PDA

View Full Version : Old Wood lathe

Joseph Tarantino
03-19-2010, 2:44 PM
i wouldn't mind having a lathe:

http:// newyork.craigslist.org/fct/tls/1651050627.html (remove space after // before activating link)

any thoughts as to whether this is worth what the seller is asking for it? thanks.

Dick Brown
03-19-2010, 3:58 PM
If you are into the old iron, This would be a real heart warmer. Only you know what it is worth to you. If it is in very good shape and maybe some good tools, could be worth more than that. Price some good tools and they add up fast. Cheap tools, no interest in old iron, and not in good shape, pass on it. There are some good deals out there every once in a while if you are not in a hurry. Walker-Turner made very good stuff.

Pete Bradley
03-19-2010, 4:05 PM
I think this is one that was for sale a few weeks ago at a significantly lower price. Looks like someone scooped it for a quick resale. Worth $650? Not to me, but someone might pay it. More likely it will sit a while.

Dave Cav
03-19-2010, 4:35 PM
It looks like a nice medium duty lathe. I think it's overpriced by $200 - 300, but that's me. The variable speed drive may or may not have problems, but they are a lot more complicated than step pulleys and can be an issue if it needs eventual repair. Personally I would rather have step pulleys, and if I needed more control, a 3 phase motor and a VFD.

John Shuk
03-19-2010, 7:17 PM
For similar money you could make a run up to the Toolnut in Mahopac and get a new Delta with variable speed. That lathe looks great and seems to be well restored but modern lathes are designed for the turning that people are doing these days as opposed to the older machines which weren't made to withstand eccentric loads like you would get when bowl turning.
By the way...it's nice to see another neighbor on the Creek.

Pete Bradley
03-19-2010, 8:57 PM
John,

I'm curious, why do you think that lathe won't take eccentric loads compared to a modern Delta? Any new Delta you could buy for that money has standard radial ball bearings and a sheet metal base.

John Shuk
03-20-2010, 12:33 PM
The Delta 46-460 is about 600 dollars. The machine is built with the type of work in mind that modern turners are doing. It is not the only lathe out there that you can find with nice features. The variable speed alone would seal the deal for me. Walker-Turner tools were built in a different time and that was mostly at the beginning of the "do it yourself" movement. I think tools have matured and that modern lathes for the most part are better than the homeowner models of the past.
My opinion really.