PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PWBS-14CS 14" Bandsaw...thoughts on it?

George Farra
03-20-2010, 5:45 PM
Hi everyone

I'm leaning towards purchasing this saw while I ca get it w/ free shipping and the free riser block kit.

Any user experiences would be greatly appreciated. Its either this or the GO555X with riser block.

Thank you

George

Van Huskey
03-20-2010, 9:00 PM
If you are stuck on a cast saw the PM is nicer with the Carter upgrades it has installed.

Nick Mastropietro
03-20-2010, 9:37 PM
I purchased the PM bandsaw about a year ago and installed the riser, this saw has provided great service. I know some have issue with cast bandsaws because they say the spine twists under blade tension. I mostly use Timberwolf blades which don't require as much tension as standard blades, however I just recently bought a Laguna carbide tip blade and am fairly sure I won't have any problem with the saw. If I do, I will post those details then. I don't think you will be sorry if your purchase the PM 14" saw.

Peter Quinn
03-20-2010, 9:43 PM
I've owned it for 4 years, its a nice saw in the 14" weight class, the carter guides and quick release are nice features. The motor has plenty of power to resaw to 12 inches. The motor mounts are crap beyond explanation. Due to the serpentine belt, which provides great slip free power with little vibration when properly set up, the pulley alignment must be perfect or the belts fly off. The motor mount requires you to align the pulleys while simultaneously applying belt tension, all in a very small work space in the saws cabinet stand. It will make you use swears you hadn't considered previously.

Luckily Bill Huber here on the creek came up with a very nice fix for his Jet saw which shares the same motor mount. Google that to see what is involved.

Other than the motor mount issue it has been a pleasure to own. The fence is decent, the light is nice, the blower is weird and I disabled it. Blade changes are easy, the table is flat, over all a good saw.

Lewis Cobb
03-21-2010, 11:02 AM
+1 on the motor mount - and I followed the Huber solution as well - worked like a charm. I think I posted some pics of my own somewhere here.

Other than the motor mount, I too am happy with my purchase of this 14" class saw.

Brian W Evans
03-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I've owned one of these for about 2 years and I like it very much. I got it used on CL and then added the riser block and a Kreg fence. I use it almost exclusively for resawing, which I don't do very often. I use a 3/4" blade and it works fine. The carter stuff is very nice, as well.

I haven't had any problems with the motor mount, but I agree that the motor cabinet is tight and the mount looks pretty rudimentary.

One more thing: when I added the riser block, the hose connecting the blower to the motor was too short, so I no longer have a blower.

Joseph Tarantino
03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
while i don't own the subject saw, i do own an 18" jet BS. it is the first and only WMH tool group (parent co. of jet, powermatic and wilton) product i will probably ever own. while their tools look nice and their CS is pleasant and well intentioned, their tech support and, at least the two dealers i dealt with, are inadequate and substandard. and the tools seem to command a premium price without offering the strict adherence to superior standards they should. when the time comes to move away from my JWBS 18, grizzly and rikon will be at the top of my short list.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I have an older model. Carter guides, tension release, riser, Rockler table and fence. It has lots of power, and I also use the Timberwolf blades. It has not failed to satisfy me. Depending on the price, (since you didn't mention that) and if it comes with the roller guides and tension release, it could be a great deal. I've seen sales at W/C that even includes a mobile base.

Jeff Monson
03-22-2010, 5:34 PM
George, I own this saw and have been very happy with it. I used it for about a year with no riser installed, after needing a little more resaw height I did add the kit. My riser was not drilled correctly so I did have an issue getting my wheels coplaner, but it was a very easy fix. It resaws really nice with a good blade, I have never had a need for more power. A+ machine in my book.

jon devries
03-23-2010, 6:01 PM
I also have this saw. People mention carter guides, this saw has carter like guides. I just bought the real carter guides for this bandsaw and turns out i liked the powermatic guides better. They allow you to adjust with out using a hex wrench, and for the lower guides you wont have to take the fuss with the hex set screw on the inside of the lower guides under the table.

So a +1 on a good bandsaw.