PDA

View Full Version : In need of a planer tech in MD

Mike Cruz
03-20-2010, 1:03 PM
So, recently, I purchased a used Grizzly G1033 from a fellow Creeker. He had bought it used off someone else, and admittedly hadn't used it. He gave me a great deal, and while it works just fine (actually, it purrs), it could really use a tune up. Could I do it? Maybe. This type of thing really isn't my forte. I have the manual and have read it through (a couple of times) and know what I am comfortable fooling with and what I'm not. Partly because of tools (for tuning up) and partly because of experience. I bought some new blades and changed the gear oil already. New blades aren't on, but I do know how to do that. The belts are in good condition and don't need to be changed.

What I don't want to do is spend a lot of time trying this and that, not being familiar with planer tune ups, only to end up needing someone to come in anyway. I called Grizzly and they neither have field techs nor companies that they sub out to for field calls.

So, anyone in my area (due South of Hagerstown, due west of Frederick, 25 minutes from both) with the know how, that wants to come out and tinker? I'll be more than happy to help. To use an analogy, I just don't want to change the battery, spark plugs and oil on my car when what it needs is the timing belt to be adjusted...which I don't know how to do...

If you are available, let me know what you want for it. Cash, beer, cash and beer....

Thanks.

Frederick Rowe
03-20-2010, 1:10 PM
What is the planer doing or not doing for which you think it needs to be tuned up. Setting blades and belt tension are pretty much all you should need to do on a periodic basis. Sounds like the motor is running smoothly, so I'm sure what's left to tune?

If you've planed some lumber, is it being pulled through the planer smoothly?

Mike Cruz
03-20-2010, 2:21 PM
Well, I through a piece of 6/4 poplar (about 2 feet long) in and the result was not just a good bit of front end (leading end of piece of wood) snipe, but chattery snipe. And there was also snipe on the trailing end of the wood.

My concern is that I don't know what the original owner did/didn't do to this machine to maintain/tune it. He may have tried to tune it himself, and that is why it cuts so poorly now. Or the cut quality could be due to transportation from the original owner to its last owner, then to me. There was a lot of "road time' involved. I wouldn't be too surprised if some pot holes etc, knocked some things out of place. Of course, it isn't like the thing flew off my truck into a tree or anything. :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I know that there are lower roller adjustments, feed roller adjustments, etc.

Asw for pulling through the planer, yeah, it seemed to pull through well enough, but it was just poplar, it was short, and about 8" in width.

Thanks for asking questions and responding, Frederick.