PDA

View Full Version : Spindle sander?????

Brian Greb
03-20-2010, 9:45 AM
I am looking at getting a oscillating spindle sander, I have grown sick of using a drill/drill press with a drum in it. So here is the pregnant question which sander do I get?

1. HF bench top spindle sander for 79.99.

2. Triton bench top sander form wood craft.

3. Ridgid spindle/edge sander (199.00)

4. Delta SA350K (249.00)

so which one would be best? I'm tight on space and cash so I want to keep it cheap and small. I just don't want to regret my purchase later. The delta is the top end of my current budget, so if I missed a machine that is under that threshold that is superior let me know.

Bob Carreiro
03-20-2010, 9:51 AM
IMO, the Ridgid spindle/edge sander by far!
It does spindle sanding as best as the rest, and edge sanding well.

Greg Cuetara
03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I second the Ridgid Sander. I purchased it thinking it would be an ok purchase to get me by and it is one of the most used tools in the shop. I love the feature of the edge sander.

John Thompson
03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Nine years ago I needed a spindle sander as I make a lot of templates for arches even though I final finish them with a over-head bearing bit on the router table. I didn't want to spend much at the time so on a whim I dropped by HD and picked up a $99 Ryobi on a gamble thinking I would up-grade to an industrial Jet in a year or so.

Well.. tons of work across that sander and haven't found a need to up-grade at this point. I frankly wouldn't trade it even for the Delta. I have used the Ridgid and it's good.. can't comment on the HF or Triton which surprisingly enough looks like my Ryobi in another color?

So.. if you don't depend on a spindle sander daily I would sink a lot of money into one as prices can be decieving on what they can do IMO.

Good luck...

Stephen Edwards
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
The HF spindle sander is a very good sander for the money. It is a spindle sander only, not an edge sander. I've had mine for two years and it has handled everything I've asked it to do. No regrets for having bought it.

When I was researching for my purchase the only difference that I found between the HF and the Triton is the color scheme and the price. Other than that, they seem to be identical.

glenn bradley
03-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I bought the Ridgid as so many folks here have liked it. I am very glad I did because I learned that I use the belt much more than the spindle and would never have known that. It has been a great little machine for the money and I would recommend it. I believe like myself and others, you may find the spindle great to have but, the belt is quite useful.

Sean Nagle
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I would recommend either the Jet or General spindle sanders. They are slightly more expensive than those on your list, but they are very substantial machines.

Bill Huber
03-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Another Ridgid buyer and I love the thing.....

I use it all the time, it is one of the tools in the shop that I would really hate to give up.

I use the belt and a V-27 Incra miter gauge to sneak up on 45 degree miter cuts. The table will tilt at a 45 degree angle so you can work on wide miters also.

Bill White
03-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Ridgid here too.
Bill

Myk Rian
03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
+5 or 6 on the Ridgid. I have it on my flip table with the planer on the other side.

Bruce Page
03-20-2010, 1:04 PM
I don’t think the Ridgid was out when I bought my Delta but I have been happy with it. It has good power and great dust collection when hooked up to a shop vac. A lot of people always seem to be very pleased with the Ridgid so you should definitely give it a hard look. Personally, I don’t buy anything from HF that has a tail..

Neil Brooks
03-20-2010, 1:11 PM
+7 or +8 on the Ridgid.

I bought a selection of various grit belts and "rolls," too, lending even more versatility to the already excellent machine.

$200 ... with free shipping? I'd do it again ... in the blink of an eye.

Jim McFarland
03-20-2010, 1:45 PM
I don't have much floor / benchtop space so I use a PC 121 "hand held" OSS attached to a router table plate for spindle sanding. Pricey for what you get but does solve the floor space problem for me. Attaching to router plate allows me to use existing router dust collection, too. I use the Bench Dog table saw wing router system.

tyler mckee
03-20-2010, 1:45 PM
Whatever you do don't put the ridgid in the back of your truck and forget to close the tailgate, it held up very well, only broke a small plastic guide for the edge sander and bent the shaft. Mine still works but i can't the vibration out of it, need to bite the bullet and get a new one. It's a great tool, mine has the belt on it 98% of the time.

Paul Ryan
03-20-2010, 1:47 PM
I bought the Ridgid as so many folks here have liked it. I am very glad I did because I learned that I use the belt much more than the spindle and would never have known that. It has been a great little machine for the money and I would recommend it. I believe like myself and others, you may find the spindle great to have but, the belt is quite useful.

+1 on Glens comments. I bought the ridgid about 3 years ago and have worn out numerous belts of different grits but I am still on the same spindles. I use the belt 95% of the time. It is the perfect size, well I wish it was 2" taller, but length wise. The rounded ends in different sizes is the key to the belt. It allows you to sand most inside and out side curves with out changing the belt. Refurbished units can be had for under $150 often.

mreza Salav
03-20-2010, 2:00 PM
Owner of the Ridgid one and it's a good "spindle" sander, the belt is Ok but not that good. It's not going to give you a perfectly flat edge and 90 degree (like for glue joint) as the surface beneath the belt isn't very flat. Learned it the hard way a couple of times before I stopped using it for precise work.
I use the spindle version mostly and will get a larger edge sander.

Dave Cav
03-20-2010, 2:15 PM
I have the HF. It's a lot more solid and substantial than I expected and it fills my limited spindle sander needs just fine.

Neil Brooks
03-20-2010, 2:35 PM
Owner of the Ridgid one and it's a good "spindle" sander, the belt is Ok but not that good. It's not going to give you a perfectly flat edge and 90 degree (like for glue joint) as the surface beneath the belt isn't very flat. Learned it the hard way a couple of times before I stopped using it for precise work.

Interesting.

While I could see what you mean, I cannibalized an OEM miter gauge from another tool, put a fat dado in some scrap mahogany, to allow it to fit the Ridgid's slot properly, then glued the miter gauge's bar into the dado.

It's now a very straight, well-fitting miter gauge ... with a truly elegant piece of mahogany :)

Now ... when I need a sharp, flat, edge, I use the miter gauge, and do NOT push it hard against the belt.

So far ... it's worked pretty darned well ... according to my engineer's square, and the applications in which I've attached the sanded stock.

Mike Zilis
03-20-2010, 3:10 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but here's another vote for the Ridgid. I love mine. Whatever you do, try to get a second set of sleeves in a higher grit. The 60 grit that came with my Ridgid is great for aggressive removal but 100 or 120 grit would be better for "sneaking" up on it.

Bill Huber
03-20-2010, 3:15 PM

Mine is flat, I did have to adjust the table to the belt. I use it all the time to shorten up a miter joint.

Joe Leigh
03-20-2010, 3:15 PM
Can't say enough about the Rigid sander. I'm actually using the belt more than the spindle. Also it takes standard 4 x 24 belts so you can use a variety of grits.

Brian Greb
03-20-2010, 4:47 PM
so I take it I should get the ridgid... I'm going to go drool over one and see if I want to pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the input guys.
This out pouring of personal reviews is why I love this site, As always I'll post with my final decision, and pics of the sander in my shop.;)

mreza Salav
03-20-2010, 4:49 PM
Mine is flat, I did have to adjust the table to the belt. I use it all the time to shorten up a miter joint.

I know the table is adjustable.
Here is one thing to try: join two 10" or so edges on the jointer first (making sure they are glue ready). Then sand them on the sander a bit and try to join them again. If you still get perfect fit then maybe mine is a bad unit (although I have heard from a few others experiencing the same thing).

Brian Penning
03-20-2010, 7:54 PM
Whatever you do don't put the ridgid in the back of your truck and forget to close the tailgate, it held up very well, only broke a small plastic guide for the edge sander and bent the shaft. Mine still works but i can't the vibration out of it, need to bite the bullet and get a new one. It's a great tool, mine has the belt on it 98% of the time.

Hey! You the same dumm....er....I mean gentleman that wrapped his Grizzly TS around a tree?? LOL

+20 or 21 to the Ridgid. Though I have a real tough time getting the belt mechanism off when I do rarely have to use the spindle.

Bill Pitz
03-20-2010, 8:28 PM

I agree completely. I bought the Ridgid to sand curved valances and toekicks, and have found the belt to be more useful than the spindles. It's a very well designed and executed machine, and I think it's a great deal at 199. Just used the spindle yesterday to hog out the bottom of a TS insert before installing leveling screws.

Van Huskey
03-20-2010, 8:49 PM
If you want to stay in that price range the Rigid is an excellent machine for the price. You want want to look at the Grizzly spindle/ 12" disc combo machine if you want to spend more.

Terry Welty
03-20-2010, 9:23 PM
Ridgid Aint Wrong...