PDA

View Full Version : Laser Exhaust Ideas

Terry Swift
03-19-2010, 6:08 PM
All,

I'm new to all of this laser stuff and purchased a Universal M300 unit. Now is the fun of placement. I want to put it up in my loft area as that would be the most convenient location to run projects from my office computers located in almost same location.

My dilema is that I can't find a window kit that will duct the exhaust out the window in the loft.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Home Depot said to get some plywood, etc. - that you can cut a hole the size of a dryer duct and run the exhaust that way.

:):):):):):):):):):):):)

David Fairfield
03-19-2010, 6:29 PM
I have never regretted the more permanent solution-- a standard dryer duct outlet cut through the interior to the exterior wall. I thought about the temporary window thing, but decided it was going to be more trouble over the long run.

Dave

Dee Gallo
03-19-2010, 8:23 PM
I'm with Dave - I have never regretted the decision to cut a hole through the wall to the outside either.

I did once install a dog flap through an open window with wood/foamboard as a way to keep the weather out... found out a year later that propping the window up so long stressed out the weight system and the window never worked right after that, would not stay open on its own. So replacing the window cost more in the long run than any convenience gained by giving up a window.

cheers, dee

Richard Rumancik
03-19-2010, 8:30 PM
Depending on the construction, you could also consider running it through the ceiling and then to the wall. Sometimes this can be less obtrusive and exhausting high can be an advantage.

AL Ursich
03-19-2010, 8:31 PM
When I first setup my shop I planned for 8 Laser Engravers and went a little overboard with my exhaust. I cut back to 1 Dryer type vent as the direction of my business went more toward Sublimation and CNC wood signs.

This was major overkill.... The plan was to do Pen Boxes for the Medical Shows in large quantities... It never fully got off the ground before the rules changed for medical gifts...

About the only use for the pipes was for the Rat Snake to go after the bird nests.... He didn't have any luck that day...

If you do a search of Exhaust Systems, I remember seeing pictures of a few... Some choose to place the exhaust blower outside under a enclosure so any leaks in the piping draw air out of your room. Placing the blower inside the room then any leaks pushes nasty air into your breathing area.

My blowers were located in a outer back room.

Another thing to be aware of is when your laser is exhausting, it could back draft your Heating System, Water Heater, or Fireplace:eek:. I use a LP Gas Direct Vent heater in my shop for that reason.

Good Luck,

AL:D

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2010, 8:32 PM
I did the window thing and it's worked great for the last two years. I used a piece of 1/4" clear polycarbonate and a dryer vent kit, white duct tape to match the window frame to seal out the air around the edges. the window is double-hung so it's easy to install (and remove).

Stanley Waldrup
03-19-2010, 9:27 PM
[

Another thing to be aware of is when your laser is exhausting, it could back draft your Heating System, Water Heater, or Fireplace:eek:. I use a LP Gas Direct Vent heater in my shop for that reason.

Good Luck,

AL:D[/QUOTE]

Never thought of that... Thanks

James Terry
03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
In most wood construction, repairing an outside and inside wall is easy enough. But you might also consider going through the ceiling and then out through the soffit so there's no chance of water leaks. I strongly suggest just not cutting any holes in the actual roof. It never ever goes well in the end. Leaks just happen, they always do. Once up in the attic, you can exit through a gable wall if there is one.

If you are going to be a high use laser, you might want to do a smoke stack like in the previous photos to get the exhaust up and above the house level.

I would say do it temporary for awhile and get a feel for your usage. I myself have a very long 4" duct pipe that I just unroll out the garage to the end of the driveway. I might change this if I use the laser more than I am, but it works for now.

Frank Corker
03-20-2010, 6:54 AM
James if that 4" pipe is too far rolled out you will reduce the extraction inside the cabinet. Your extractor needs to be fairly powerful to chuck out fumes at a good rate.

Dave Johnson29
03-20-2010, 1:21 PM
My dilema is that I can't find a window kit that will duct the exhaust out the window in the loft.

Terry,

I am also with the hole in the wall, crowd. Here's mine for some inspiration...

www.lasercottage.com/links/admin_extractor.htm (http://www.lasercottage.com/links/admin_extractor.htm)

Terry Swift
03-20-2010, 1:51 PM
I think the out the window way will work for me; but I can always duct it thru my ceiling and up to a roof turbine to exhaust outside the attic. I like Dave's idea; but my garage is a long way away from my loft area. I have electricity in my attic for lights, etc. - so maybe I could put the exhaust fan up there out of the way and more noise free in my home, as I have no clue how much noise the fan makes.

Dave Johnson29
03-20-2010, 2:04 PM
I have no clue how much noise the fan makes.

More than enough to not have it inside. :)

David Fairfield
03-20-2010, 3:56 PM
The remote switch that Dave J uses is a good idea. I use an inexpensive on-off foot switch from HFT. Because I don't have to reach for a wall switch, I can switch the extractor on and off instantly, which saves a little heat / electricity and avoids back strain of constantly leaning over for the switch.

Randy Digby
03-20-2010, 5:01 PM
Just a thought in reference to blowers in the attic - Consider installing a smoke or rate-of-rise heat detector in your attic space, especially if you are going to have powered equipment running up there out of sight. I have detectors installed anyway because I have responded to several residential structure fires caused by lightning strikes. Several of them had the attic space well involved before the homeowners knew they had a fire.

Good luck with the laser and the install - have fun.

Chris Tatarian
03-21-2010, 8:10 PM
Is that a snake in the second pic. going up the roof?

AL Ursich
03-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Is that a snake in the second pic. going up the roof?

Yes, a Rat Snake I believe.... He was after Lunch.... I changed his mind and he started to escape clinging to the T1-11 for about 8 feet until he fell... Then off he went...

Lots of snakes here... Rattle Snakes too... My shop in in the middle of a old Christmas Tree patch...

AL

Greg Persinger
03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Greetings all,

I am new to the world of Laser engraving as I am looking into getting into the business to engrave custom industrial control panels. As such I have been reading through the forums with great interest.

I completely understand the need for a good exhaust system but wonder how much this will affect heating and cooling if running a large project and having the exhaust fan running all day long.

Has anyone ever built a fresh air intake for a laser engraver? Is this even possible with the way the machines are built?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Greg Persinger

Still looking for a machine to buy

Dave Johnson29
03-22-2010, 1:19 PM
Has anyone ever built a fresh air intake for a laser engraver? Is this even possible with the way the machines are built?

Greg,

Welcome and do some searching here on filtration systems. There was a bunch of commercial and home built versions discussed a few months back. Mostly they use filters and charcoal and it recycles the air in the roof as the exhaust systems can affect heating and cooling.

Viktor Voroncov
03-22-2010, 3:16 PM
Greg, welcome and here is information for you:
http://4volt.com/Blog/archive/2009/06/09/diy-3-stage-air-filter.aspx

We have translate and post this article on our site, and till that time we do not sell any industrial cleaning system :(

Greg Persinger
03-23-2010, 2:44 AM
Thanks Dave I must have missed that discussion as I was looking specifically for exhaust systems. I will look again.

Viktor thanks for the link.

Greg Persinger