PDA

View Full Version : 50-760 mod

Chas Fuggetta
03-19-2010, 2:02 PM
Hey gang, I just put together my DC and ordered the wynn cartridge for it. I want to keep the filter as clean as possible for as long as possible. What mod do you suggest? Thien baffle or a cyclone pre-separator? What do they do different from the other?

I went with the Nano filter since my shop is in my basement and want to keep the air as clean as possible.

David Hostetler
03-19-2010, 4:09 PM
Thien baffle fitted pre separator all on the lower cart there...

Ken Shoemaker
03-20-2010, 9:04 PM
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133177

Chas,
Take alook at this thread. Alot of good input from the guys..

Ken

Chas Fuggetta
03-21-2010, 1:33 AM
Wow, thanks Ken!

I wonder if that would work with my 50-760...makes me wish I had seen this before I bought the delta. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Dave Sepucha
03-21-2010, 5:16 PM
This is what I plan to do with mine... Wynn filter and a thien baffle. I feel like this approach is the best bang for the buck.

This image is not mine, it's a customer image from Amazon.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3a/ae/4ed2810ae7a0b412c3003210.L.jpg

Chas Fuggetta
03-22-2010, 3:58 PM
Will the Thien baffle help prevent small dust particles clogging my Wynn filter?

David Hostetler
03-22-2010, 4:20 PM
Will the Thien baffle help prevent small dust particles clogging my Wynn filter?

No, but then again, neither will a full on cyclone...

The Thien baffle, just like a true cyclone separates MOST of dust / debris from the air stream, but it is not perfectly clean.

I have a Thien pre separator in line before my HF DC and a Wynn filter. I simply tap down the filter after each use. The entire rig has seen a little over a year of pretty heavy use, and the filter looks new still...

Jason White
03-22-2010, 5:49 PM
I have this dust collector (Delta 50-760). It comes with a 1-micron shaker felt bag that works great! I think you'd be wasting your money on the "nano" filter thingy, whatever that is...

A pre-separator might not be a bad idea if you make a lot of chips.

Jason

Hey gang, I just put together my DC and ordered the wynn cartridge for it. I want to keep the filter as clean as possible for as long as possible. What mod do you suggest? Thien baffle or a cyclone pre-separator? What do they do different from the other?

I went with the Nano filter since my shop is in my basement and want to keep the air as clean as possible.

Braun Reszler
03-22-2010, 9:09 PM
I am unsure about the nano filter , this may not be applicable but check this out from wynn site

http://www.wynnenv.com/paddle_cleaner.htm

Chas Fuggetta
03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I went with the nano. My shop is in my basement right next to my furnace...with no door between them. I'll be installing a door, but I'm very leery of wood dust. I'm pretty much allergic to everything that grows. (I think that comes from being a descendant from a LOOOOONG line of fishermen.)

If the Thien does help with preventing some dust from reaching the filter I'll consider it a worthwhile project. Thanks for the reply's gang!

Regards,
Chas

Jason Hallowell
03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I use the harbor freight 2hp DC with a Phil Thein style baffle vented outside, and it works great. The only time any dust is visible in the exhaust is when I'm taking really deep passes with the planer, jointer, or router table. A cyclone really does provide the best performance, but they are also expensive. Even if I wasn't able to vent outside, I probably still would have saved the $ and gone with the baffle instead of a cyclone.