PDA

View Full Version : For turning the really really hard woods

James Combs
03-19-2010, 10:13 PM
This is actually a gloat.:D When I picked up my G0690 (the flying Grizzly) I also had this G0516 combo lathe/mill in the truck but it stayed put. It was everything two of my neighbors and another friend and myself could do getting it from the truck to the temporary stand I made for it. That dude was heavy.:eek: We left it on the pallet for better control during the transfer. I was afraid it would roll over plus it was greasy and the pallet gave us better hand holds. I will be rigging a hoist from the ceiling joists to lift it off the pallet and square it up on the stand.;) The small pallet on the floor is the mill attachment. It wasn't as bad to handle as the lathe.

Mark Hubl
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Nice stuff James. Glad to hear that it didn't sprout wings!! Enjoy.

John McClanahan
03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I need a neighbor like you! :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Congrats James. Looks like a nice unit.

Dick Mahany
03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
James,

Please don't try the tree cutting experiment on this one !! Have fun and please post many pics. !

Jon Lanier
03-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I can't believe you didn't just throw that over you shoulder and carry it inside.

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 6:24 AM
OK, JD, you got my curiousity up!! What direction is this retirement shop headed??

Nice machine, and it looks to have arrived in much better condition!

Richard Madison
03-20-2010, 9:50 AM
Tool envy strikes again.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Bet that would work great on all those super dried hardwoods we end up fighting every once in a while! Does look like it would be a lot of fun to use! Enjoy!

Bruce Page
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
OK, JD, you got my curiousity up!! What direction is this retirement shop headed??

It looks like JD has some metal working in mind.

Excellent!

James Combs
03-20-2010, 9:03 PM
I guess I am just a jack of all trades and master of none. (gee someone should coin that line):D Actually I am not really into routines except eating and sleeping;). I prefer to do or learn to do something different on frequent occasions. I might turn some pens one day a bowel the next and then build a steam engine the next. I have plans for some miniature steam engines is the real reason for the mill/lathe combo. I have two working steam(compressed air) engines made from wood. I finished a shadow box Friday. Check it out in the "projects" forum if you like. Basically I love to tinker but don't particularly like a production (read repetitive) environment. All of these tools are my "tinker toys".:D

OK, JD, you got my curiosity up!! What direction is this retirement shop headed??

It looks like JD has some metal working in mind.

Excellent!

James Combs
03-20-2010, 9:14 PM
Oh and BTW I finished the mill/lathe installation today. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it.