PDA

View Full Version : Castors for MM equipment

Peter Quinn
03-20-2010, 8:18 PM
Hello guys. I have a MM t40 shaper, now up and running, with a 4 wheel steff feeder on it. I figure total weight in the #600 range at best. Any one have experience putting casters like the zambus or great lakes on a MM machine? I'm not sure how something like that would mount exactly to the feet on this machine. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Philip Johnson
03-20-2010, 8:56 PM
I have the great lakes on a mm 24 band saw about 1000 pounds moves around pretty easy. It had some leveling bolts in the base...just remove them and screw the casters right in. I used the GD-60s with m12 threaded shaft...screwed right in. Not sure if your shaper has the same set up.

Phil

Peter Quinn
03-20-2010, 9:02 PM
There are holes in the base of the feet, not sure they are threaded or not? There is some odd set up that looks like a large keyhole slot, but upside down, or big end on top, little end below. I think it may have been part of the stock mobility setup?

Do you know how much height the castors add?

Andy McCormick
03-20-2010, 9:15 PM
:D Well what I would do is just add on to the shop. Then you dont have to worry about moving it. :D

Philip Johnson
03-20-2010, 9:49 PM
If they are threaded its probably the 12mm...minimax could tell you too they knew which ones fit the band saws. The GD 60s ones I have add about 3 1/4 inch they are rated for 550 pounds each you may be able to go a size smaller if the height is a problem

Phil

Peter Quinn
03-21-2010, 8:09 PM
:D Well what I would do is just add on to the shop. Then you dont have to worry about moving it. :D

Andy, that is a good idea! I'm working on that. I'm keeping my eye out for a 5000SF timber frame barn near a lazy babeling river with a view of the Berkshires, and a winning lottery ticket. But in the short run, everything has to roll. The shop I work in is 12,000SF, and we still have to move the shapers around to accommodate certain work and larger jobs. Not sure how large a shop has to get before everything can become stationary? The home shop is 900SF and chock full of machines, so I need to work like a tank division and stay mobile.