PDA

View Full Version : I dropped it

Norris Randall
03-19-2010, 3:10 PM
Nothing compared to the quality of most of you turners but is a gift.
Friend belongs to a church with small congregation. Was telling me they did not have a collection plate.

So I thought I'd make him one as a gift.

After finishing, it hit the floor and got a couple of "knocks".

Not really bad but still knocks.

Is there an easy way to get them out? I don't have a cole jaw set and do not know of a way to get it centered back up.

OR just give it to him as is.

Scott Lux
03-19-2010, 3:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any knocks in it. Besides, it'll get dropped a few more times.

Mark Norman
03-19-2010, 3:17 PM
Nice piece there, fumble-fingers ;)

Make another one? Put that one on your dresser to catch yer keys, wallet and pocket change at the end of the day.

I also agree with Scott^^ it dont look bad and I'm sure it will get droped again.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2010, 3:19 PM
Norris - sorry to hear about the mishap! Nice looking plate!

Since the piece has already been finished - you are limited in what you can do to repair it. You didn't mention what you finished the plate with...so, if it was just an oil base finish without a top-coat you can try steam.

Usually when you drop something it just gets a dent. That dent can be fixed by using a steam iron to apply heat and moisture through a small towel. You have to monitor the repair action and not apply to much heat but it does work. You will have to sand the area lightly when finished using the steam as it will raise the grain.

When done - apply some more oil to that area and you are finished.

If you used a poly or some form of top coat - then you have to sand that portion of the top coat away in order for the steam method to work.

Hope that helps.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2010, 3:39 PM
Really nice looking piece. I agree with Steve and have used that procedure a couple of time. If you have a film finish on it then you are pretty limiited.

John Keeton
03-19-2010, 3:53 PM
Often, you don't need to apply heat. Many times I have applied a drop of water and just let it swell the mashed fibers. You can use a few pin holes to allow the moisture to get by the finish. Most of the time, that works. If it is a deep dent, then the heat helps. If the fibers are broken, it probably will not come out fully with this method.

Charlie Reals
03-19-2010, 3:58 PM
Norris, looks fine. I am sure that small congregation will love it. Aint nothing in life without a dent or two.If it gets passed every Sunday it's gonna get well rubbed.

Jeff Nicol
03-19-2010, 4:30 PM
You could do a simple carving around the rim to hid the dents. I have done this on things in the past and it works out pretty well. But if you are not comfortable with carving, a little filler and a painted rim using a lazy susan to get the plate centered and spin it to apply the paint. Or if you can get it mounted between centers with a vacuum chuck or jam chuck then put on the paint. A gold leaf paint would look good, you can also buy them in a paint marker and that would be easier to control the application.

Won't be the last drop!

Still looks good,

Jeff

Joe Little
03-19-2010, 5:16 PM
Looks very nice and i wouldnt worry about the knocks (that I can't see)

Cathy Schaewe
03-19-2010, 6:42 PM
I think it's beautiful -

Just out of curiosity, what size blank did you start with?

David E Keller
03-19-2010, 6:42 PM
I like it as is, but it all depends on how fussy you or the recipient might be. It's a piece that's meant to be used, so it's gonna take a beating anyway.

Norris Randall
03-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Thank you to each and everyone for your suggestions and encouragement.
"depends on how fussy you or the recipient might be"
Since the he is not fussy at all.....
I think I'll take the easy way and give it as is.

Cathy, it was a mahogany cutoff with some splits on one side and end.
approx 3x12x12. Finished 11 1/2 x 2 1/4

Thanks again.

Justin Stephen
03-20-2010, 1:31 AM
Pre-populate the plate with a couple of $5 bills to cover the dings.

Like others have said, it will get dropped again. It's very nice.