PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hollowform w/ walnut finial

Curt Fuller
03-19-2010, 9:54 PM
I turned this from a piece of junk walnut, a small branch with a fork in it. It has one pith hole in the base and two pith holes near the top. It's 5" tall x 4" wide with a maple collar and a walnut finial. It's the first HF I've turned in quite a while. Reminded me of why I don't like hollowing. The finial has a small ball at the tip. If it looks like I screwed it up and tried to save it, it's because I did. It's screwed up in a lot of other ways too. I might just toss it and make a new one. But for some reason I kind of liked the wood in the HF. It's full of cracks, worm tracks and holes, pith holes and knots, lots of grayish sapwood, etc. I just seem to like that kind of wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I like it Curt! Nice form - really like the wood - especially the last photo! It's a keeper in my book! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Really nice looking HF Curt. I like it. Finial doesn't look bad at all.

Curt Fuller
03-19-2010, 10:12 PM
And, although I don't have any turkeys in the yard, I do have a bunch of other nosey neighbors. The first pic is a small buck looking at me through the window. The other pic is him and his harem in the yard grubbing for acorns.

Mark Hubl
03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Curt,

I think it looks great. I always like your stuff and this piece is no exception. I think the proportions are good and the curve of the piece is good. I think the finial is fine, but finials and me don't usually go on a second date.

Call me crazy, but I like pieces with what some would call imperfections. To me it's wood for goodness sake. Reminds me it is not plastic. I understand the more perfect piece is more salable but I like the natural aspects of the piece. It's a keeper.

And what's wrong with hollowing, you don't like the mind numbing sounds the scrapers can make or is it the leg numbing time standing in front of the lathe not moving?

Mark Hubl
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Just saw the deer. Uh oh, now the good Esquire from Kentucky has a photo challenge. I think there is going to be a block of salt in his future.:D

brian watts
03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
And, although I don't have any turkeys in the yard, I do have a bunch of other nosey neighbors. The first pic is a small buck looking at me through the window. The other pic is him and his harem in the yard grubbing for acorns.

very nice . wish i know how to do stuff like alot of people on here. and you all are killing me with ALL the deer and turkeys .. :D

Baxter Smith
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Very nice. A little different shape than most I have seen but I like it a lot! Great wood as well and the finial is fine!

Steve Campbell
03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Curt; I love the hf. Walnut is one of my favorites.
When was the deer picture taken? Around here all the bucks lose their racks in early Dec. Great picture I love seeing the deer..........

Steve

David E Keller
03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I like the hollow form a lot... I agree with you and the others that a piece of wood with some irregularities often makes for a better finished product. This is a great example of that idea.

Steve Mawson
03-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Curt,
I would say that is a keeper. Nothing wrong with it at all. Still have not tried that finial thing. If you dont like it, I can give you my address. Like the deer but most of the one's I see around here seem to be sleeping by the hiway-probably forever. Good for the body shop folks.

John Keeton
03-20-2010, 7:48 AM
Curt, you have done a few other turnings with "character wood" (prefer that to "junk" wood!) and this one is an excellent example of your fine work. This piece of walnut has some beautiful color, and the "defects" simply add to the character. Great finish that well suits the piece, and I think the finial is in keeping with the overall look of the form - nice!

And, I don't have any mulies running around the house here in KY. But, since we are in "show and tell" mode here, the first pic is taken out the back window, and the second from the front window. My buck's bigger than your buck....:D:D

Roland Martin
03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Certainly a very nice HF Curt. There's absolutely nothing wrong with character. The form is nice as is the finial. I can only wish I'll be able to turn like this at some point!

Richard Madison
03-20-2010, 10:12 AM
That's a great little piece Curt. In this neck of the woods "crappy" wood sells better than the good stuff.

This is our little buddy "Notch", bravest of the '07 local fawn crop. He's gone off to stake out his own territory, but it was fun having him around for a while.

John Tomasello jr
03-20-2010, 4:53 PM
Great job, always nice to take scrap & turn it into beauty

James Roberts
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Very nicely done, Curt. The character in wood can be found in some of the least desirable looking pieces, much the same as with people. You've done a fine job in bringing it out in this piece.

Curt Fuller
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, I just didn't like the finial so I turned a different finial, made the collar smaller, and got it buffed. Whatyathink know?

BTW, the deer pics were taken in February, but they're still hanging around the yard and haven't dropped the antlers as of this morning. I suspect they will any day now though. This is a small herd that moved in a couple years ago when we had some very deep snow that pushed them out of the mountains. But they must like the suburban living because they haven't left, even in the summer.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 6:16 AM
Curt, while the first one looked fine, I do think I like the remake better, mostly from the smaller collar, I think. This finial probably does suit the form a little better, too.

BTW, I think folks tend to not go back to a thread, and you may get more responses by posting a new thread.

dean griffith
03-21-2010, 9:03 AM
Nice job Curt, great choice of colors and the photography is great too

Jeff Luedloff
03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
great hollow form, and the picture of that buck looking in the window of a wood turner not a great idea for him, I see pens sticking out of his head...LOL

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 11:09 AM
The new finial sure changes the look of the piece! I do like the collar better but find either of your finials work well! The new one does have a more balanced feel to it though!

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I like wood that is not perfect also. I think that it has a more natural since to it. I like the redo on the top.
Oh and here is my deer picture.