PDA

View Full Version : Aniline Dye

Hans Braul
03-20-2010, 7:18 AM
I have ordered a couple of packets of aniline dye to experiment with some cherry. It is water based. Can I add small quantities of concentrated dye to shellac? Is the water compatible with the alcohol? I know it works well with single malt....

Hans

Frederick Rowe
03-20-2010, 8:03 AM
Can I add small quantities of concentrated dye to shellac?Yes. What makes dyes so versatile is that it can be used as a colorant to other finishes, or applied directly to wood.

Is the water compatible with the alcohol?Yes, as you alluded in your beverage example. Alcohol is hygroscopic. However, typically when dye is mixed with alcohol the purpose is to diminish grain raising. When applying dyes in an alcohol solution, work quickly, because the alcohol will quickly evaporate. That will leave little time to make fine adjustments to areas where too much dye was applied. Additionally, alcohol in an aerosol is flammable, so proper venting is required.

Dye in a water solution will raise the wood grain, but will allow time to mop up any excess, or feather an area where the wood grain has absorbed the dye unevenly. Water in an aerosol is harmless, so it can be sprayed without much venting.

As for mixing alcohol with water? Aside from Whiskey, I have not tried it myself, but I think you'd loose any measurable characteristics of the alcohol, and still have some grain raising. Perhaps the same could be said about Whiskey.

As for grain raising; you can either knock down the nubs with an fine abrasive woven pad, or "bury" the nubs in your following applications of finish. Experiment with both - depends on whether your finish schedule includes a film building coat. You'll regularly hear woodworkers say that after using dyes, they'll not go back to "all in one' stain products. Dyes can also be used in conjunction with gels and glazes for a near limitless variety of effects.