PDA

View Full Version : LN Low angle smoothing plane????

Mark Buchanan
03-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Anyone have one of these. I am debating between the low angle smoother and a # 3 or #4 in brass. I would like something between my block plane and my 5 1/2.

Thanks
Mark

Bob Jones
03-20-2010, 11:55 PM
I have the LV BU Smother and I like the versatility of easily swappable blades. I also have an old #4 and I like how easy it is to adjust the blade.

Maybe i am doing something wrong, but on my BU planes I loosen the blade to make any adjustments - not a problem for the regular Bevel Down planes.

Joel Goodman
03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
The only downside I've heard about is the adjuster which makes removing the iron a little more of a deal than with the LN low angle jack-- where it is like a block plane. I have heard that if you want to have multiple irons ground at different angles for the low angle smoother it's handy to get the extra part that attaches to the iron as well. I would also love to hear from some one who has this plane. I really like the LN low angle jack. BTW the jack is a lot lighter than a 5 1/2!

Jim Koepke
03-21-2010, 1:56 AM
Mark,

Is there any chance you live near where there will be an LN tool event in the near future?

I have recently bought a BU jack, LN #62. I think I still like the bevel down for smoothing.

jim

Mark Buchanan
03-21-2010, 9:36 AM
Jim I am in South Carolina. According to their schedule the closest event will be in Maryland. I think the Woodcraft store in Atlanta has about every LN on display. I will be down there next week and plan to stop in.

Mark

Rick Erickson
03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Mark, Atlanta Woodcraft does have the LN BU Smoother (at least they did the other day). I'm a big LN fan but went with the LV BU smoother in this case. The LN is a bit finicky with its blade mount. I only use my BU smoother for very difficult woods. I use my 3 or 4 1/2 for most of my smoothing and Steve carries both of those if you are interested.

Tri Hoang
03-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Since you already have a 5-1/2, I'd recommend a #3 or #4. The blade on the BUS is almost as wide as the 5-1/2. Sometimes, it helps to use a smaller smoother for those not so flat surfaces. It's also lighter (iron version) which helps preserve your stamina to get the job done. There isn't much functional difference between a light and heavy (bronze) version unless you work with difficult wood when extra weight and better momentum may help. The BUS is a very versatile plane, though. I love mine.

Hank Knight
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Jim I am in South Carolina. According to their schedule the closest event will be in Maryland. I think the Woodcraft store in Atlanta has about every LN on display. I will be down there next week and plan to stop in.

Mark

Mark,

Where do you live in SC? I live in Columbia and I have a LN low angle smoother. If you can get by here, you can take it for a test drive.

Hank

Mark Buchanan
03-21-2010, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the offer Hank. I am in Greer. (just updated my profile) Time does not permit a trip to Columbia any time soon though. I am leaning toward the #3 in bronze because of the smaller size. Maybe the LA will be after that.

Mark

Tony Shea
03-21-2010, 3:03 PM
In my opinion you really can't go wrong with the bronze #3 and think that you'll absolutely love it. I have recently aquired a #2 bronze from a private sale and love this plane a bunch. I almost passed the great deal up after seeing the size of the #2 in person but got it anyways as the price was ridiculously low. I was planning on selling it on ebay until I started playing around with it for smoothing up some small boxes, drawers, etc. Now I think it has become my favorite plane in the bunch. It gets a ton of use and couldn't imagine life without it. Just a great size that is often overlooked. I think a #3 could potentially be even more versatile than my #2 and would say that's a perfect choice on your part.

Jim Koepke
03-21-2010, 3:27 PM
In my opinion you really can't go wrong with the bronze #3 and think that you'll absolutely love it. I have recently aquired a #2 bronze from a private sale and love this plane a bunch. I almost passed the great deal up after seeing the size of the #2 in person but got it anyways as the price was ridiculously low. I was planning on selling it on ebay until I started playing around with it for smoothing up some small boxes, drawers, etc. Now I think it has become my favorite plane in the bunch. It gets a ton of use and couldn't imagine life without it. Just a great size that is often overlooked. I think a #3 could potentially be even more versatile than my #2 and would say that's a perfect choice on your part.

+1 on what Tony said.

My fleet of planes covers all the bench planes from #1 to #8. Even the #1 comes out to play when nothing else will work. I was working a big panel the other day and for some reason the glue line was just not getting hit by any other plane. Of course, this was in very warped pine. A lot of times, I don't even try to get it flat because it would go from 3/4 to less than 1/4. So even with the panel relatively smooth, it still had a glue line ridge in a valley. The #1 made quick work of this. The #1 was my only LN bench plane until my recent acquisition of the #62.

So every size plane has its use. When working on small stuff, the #2 is often the one making shavings.

jim

Mark Buchanan
03-21-2010, 5:37 PM
The LN sight has the #2 listed as 7 1/2 inches long with an 1 5/8 blade width and the # 3 listed as 8 inches long with an 1 3//4 inch wide blade. Can any one confirm these measurements. I would have thought the length would vary more.

Mark

Rick Erickson
03-21-2010, 6:55 PM
I can't speak for the No. 2 but my No. 3 is as listed. The overall length is 9" but the usable sole is 8".

Mark Buchanan
03-21-2010, 7:04 PM
Thanks Rick. I thought an over all length of 8 inches sounded off. I have an old Stanley #3 junker that measures 9 1/4 inches overall. LN sight does not specify overall or usable it just says a length of 8 inches.

Mark

Paul Murphy
03-21-2010, 9:23 PM
Mark, I have the LV LA Smoother, and I am completely pleased with it. It is very versitile, and so it sees a lot of use.

Sean Nagle
03-24-2010, 1:30 PM
My LN Low Angle Smoother is my favorite plane.

Jeff Johnson
03-24-2010, 2:12 PM
LN 2010 SHOW SCHEDULE

May 14 & 15, 2010
Woodshop, Jackson Park Ministries Warehouse Facility
4001 Sentry Post Road (http://www.jacksonpark.org/) - Charlotte, NC

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/?pg=1