PDA

View Full Version : A couple of dyed bowls

Marc Himes
03-20-2010, 8:42 AM
Hello everyone. I haven't posted in quite a while but I have been experimenting with color recently and wanted to share some pictures. I use aniline dyes and like to apply them in layers,sanding in between layers of color to get a range of color in the piece. Critiques and comments are welcome. This piece is Bird's Eye maple finished with Wipe Of Polly. There are more photos in my gallery.

145625 145626

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2010, 8:56 AM
Those really look good Marc. What color was the dye you use? Really well done.

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 9:00 AM
Nice work, Marc. Reminiscent of the process Cindy Drozda did with her Star Finial box on her DVD. I think the colors really work well on figured woods, but I am not crazy about them on clear grained woods.

You achieved a nice effect here, and a very nice bowl, too!

Curt Fuller
03-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Beautiful work with the colors. I really like the earthy look you've gotten. Nice gallery too.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Beautiful bowl Marc!

I remember seeing this one at the last meeting! It's a shame that photos can not show how the grain grabs the light and changes colors as you rotate the bowl! Really nice work!

Frank Van Atta
03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Very nice bowl. I especially like the detail on the rim.

Rich Aldrich
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Nice work, Marc. It shows another dimension of what you can do with turning. I really enjoyed your presentation at last month's meeting.

GLENN THOMAS
03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Marc,

Very nice work, I also looked at your galley and it looks like your doing well with dyes. I have recently started doing experiment with dyes as well and it looks like you have had more success than I have. The one thing I have learned is that the surface of your wood has to be flawless or the dye will tell on you. What brand dyes do you use and do you use a grain sealer before you apply the dye ? I just tried some leather dye the other day, the guy at the leather shop said people dye wood with that all the time, it sure is a lot cheaper that anything I have found at Woodcraft. It is also very concentrated if you don't dilute it. and it soaks into the wood deeper than any thing Ive ever seen. Again, nice work.

GT

Marc Himes
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I use primarily Artisan alcohol based dyes. The alcohol dies very quickly allowing me to apply a coat, let it dry, sand it down and then apply another layer of color. I start with the primary colors and layer them to achieve the effect I want. The bowl in the picture had about 6 different layers of red, blue and yellow with the yellow used very lightly at the end. Glenn is right about the surface, it will show whatever sanding marks are there. This can be used to create a textured effect with different colors showing up in the sanding marks. I haven't tried leather dye it sounds interesting. As for figure in the wood, it makes a great deal of difference and the dyes in my opinion don't have to detract from the figure but indeed can bring it out and amplify it. On the other hand the lack of figure does not stop me from dying a piece as the layered effect can work well with or without figure. Joe Landon has done some wonderful dyed hollow forms posted on another website that served as an inspiration to me.

David E Keller
03-20-2010, 2:51 PM
Very nice coloring... Reminds me of a glazed ceramic piece but with a much smoother finish. It's a keeper... now I'm off to see your gallery.

James Roberts
03-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Beautiful. It has a very old world look to it, almost a aged patina in an old wood form. Viewing all these dyed forms makes me want to experiment as well. Another idea for the to do list.