PDA

View Full Version : redesign crab apple

John Tomasello jr
03-20-2010, 6:12 PM
With nice weather coming won't be able to get much turning in, yard work and such. So went to turn some crab apple today:), had a form in my mind that I was after. Well the evil man that lives in the vortex came to see me, you know him as Mr. Murphy. First trying to keep bark on, he told me no way and bounced some off my fore head.:o Next with all the doors open I was having a hard time seeing the ghost image. To set the record strait my eyes are fine, it the world that is blurry.:rolleyes: So Mr Murphy said catch time, after finding were it launched to it was time for a redesign.:mad: Still not being able to see the ghost Mr Murphy made me have a few more small catches.:( Finally finished with not much blood loss.:eek:Sanded out to 180 & will sit in DNA for a week.

David E Keller
03-20-2010, 6:19 PM
Not completely messed up in my estimation... a design change perhaps but not lost. I'm would let it dry then remount it and true up a tenon for a foot rather than the recess... then off you go.

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 7:09 PM
On the bright side, it sure has potential to be an interesting piece!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2010, 7:20 PM
That is a interesting piece. I agree with David. What I would do is let it dry and then turn a tenon.

John Tomasello jr
03-20-2010, 8:59 PM
Was able to remount & finish, But MR Murphy and is laws are at it again pics are failing to upload. Try to take more tomorrow

Thomas Canfield
03-20-2010, 9:06 PM
I agree that a tenon would be a better choice in my opinion and limited experience. If you stay with a recess, then a healthy application of thin CA before installing the chuck to harden the fiber will help some. Those propeller shapes can be a challenge and definitely require delicate touch.

ed hoxter
03-20-2010, 9:10 PM
at least you had nice weather. :D ed hoxter

Baxter Smith
03-20-2010, 9:31 PM
Looks like it will be a nice bowl!

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2010, 9:38 PM
There's nothing wrong with using a recess, but it has to have more meat around it than what you have there, if you don't use the tailstock for added steadying.
You were using the tailstock while doing the outside, would have been a good idea to use it also while doing the inside with the small foot and recess that you made, you still can do that, and the recess doesn't have to be as deep as the one you made, 1/4" would be plenty deep enough, HTH.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Is going to be an interesting piece once it is finished! Looking forward to it!

John Tomasello jr
03-21-2010, 5:34 PM
Pulled it out of the DNA & shot a few more pics. To heavy of a hand yesterday. Gouges will sand out most likely, do not no what to with the missing piece.

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 5:47 PM
That's a shame about the missing piece... It's pretty wood and an interesting form.

Graham Sugar
03-21-2010, 6:41 PM
Pulled it out of the DNA & shot a few more pics. To heavy of a hand yesterday. Gouges will sand out most likely, do not no what to with the missing piece.
Just a suggestion ....fill with epoxie mixed with somethig like Malchanite powder or torquise powder and make a feature out of it
top looking piece by the way
Regards
Graham