PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 1" vs 5/8" Tool Post

John Grounds
03-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Did this mod the end of December following instructions available on the net. Wanted to use it awhile before drawing any conclusions. So far I would say the 1" tool post "Just feels right".

The attached photo shows the 1" tool post on the left and the original 5/8" tool post on the right.

John

Steve Mawson
03-20-2010, 1:21 PM
Any particulars on were this banjo came from and the cost? Looking at the picture I am guessing the 1" post is on the left. Glad you like the new one and it is doing the job.

John Grounds
03-20-2010, 1:27 PM
Any particulars on were this banjo came from and the cost? Looking at the picture I am guessing the 1" post is on the left. Glad you like the new one and it is doing the job.

:o Got it at Packard but they appear to be out of stock. :o

John

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2010, 3:10 PM
John looks like a great mod. Glad to hear it is working good for you.

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 3:31 PM
This is something I would consider. The only, and I do mean only, complaint I have with the 46-460 is that the toolrest works loose on mine when roughing out. It always does it at the worst time - not sure there is a good time to have a loose tool rest!:eek:

What was the overall cost and can you post the link to the instructions?

John Grounds
03-20-2010, 4:26 PM

This base was selling at $39 plus shipping. It would be best to look around at AAW instead of a link (TOS).

John

Alan Zenreich
03-20-2010, 5:33 PM
I looked for it at Packards a couple of days ago and no luck.

When I saw it on clearance a few months ago, I didn't purchase because I wasn't sure which lathe my wife would wind up with (she had an LA200 and recently got the 46-460).

It would be nice to have a 1" toolpost on her lathe so we could share toolrests between her machine and my Nova DVR XP.

So if anyone finds a source for a replacement banjo for the Delta, I'd be interested.

Jeff Fagen
03-20-2010, 6:16 PM
While you're on the subject I have trouble with the banjo loosening when I have a large out of round chunk on my Ricon mini lathe.I have to retighten
nearly every pass.
I tried adjusting the mounting nut under it but no help.:mad:

Do I need a heavier banjo?

David E Keller
03-20-2010, 6:22 PM
I've had similar trouble on my Rikon midi lathe, and I used a wooden mallet(homemade) to 'encourage' the banjo to stay tight... It's not fool proof, but I had less trouble with loosening after using the hammer.

Peter Lamb
03-20-2010, 7:19 PM
JohnK, a T nut should solve your loosening problem. A machine shop should be able to make one for you. I also saw one for sale somewhere but can,t remember where. It was $35. Nice effort on coffee, you might try a lower setting to reduce chance of cracking.
Peter

Bill Noce
03-20-2010, 9:24 PM
John...check Monster Lathe Tools, Randy sells T nuts for Mini Lathes 2 for $35.00..you can use one on the tool rest and tail stock, works great.

www.monster-lathe-tools.com (http://www.monster-lathe-tools.com)

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2010, 10:06 PM
This is something I would consider. The only, and I do mean only, complaint I have with the 46-460 is that the toolrest works loose on mine when roughing out. It always does it at the worst time - not sure there is a good time to have a loose tool rest!:eek:

John if you have adjusted the nut under the banjo so it is almost going past it's top dead center when tightened firmly, and it still likes to move than you could make a square plate under the banjo.
I haven't had a problem with my 46-460 yet, but I did with my previous LA200, and I made a plate for the banjo and tailstock, it's easily done from some flat stock thats as wide as you can fit under the ways and 8 to 10 mm thick, and a couple 3 inches long, worked fine for me, and I might have to do it for my 46-460 if I do have trouble keeping things from moving, mind you the excenter shaft on the LA200 is much thinner than on the 46-460.
Here is two pictures that I made at the time, HTH.

Jeff Fagen
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys,I knew you had the answer.
I ordered a set of T nuts.Now I'll be :D

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 7:57 AM
Leo, thanks for the post. My "slippage" is occuring with the post of the rest, not the banjo. The banjo locks down tight, and I have not really experienced a problem with that.

I actually think it is the cheap cast iron tool rest post that is giving me problems. The shank of both the long and short rests are really scarred up already. I have an "S" rest from PSI that I don't have near as much problems with. May have to investigate a new rest with a little harder post.

Steve Mawson
03-21-2010, 9:30 AM
I wonder if Delta has softened the posts a little. I looked at both of mine and there are no dimples at all. 7-8 months old now. I have had the set screw pretty tight several times. Just a thought. Might be worth a call to Delta??

Justin Stephen
03-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I've had a little bit of the problem that John described but not too bad yet. Mostly, I'd just like to replace the post tightening handle on my 46-460 with a more comfortable to use one. The tailstock slide and banjo handles are much nicer.

Wally Dickerman
03-21-2010, 12:16 PM
John, the 1-inch post tool rest is very big improvement to your lathe. I've always considered the 5/8 in. post on the mini's to be poor design. When the 12-inch swing Jet and Delta came out I was very disappointed when I discovered they also came with the too-small tool rest post. If a tool rest any longer than 6 inches is used, the 5/8 post just isn't strong enough and solid enough.

Wally

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2010, 2:56 PM
Leo, thanks for the post. My "slippage" is occuring with the post of the rest, not the banjo. The banjo locks down tight, and I have not really experienced a problem with that.

I actually think it is the cheap cast iron tool rest post that is giving me problems. The shank of both the long and short rests are really scarred up already. I have an "S" rest from PSI that I don't have near as much problems with. May have to investigate a new rest with a little harder post.

Sorry John, I guess we use the "Toolrest" often to mean the whole combination of rest and banjo, I should have a look at mine if there's a way to improve on it, the bold that holds the rest should be nice and flat to have the most possible contact area, I wonder if surface hardening could be done on that cast iron, I know they do some of that on the bed-ways of metal lathes, wonder how difficult that would be with just the shaft part of the tool-rest, maybe getting or making another tool-rest would be easier and more economical though :rolleyes: :)

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 3:33 PM
No problem, Leo! Good point on the bearing surface of the bolt - I will have to look at that. It is leaving straight line scarring, so it may not be flat.

Jeff Nicol
03-21-2010, 5:08 PM
I have had no issues with my 46-460 yet. I just turned a 12 1/4" red oak bowl about 3" thick and I had no issues with the tool rest. Just like everything using a tool properly will give you better results than forcing it to do something it is not made to do. It is still a small lathe, but I would like a 1" post so I can use others that I have in it to. I may have to make a banjo myself with a 1" opening. More fun that way and cheaper too!

Nice upgrade,

Jeff