PDA

View Full Version : How to find an angle on this protractor?

bob stotts
03-20-2010, 9:49 AM
I just bought a 7 inch starrett miter saw protractor and run into this problem from the git go. I have a outside corner with one side that is long and the other is only 3 inch's long, so the protractor willn't fit around it. Does anyone with this unit have a way to use this protractor this to find the angle of this outside corner? I do have a sliding tee bevel but was hoping this would let me use it a lot less. thanks

Dick Bringhurst
03-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Place a straight edge on the 3" leg so it sticks out past the long edge and measure the inside angle. Then subtract from 180. Dick B.

bob stotts
03-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Dick thanks for the quick reply. Just so I know what I am doing. the angle is 44 is that what I subtract from 180 or do I not realy understand this, to get both angles. thanks

Dick Bringhurst
03-20-2010, 1:21 PM
A picture would be worth........ Take a piece of paper or card board and cut it to the 136* angle and see if it fits. The straight edge is 180* so the remainder is 136#. That's a pretty flat angle. Try the paper. Dick B.

Rich Engelhardt
03-20-2010, 7:42 PM
Bob,
I used a contour gauge to transfer the angle to a larger sheet of paper, then I use a straight edge to extend the lines.

I laid the Starrett job site protractor to measure the extended lines then.