PDA

View Full Version : Festool pre-gloat questions (sorry, no pics)

Martin Shupe
11-07-2004, 3:02 PM
OK, whoever posted the "Festool on Ebay thread" last week should help me answer the following questions.

I bought the Festool 150/3 sander. Paid 175 + shipping.

I just got home today, and unpacked the box that arrived Friday.

It was advertised as "used", but in good condition, with full warranty. I emailed the guy and he said he was a Festool dealer until a couple weeks ago. He was liquidating his inventory.

1) What should be included in the box?

I have the sander, one plastic support for the dust bag, a dust bag, and a plug. They also threw in one new sanding disk.

2) Here is my problem. During inspection of the sander, I noticed that the "slightly used" sanding disc looked like it had snagged on something...it was torn. On further inspection, the sanding "pad" is very torn, i.e., the rubber is separated fully half of the circle. I think this would (a) not last very long under actual use, and (b) result in poor dust collection, as the air ducts are torn.

3) My question is, do these things ship "new" with a pad? or is that extra? Do I have a right to complain?

I think that if the pad is included with a "new" sander, then I should be refunded the cost of purchasing a new pad.

I will be making up an order for Uncle Bob soon, so this is not a big impact, but I think the seller should replace it, or rebate me the cost of a new one.

I welcome your comments and opinions before I state my case to the seller.

Thanks, as always.

Dennis Peacock
11-07-2004, 3:09 PM
Martin,

Is it the Hook-n-Loop pad? If so...yes...it is supposed to have a good pad on the bottom of it. At that price, you should have gotten one that is pratically brand new.....It's a GREAT sander.

Martin Shupe
11-07-2004, 3:28 PM
Yeah, I probably paid too much for a "used" one. Yes, it is a hook and loop pad.

Thanks for the quick answer Dennis, and by the way, you did an awesome job sharpening my chisels!!! I have used them and they cut beautifully! Thanks again!

Now I have to get a Tormek, but first I have to get a fancy Festool vacuum, er, "dust extractor", or whatever they call it. :D

Christian Aufreiter
11-07-2004, 5:03 PM
OK, whoever posted the "Festool on Ebay thread" last week should help me answer the following questions.

I bought the Festool 150/3 sander. Paid 175 + shipping.

I just got home today, and unpacked the box that arrived Friday.

It was advertised as "used", but in good condition, with full warranty. I emailed the guy and he said he was a Festool dealer until a couple weeks ago. He was liquidating his inventory.

1) What should be included in the box?

I have the sander, one plastic support for the dust bag, a dust bag, and a plug. They also threw in one new sanding disk.

2) Here is my problem. During inspection of the sander, I noticed that the "slightly used" sanding disc looked like it had snagged on something...it was torn. On further inspection, the sanding "pad" is very torn, i.e., the rubber is separated fully half of the circle. I think this would (a) not last very long under actual use, and (b) result in poor dust collection, as the air ducts are torn.

3) My question is, do these things ship "new" with a pad? or is that extra? Do I have a right to complain?

I think that if the pad is included with a "new" sander, then I should be refunded the cost of purchasing a new pad.

I will be making up an order for Uncle Bob soon, so this is not a big impact, but I think the seller should replace it, or rebate me the cost of a new one.

I welcome your comments and opinions before I state my case to the seller.

Thanks, as always.

Hi Martin,

if I remember correctly my sander included the Systainer (+insert), one P 120 Brilliant sanding disk, a dust bag, the support for the bag and a PlugIt power cord (detachable). Of course, a sanding pad is was also included, I think it's usually the soft type.
Yes, the sanding pad should be in good condition in order to work properly. I'd also inspect the pad brake (this rubber "ring" under the sanding pad). You can remove the sading pad by loosening the screw in the middle of it, a hex wrench should be included, it's usually attached to the sander.

I also think that $ 175 is pretty much for a used one. Did you get full - 3 year warranty?
A new sander should cost $ 225, shipping is free at the moment.
Just in the case that you don't get a new sanding pad, it costs about $ 25.

Hope this helps,

Christian