PDA

View Full Version : Combo Shadow Box

James Combs
03-19-2010, 11:09 PM
This is a shadow box I made for the General Manager of one of our local DQs. He wanted key hooks, shelves, and a closed area. (probably hiding something from his significant other):).

Notes of interest:
- It is made entirely from pre-finished scraped flat panel cabinet doors.
- The sides are the rails and/or the styles.
- The back is of course the flat panel.
- I used bright brass hardware.
- The hinges are semi concealed
- The small internal drop down door uses small kerf hinges
- The shelves and drop down are more of the flat panel
- I striped some of the veneer off of scrap pieces of the panel to veneer the shelf edges maintaining the pre-finished quality.
- the drop down door pull and the shelf supports are pieces of one side of the original rail dado that accepted the panel. The joints are all doweled and glued, including the door frame joints.
- The main door is recessed into the box by the amount of the original dado depth for the flat panel. (one side of the dado is cut away.)

Why use a scrap door. Because I have hundreds if not thousands of them.:D I get them on a regular basis from a local cabinet manufacturer. Aaannd! it keeps me from having to do finishing.;)

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 7:24 AM
Nice work, JD, and a good use of salvaged materials. You did an excellent job on the design, and I am hoping the DQ will reciprocate with some coffee and biscuits, at the least!!

John Thompson
03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Great use of the scrap doors as your fellow Kentuckian mentioned and nice work. If you have hundreds to thousands you appear to be facing a challenge on creating small projects to use them for. If you are doing it just for fun you might consider some small items local shelters could really use and donate some finished items. I used to do that in the past and found it very rewarding.. not monetarily rewarding but everything is not about money or shouldn't be. ;)