PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi M12V2 vs M12VC

Nathan Callender
03-19-2010, 5:35 PM
Hey all - I'm planning on getting a new router that will be primarily used in a table but occasionally free handed. I have a small Craftsman 1.5hp single speed router that is good for small detail work, but I've been doing some cabinet raised panel doors and have a 20 more to make and need an upgrade. :-)

So, I'm trying to choose between these two. The big debate is that I'm trying to find one of the quieter routers, which is what is drawing me toward the VC, but I'd also like as much power as possible for the table. Also, for those that have either, or both, I'm not going to be using a lift in the table, so that's another point to take into consideration.

So, for mostly table use, occasional free hand use, and with a focus on keeping the noise down a little, which way would you go and why?

Victor Robinson
03-19-2010, 5:44 PM
My first router was a M12VC. You absolutely cannot beat the price on it - Amazon sometimes has the kit with plunge base for $99, which is what I got it for. An absolute steal at that price, and class-leading noise levels. It is lightweight and easy to control. It has done everything that I've asked it to do freehand. Yes, the two wrench bit changing is a little annoying but again, at that price, can you really complain?

I'm now building a router table. I really wanted to be able to put in a lift. I almost pulled the trigger on a Woodpeck PRL for the M12VC, but I quickly figured out I was just better off getting another router (actually cost me less). So I picked up a Triton MFC001 for $200. I'd urge you to consider this router - the reviews are very good and you'll also get above-the-table adjustment and bit changes.

I can't comment on power as I've never used a 3-1/4 HP and I've never used anything like panel-raising bits.

scott spencer
03-19-2010, 6:34 PM
If you've got 20 or more raised panel doors to make, do yourself a favor and get a 15 amp router, whether it's an M12V2, MW5625, Makita 3612, Bosch 1619, Freud FT3000, Freud FT2200, DW625, Triton TR001, or PC7518.

The M12VC is often a great value, it's light, very quiet, well balanced...great for dovetails and other hand use, but it's not exactly a powerhouse for a spinning big bits in a table. Even though the M12VC is my quietest router, I don't think the noise difference once you add the noise of the cutters is gonna make it worth substituting for a big gun.