For tenon faces, a router plane. The problem with the 60-1/2R is that there is no way to achieve consistent depth. For me, the 60-1/2R is a blood sucking plane. It just too easy to cut yourself using it. If you insist on the 60-1/2R, I'd strongly recommend the 140 block. It's more versatile and came with nickers for cross-grain application. It does cost a little more.

I've not used the Mujinfang shoulder but the wedging of the blade isn't go down far enough and you may have trouble with chattering.

Rick Erickson
03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
The LN 140 is a superb plane but the blade is only exposed on one edge. That wouldn't be my first choice for tenons. If you are looking for a one-size-fits-all plane I would say the LN 60 1/2R. You can do shoulders and cheeks for tenons as large as 1 3/4" in a single pass. Most tenon work is smaller though (around 3/4") so I go with my shoulder planes (just more fun to use IMO).

Chuck Tringo
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Like Tri Said, for the face, Router plane. Many uses, cheaper that most shoulder planes, and the only one that can get consistent depth. To make it stable on tenons, either use a second scrap on the outside of the tenon for balance, or make an auxiliary base (think offset base like on a tailed router). I would stay away from the muji for the same reason Tri mentioned, the wedge doesn't go down far enough on the blade.

Dave Anderson NH
03-21-2010, 3:09 PM
Matt, as you have discovered by now there are many ways to skin this cat. Chisel, plane, router plane, use what you have. I occasionally will also use a rasp or a planemakers float. All work equally well but just require different techniques. Note though that in the general interest of tool lust don't let this stop you from acquiring another tool.:D

Jim Koepke
03-21-2010, 3:50 PM
Matt,

Without knowing what you already have and what other plans you have, it is difficult to make a best recommendation.

A router plane with a base extension is a good choice for trimming a tenon.
This is actually a tool you could make in the shop. Not as exciting as buying a new plane, but fills the bill.

The #140 is a versatile plane. The skewed blade can be a little tricky to sharpen properly. If off a little, it can be frustrating trying to get it right. As far as most useful overall, this could be the winner.

A shoulder plane can be used for trimming a tenon it is also useful to trim shoulders and is useful for half laps. It may be a bit narrow for working a tenon.

The #60-1/2R does look like a nice tool, but I am not sure how it would do across the grain compared to the #140. Tenon trimming is usually cross grain. The skew blade on the #140 does have advantages.

Another option that you may not have considered is an old wooden skewed blade rabbet plane. These can often be found cheap. Just make sure it isn't warped or missing parts. I bought an old 2" Ohio Tools model for less than $20. The side was a bit worn from use. I now look at this as a sign it must have worked well and a lot for a previous owner or two.

jim

Matt Van Heiden
03-21-2010, 4:17 PM
I currently just have the standard planes- cheap stanley block plane, #4, #5, & #7. I was using the block plane earlier today in conjunction with a chisel, but want something that will actually get into the corners. I know I could probably get by with what I have, but I think I have a little of tool lust like someone mentioned above. I have primarily used power tools, but once I started to use hand tools it's becoming addictive. I like the router idea, but I don't know how often I would use it beyond tennons. I guess the more I think about it, I would like to use whatever I get on more than just tennons.