PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you to the AAW!

Jack Mincey
03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
After Christmas this year my teaching postion moved to our counties School of Alternatives which is for students that have difficulties succeeding in the normal schools. Knowing that I would be teaching there after Christmas I wrote a grant to the AAW for funds to buy two new lathes for the shop on this campus. While there was one good lathe there and I've been able to use our local AAW club mini lathe there was a need for a few more. I found out this week that my school was awarded the grant which allowed us to order two new Delta 46-460's for our schools shop classes. I will post updates as we get the lathes and how they hold up with students using them. In the short time I've been at the new school the students have become very involved in wood turning. They will ask to take their bowls out to show their teachers and sometimes their parents even before they are dry. It is great to see them excited about their ability to create something on the lathe. I have a few that are starting to get good very quick.
I'm going to ask a favor of fellow creekers. The shop is going to need a few more turning tools for the new lathes coming in. I've taken in 4 of mine already and will most likely take a few more in when the lathes come in. If anyone has a turning tool are two that they never use, our shop could use them. I have been shaping some old tool that the school had all week so that they are of use. Any old gouge spindle or bowl and scrapers would be great. We can put handles on them and regrind them to be used.
Thanks everyone,
Jack Mincey
Jackson Co. School of Alternatives
3770 Skyland Drive
Sylva, NC 28779

Mark Hubl
03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Jack,

Thanks for posting this. Although I have only been a member of the AAW since the beginning of the year I am impressed with what they do and the services made available to their members. This is just another example of why I know why I will reup and support the organization.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
That is great news Jack. Keep us posted.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Jack, speaking for the AAW EOG (Education Opportunity Grant) Committee, let me say that the pleasure was all ours. It's people such as you that make the real difference. I'm glad we could help.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Jack - Congrats on winning the AAW EOG!

I am sure the new lathes are going to be a huge source of excitement for your students!

Best of luck with your tools request!

Jack Mincey
03-23-2010, 7:50 PM
It surprised me yesterday when the new lathes showed up. The school went ahead and ordered them when I learned that we where awarded the AAW grant. They are smooooooth runing lathes. I mounted the lathe in the first picture to a table we had in the shop. It has a crank handle under it that lets us raise or lower the table and lathe to the right height for each student. This is a very cool feature. The second lathe is mounted to an old cabinet that has been in our way all year. It worked out perfect for the lathe. I would like to think the creekers that have PM'd me about giving our shop some much needed tools. We can still use more if anyone has an old or new one that they don't use.
Thanks,
Jack Mincey
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1561.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1562.jpg

Brodie Brickey
03-23-2010, 7:57 PM
Jack,

How many students do you have in your program? Great looking lathes.

Roland Martin
03-23-2010, 8:05 PM
Congratulations on the grant Jack. The world needs more people like you. Best of luck with the students & the lathes.

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Jack - great to see that you already got the lathes! I am sure that the kids must have been thrilled!

I hope the good folks here can help out with some tools for your students! I know we all support the wonderful world of turning and help each other out on the Creek without even thinking about it. Here we have a chance to make a difference! Think of the positive impact this would have in the lives of these future turners!

Thanks for what you do Jack! Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Jack Mincey
03-24-2010, 3:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Brodie, we have 24 students that are enrolled in a shop class this term. I now have five lathes counting the two new ones for them to turn on. Most of the students are hooked on turning already. I stay very busy watching the students in action and keeping the tools we have sharp. When I came to this school after Christmas I found to new roughing gouges in a box with the tang and handle broke off. It scares me to thank how the tools might have been broken. I ground a new tang on both gouges over the last two days and put new handles on them. We still need more tools to keep all five lathes turning at the same time. Small scrapers and skew's are in short supply. We only have two 1/2" scrapes and skews to use between 5 lathes.

The Delta 46-460's are already getting a steady work out all day long. These lathes are very very nice. I will keep eveyone posted on how they hold up to the daily use of high school students. I think it is about as hard a place as one could find to test any tool out.
Thanks again,
Jack Mincey