PDA

View Full Version : Junior's Holdfasts

Richard Niemiec
03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I just want everyone to know that Junior Strasil made me a set of custom holdfasts for my Sjobergs bench, which has 1" (actually, 25mm) dog holes, and they are just fabulous. For those who don't have 1" dog holes, it's impossible to find holdfasts out there, all are made for 3/4" holes, and the ones Sjobergs sells to fit this bench are just lousy. Junior took the time to find the right materials, and engineered them just right; one whack and they're well set, one whack and they release. I couldn't ask for more.

I know he's justly famous for his 3/4" holdfasts, but for anyone out there suffering with 1" dog holes, he'll be your hero.

So, a public thanks to Junior for his skill and craftsmanship! Well done, and thank you!

RN

Jim Koepke
03-21-2010, 3:58 PM
I have a pair of the smaller ones and just can not figure how I could work without them.

Hopefully, some day I will be able to afford another pair at the same time Junior is making them.

jim

Richard Dooling
03-21-2010, 6:40 PM
I was using Junior's hold fasts today as a matter of fact. This was a case where the extra spring in his design was really helpful. I just pushed them down to secure the work though I still had to give 'em a whack to release.

Someone here recently sold an extra set they had and I was sorely tempted.

Rob Fisher
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
...Someone here recently sold an extra set they had and I was sorely tempted...

GLOAT! I was the lucky buyer of that pair from Chris. :D
Now I just need to get some holes in my temporary bench and start using them. I can't wait!

Rob

Brian Muecke
03-22-2010, 8:08 PM
i have the same bench and and have only located a blacksmith in alaska to make the holdfasts. who is this Junior you speak of?

Richard Niemiec
03-22-2010, 8:50 PM
Brian, sent you a PM.

harry strasil
03-22-2010, 9:42 PM
Brian, when I made Richards, I made 2 sets if you want the other set email me.

Jr.

Thomas Kila
03-23-2010, 6:30 AM
Brian,
I too have 1" dogholes in my Sjoberg bench, but since receiving Jr.'s 3/4" holdfasts, have drilled more than a couple of holes to accommodate them. I absolutely love Jr.'s holdfasts and recommend them wholeheartedly. In fact, if you don't grab the extra set, I just may shoot Jr. a PM and take them myself!:p

John Coloccia
03-23-2010, 7:00 AM
I have a Sjoberg too and have pulled out my hair looking for holdfasts. If you ever make more 1", would you mind whipping some up for me too?

Bob Easton
03-23-2010, 7:30 AM
i have the same bench and and have only located a blacksmith in alaska to make the holdfasts. who is this Junior you speak of?

"Junior" is Harry Strasil. The interchangeable names aren't obvious until you've been here quite a long while.

harry strasil
03-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Richard had a small problem with the holdfasts he got, they were a bit long and some kind of bracework interfered with them so he had to cut 1.5 inches off, I am assuming all the sjoberg benches are made the same and I should alter the length?

John Coloccia
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Good question. I wonder what they interfered with? I have one of the "Elite" series benches, which I think are the only ones with 1" holes, so I'm guessing we have the same bench.

What did you run into, Richard?

harry strasil
03-23-2010, 5:37 PM
Ok, I checked my material and I have enough for 4 more pair of large ones, 2 have requested them, that leaves 3 sets unclaimed. I will cut the material up and first come first served, after I get caught up on the ones for 3/4 holes.

Jr.

John Coloccia
03-23-2010, 6:24 PM
Harry, if we don't hear from Richard, you can just go ahead and make mine the normal length. If I end up having to cut them, I'll just cut them, no big deal.

Richard Niemiec
03-23-2010, 6:57 PM
John, Junior: I haven't cut mine down yet, but I ran down to the shop and took some measurements. My bench is the Sjobergs Elite 2500, there is a slight difference between the positioning of rails on the "front" and "back" of the bench, of course, depending on whether you have it set up for right or left handed workers, mine is a righty.

On the back, the rail is directly below the dog holes, on the front the holdfast will bump the rail slightly, and in each instance, figuring a 3/4 inch board under the holdfast, 1 1/2 inch shorter will do nicely, but 1 3/4 inch would give you some slack for thinner stock.

I hope that helps. You'll love the holdfasts, thanks again Junior.

RN

Jim Koepke
03-24-2010, 12:48 AM
On the back, the rail is directly below the dog holes, on the front the holdfast will bump the rail slightly, and in each instance, figuring a 3/4 inch board under the holdfast, 1 1/2 inch shorter will do nicely, but 1 3/4 inch would give you some slack for thinner stock.

My practice is to put a piece of scrap 2X3 on edge between the hold fast and the stock being held. This elevates the hold fast a little an makes it an easier target when hitting it with a mallet to remove.

jim

John Coloccia
03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Personally, I think I'll be happy with "regular" length. It's a lot easier to cut it off than it is to whip out the torch and put it back on....

...not that I have a tip that will do 1" steal, mind you.

harry strasil
03-24-2010, 1:08 AM
Right on Jim, I keep a small container with small scraps of several different sizes/thickness's handy to use under the holdfast working end instead of leather.

Pat Meeuwissen
03-24-2010, 6:58 AM
Is there a picture of the hold downs Junior made? Pat

Don C Peterson
03-24-2010, 9:07 AM
This thread has several pics of Jr's holdfasts and a brief review of them that I wrote up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114625&highlight=holdfast&page=3

Pedro Reyes
03-30-2010, 9:43 PM
I have 2 more unclaimed pairs of holdfasts for 1inch holes made if anyone is interested.

$45 a pair + $12 priority mail and handling.

Where do I send the moola and how?

/p