PDA

View Full Version : Pine bowl

Curt Fuller
03-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I have a commission of sorts, more of a nagging obligation, to make a bunch of things from an old ponderosa pine tree that was a landmark in our little community. I've done some other bowls, rolling pins, potato mashers, now another bowl. If any other wood had this much color variation and pronounced grain we would probably all be going gahgah over it. But for some reason pine just doesn't do much for a lot of people. Anyway this is a 12.5" ponderosa pine bowl, 4.5 " tall, thick 5/8" walls and just a little rim work. Finished with watco butcher block oil.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I like what you did with the grain orientation. Nice, Max

Jeff Luedloff
03-21-2010, 10:53 AM
very nice, you just might have changed my out look on pine. great job.

Robert McGowen
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
That is very well done, Curt. It sounds like making it was more of a chore than fun though!

Norm Zax
03-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Pine can be beautiful, as in your bowls. Just tint it slightly and people will stop recognizing it and start to appreciate it. Nevertheless, it still is somewhat soft. That by the way makes it great for sandblasting.
Norm

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 11:13 AM
That's a beautiful bowl Curt! Great form and really like the grain!

Pine can be some really pretty wood - it's just such a pain to turn sometimes with all the pitch you have to deal with. I've turned dried Jack Pine - with success and it was OK but continues to move even today.

Turned green pine - once! What a sticky mess!

Bill Bolen
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Beautiful piece Curt. I reall love those tight grain lines...Bill..

Charlie Reals
03-21-2010, 11:28 AM
wonderful bowll Curt. beautiful grain. I am turning a lot of green sugar pine that is blue stained. I am a staunch lover of pine.:)
Charlie

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I like it a lot. It's much prettier wood than some of the pine species I've seen. Nice work.

Mark Hubl
03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Nice bowl and the pine looks great.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Curt, very nice bowl, and I like the rim detail, followed onto the wall of the bowl. The pine is certainly striking with the grain pattern, but I have heard so much about the pitch issues, it has not interested me much.

This piece could sway me!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 2:22 PM
Curt that is a beautiful bowl. Love the rim detail and side detail. Grain orientation is really nice.

John Tomasello jr
03-21-2010, 5:52 PM
Nice job on the bowl Curt, I have some Ponderosa pine sitting make me want to dig it out & turn it.

Wayne Bower
03-21-2010, 6:13 PM
nice piece, Kurt. pine can be a very pretty wood.

Jeff Nicol
03-21-2010, 6:54 PM
I love turning all the pine types I can get. I turn a ton of white pine as it gets the nice blue streaks in it that sometimes go to green and pinkish tones also. White pine is probably the softest of the pines, but yellow pine, ponderosa, jack, red and most all the firs and hemlock are much harder. I turn a bunch of tamarack and it is hard also, most of what i mentioned are harder than aspen, cottonwood and box elder. The older the pine is the harder it gets, but the sap may still give you grief.

Great bowl with wonderful grain,

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 7:09 PM
Great bowl with great grain!

Thomas Canfield
03-21-2010, 9:13 PM
Great looking bowl. Turning pine can be a real challenge, but will make one a better turner working with the hard/soft grain. Makes you appreciae sharp tools to avoid tearouts.

Some of the "yard pine" here in East Texas when turned green will almost go translucent when soaked in a oil finish and with a lot of sap it does better, but sure a mess on tools, shop, and turner.