PDA

View Full Version : Target Coatings WB Shellac

John Nesmith
03-19-2010, 5:30 PM
Man am I making a mess with this stuff.

I'm finishing a walnut entertainment console. After sanding to 220, I did a quick wipe with BLO. Wiped off all the excess, and the piece sat for a couple of weeks so the oil is dry.

I'm spraying with a 4 stage Graco 4900, using the smallest tip. Sprayed a coat of their water-based shellac. (To be followed by their lacquer if I ever get past this point) Everything looked good at this point. Came back to it a couple of days later and sanded with 320 stearated paper. Wiped off the dust, and I was left with a completely cloudy, milky finish. No amount of wiping reduced the milky cloudiness. I sprayed another coat to see if it would burn in and eliminate the cloudiness. It helped some, but it still looks like a mess.

I'm new to water based finishes, and have limited spraying experience, so I'm sure it is operator error.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong, and what the solution is?

Thanks for some help.

Jim Becker
03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm personally a big fan of Target Coatings water borne products as anyone who hangs around here more than about five minutes can figure out. But I don't prefer the water borne shellac product in the least. I prefer to use Zinsser SealCoat de-waxed shellac for sealing after oil and/or water soluble dye and before the EM6000 that I most often use as the top coat finish. I generally spray the shellac for larger projects, but will brush it for smaller needs for expediency. I don't "sand" this sealer outside of knocking down dust nibs or minor grain raise after the first coat. I try to have a good surface already that requires a minimum of futzing around once I start spraying.

Travis Porter
03-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I share Jim's perspective. I have used the WB shellac, but I am not a fan of it and find that I do better spraying the USL or EM6000.

I would suggest going to the Target Coatings web site and see if you can find an answer in their forums or post a question. Jeff Weiss there is quick to respond and super knowledgeable.

John Nesmith
03-20-2010, 8:23 AM
Jim:

Are the problems you encounter with the WB shellac similar to mine?

Travis:

I already posted on the Target forums. Jeff has not replied. Another user thinks the problem is with BLO residue, but I am convinced that is not the culprit.

P.S.

The next obvious question is, what is the best way to remove this WB shellac? Tried sanding, but it is taking forever.

Neal Clayton
03-20-2010, 3:40 PM
it's still shellac, so alcohol should still cut it.

buff it with alcohol.