PDA

View Full Version : cutting segments on a Sliding Compound Miter Saw (SCMS)

Stuart Reid
03-21-2010, 1:30 AM
I have been doing some work on segmented turning but have been having a problem with my new Makita 10" SCMS. I have been able to set up a stop, using a clamp, so I can control the length of each segment but I can't seem to get the hold down clamp that came with the SCMS to work properly to hold down the wood as the cut is made. The main rod seems to be too small for the hole so that as I attempt to tighten the clamp on the wood the rod just comes up out of the hole. I am sure this is operator error but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I'm sure there are some ideas out there.

Stu

Mike Johnson
03-21-2010, 7:21 AM
I would suggest getting a copy of Malcolm Tibbits's book, "The Art of SegmentTurning." He has a very thorough section on how to cut segments with a SCMS.

Greg Just
03-21-2010, 9:45 AM
I could never get my SCMS to cut accurately enough so I resorted to building a sled that I use on my table saw. I use one of those digital angle cubes to set the blade angle and have been very happy with the results.

Richard Madison
03-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Stuart, You could build a secondary "miter box" that clamps to your SCMS and screw a couple of toggle clamps to the miter box. I have a miter saw, but use a sled on the table saw for cutting segments.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-21-2010, 2:51 PM
Stuart, you seem to be doing a couple of things differently from how I use a chop saw. First, I don't use the saw's hold-down clamp to hold the piece of wood being cut. I use my saw's clamp to secure my stop block. I use a handheld hold-down device for securig the cut off segment and I use a wedge to use the board against the fence.

Regarding your hold-down clamp's post, you might try rotating the post. Some of them have a slot at the bottom of the post that locks in place.

Good luck.

Robert McGowen
03-21-2010, 6:09 PM
I have a 12" Makita SCMS. If the saws are the same design, the post that has the hold-down attached has a groove cut out towards the bottom of the post. That part sticks inside of a hole on the backside of the fence. There is a screw with a plastic handle that screws into a threaded hole and goes into the groove on the post, locking it into place. I would guess that either 1) you have the post in upside down, or 2) you do not have the post down far enough so that the screw is able to engage the groove in the post, or 3) you do not have the locking screw in place or do not know that there is supposed to be one there. I locked my hold-down in place and was able to pick up the saw with it and it did not even pretend to budge. Hope this helps.

As for me, I purchased the SCMS just to cut segments on and I now use a sled on the table saw. :o

Stuart Reid
03-21-2010, 9:39 PM
Thanks to Malcolm and Robert especially. I have re-read Malcolm's book again, pages dealing with cutting segments specifically, but I will have to look at the hold down clamp that came with the saw as I was not aware of anything to hold the rod in the hole behind the fence. If there is a screw I certainly have missed it and that should solve my problem. I did see how Malcolm made the stop block and the holder for the wood being cut. Do you hold down the pieces being cut with your hand? I can't see in the diagrams where there is anything that holds the "hold Down in place. BTW I can see where you us the saws hold down clamp to hold the stop block so I just need to figure out how to secure it. Thanks again, back to the drawing board.

Stu

P.S. After going back to my SCMS the rod that supports the hold down clamp does not have a screw to hold it or a slot for it to fit into. The bottom of the rod is etched, I assume to prevent it from coming out of the hole, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. If you can get the hold down clamp pushing on an angle the rod presses against the side of the hole and it tends to stay in place. I'm not sure this is the best way but it seems to be the design.