PDA

View Full Version : Rant

Greg Ketell
03-20-2010, 1:07 PM
As you guys have seen, I got the new PM3520b during the last big sale. Then I built an area in the garage for it. Then I build storage for the tools. Then I built the vacuum chuck, bought stronghold chucks, etc. In short, I finally got everything I needed to start seriously turning bowls/platters/etc.

So what happens next?? I blow my back out so I can't stand up for more than 10 minutes at a time. This SUCKS!!!

Donny Lawson
03-20-2010, 1:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your back. That will heal pretty quickly and in the meantime you can think about all the bowls waiting to be turned.
Donny

Allen Neighbors
03-20-2010, 1:25 PM
I can relate to that back trouble... but that would be worse, having a new lathe and not being able to use it. Take care of the back. Your health will improve one day... don't force it. (easy for me to say, huh?) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2010, 1:29 PM
Greg,

Sorry to hear about your back problems. Take it easy and don't try to rush the recovery.

I broke my back 9 years ago on April 6, 2001. Ask why I remember that date. I can tell you where I was on 9/11/2001....Still sleeping on a foam pad on the floor in our livingroom. I slept there for 14 months before my back would allow me to sleep in a bed. Periodically I still will have problems and end up sleeping on the floor.

Take care of your back. Don't try to rush it.

Mike Peace
03-20-2010, 2:02 PM
Hope your back clears up. Sounds like you have time to read a couple of books on woodturning or watch some DVDs. Read all of the back issues of the American Woodturner on the AAW site.Draw up som plans for tools storage. Lots of mental activities related to turning.

David E Keller
03-20-2010, 2:31 PM
Sorry to hear about the back... talk to your doc about a steroid pack as that will sometimes cool down your back a little quicker than just waiting it out.

Charlie Reals
03-20-2010, 2:48 PM
Sorry to hear about the back... talk to your doc about a steroid pack as that will sometimes cool down your back a little quicker than just waiting it out.
Ditto that and a stool works wonders to take the pressure off your back. I found ways to do a lot of turning from a stool. Heal well.

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2010, 2:55 PM
Bummer on the back Greg. I can tell you from experience let it heal. I went out and tried to do some work after I blew mine out because I thought shoot I feel great. Wrong.:mad: Just take it easy Greg and heal. The lathe will be there.

Roger Bullock
03-20-2010, 3:29 PM
The best advice is to follow the doctor's advice. Back problems suck but if you rush it, could end up being a lifelong problem. Best of luck.

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 3:39 PM
Great time of year to do some walking - the best cure that I know of for back problems. Think long and hard before you go under a knife!!

Karl Card
03-20-2010, 4:23 PM
I feel real fortunate that I do not have back problems. However when I was younger I used to dead lift quite a bit and thought that when i pulled my muscle in my lower back sliding into first base I really thought that would come back to haunt me. So far so good, knock on WOOD...

But what really bothers me is a physatic nerve. Oh my i can stand for about 4 hours and then from my right buttock down to my ankle it just aches... I probably need to see a chiropractor but just havent yet..

Good luck to you though and hope things get better soon.

John Tomasello jr
03-20-2010, 5:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the back, I can relate. Don't push the back give it time.

Kirk Miller
03-20-2010, 6:23 PM
Greg,
There is some very good advice being offered for those that have been through it before. Do what the doctor says, try to rest your back. You went quite a while without your 3520. Take it from someone that undergoes regular injections/catheters for pain management. LISTEN to the doctor........He will be the first one to say........."Told You SO"

Relax and heal them go play with your new toy.

Kirk

Richard Madison
03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Greg, I rarely turn for more than ten minutes at a time. Then rest for a few minutes in a comfortable lawn chair, sip some coffee and pet the shop cat. Then another ten minutes or so of "work", another break, etc. "A man's got to know his limitations."

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Greg - hope you heal totally and soon! Great time to start designing all those cutting edge hollow forms!

Gary Chester
03-21-2010, 2:01 AM
Greg,

Whisky has always solved those problems for me rather quickly...

Oh wait!!! that's not right... it was the doc. :D:D:D

Now's the time for creativity, to search for (and steal) ideas you want to create... draw those bowls, those boxes, those hollow forms, those finials... be prepared for when you're back standing at the lathe.

alex carey
03-21-2010, 2:41 AM
LAMEEEE, get better.

Greg Ketell
03-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good advice.

I am definitely taking it easy. I've hurt my back in the past so know the drill but this is the worst it has ever been. Doc has given me 800mg advil and some potent anti-spasm (pro-dizzy) meds. After a week it feels different but, if anything, it is worse now. I only have about 10 minutes of "verticality" before I have to sit or lay down. :(

Back to the doctor later this week to see what is next.
GK