PDA

View Full Version : ClearVue - Poor Customer Service

PeterTorresani
03-19-2010, 1:44 PM
I've read quite a few threads regarding ClearVue and they've recieved really good feedback on customer service, unfortunately I've been on the other side of this.

I recently purchased the mini-cyclone that fits on top of a shopvac, and within a couple weeks the PVC housing started to crack at a joint. Not a big crack, but it doesn't take much to cause an efficiency drop.

I sent a picture to Ed and asked if I could get it replaced. His response

Peter,
That is just a surface crack and should pose no problem as to the efficiency of the unit. You can run a little caulk in the crack if you want to. We machine a "V" in the plastic within about 1/32" of the surface. We then heat and bend the sheet and the seam is glued solid. What you are seeing it just a crack in the skin.

Regards,

Ed

Personally, I think the picture shows that it is more than a surface crack, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I responded that it was clearly a crack all the way throught the housing and that there was a lot of dust on the filter. His response:

Peter,
If the "V" under the skin isn't glued, you can put some caulk on it and that will take care of it. As to getting a replacement, you would have to ship it back to us and pay for the shipping. Also, you will be responsible for any shipping damage to that unit. I don't recommend doing that but if you want a replacement, that's what you'll have to do. If it arrives here damaged then you will have to deal with the shipper to get it paid for....I will not be responsible for shipping damage on the return trip.

Regards,

Ed

I could fix the crack myself of course (probably easier than boxing it up), but I don't think it's my responsibility. What bothers me more than anything is that there is no effort to help, or even an apology for the issue. All he did was deny the issue and responsibility. This isn't just a case of bad service, but bad attitude as well. Since others have had good luck with ClearVue, I hope that this is an isolated issue. I know it will be for me as there won't be any repeat business

Mark Amato
03-19-2010, 2:04 PM
An easy way to determine whether it is a real crack or not is to take the unit off and add some fluid. See if it leaks.

PeterTorresani
03-19-2010, 2:10 PM
I can slide a piece of paper through it.

My problem wasn't that it is a real crack. It's that Ed was less than helpful

george wilson
03-19-2010, 2:19 PM
I won't be buying from them if that's what you get. People who treat customers bad to save a buck end up losing many more bucks.

Mike Goetzke
03-19-2010, 2:28 PM
That doesn't sound like Ed. I bought a CV1800 NIB from a WN'er. Ended up the motor had shipping damage. Ed helped me out w/ troubleshooting on a Friday night through Saturday and even sent me the parts I needed to fix it for free.

Maybe try to call him again.

Mike

Jim O'Dell
03-19-2010, 2:33 PM
This is totally out of character to all the dealings I've had with them, and all I've heard from others. I'm really perplexed. Try calling him. He really is a great guy. Now I do understand that he isn't making that unit anymore as the demand for it wasn't what it needed to be to be viable to have it in their line up. UPS would insure it going back. It's normal that the shipper deals with any damage, so that's a non issue. Tell him about being able to slip paper through the crack. What is the possibility that this damage was caused by the shipper to you and it just wasn't visible at first? Maybe there is something that could be done from that angle.
I hope you just caught him at a bad time. My guess is that even if you don't call him, he will contact you to get this straightened out. Jim.

Robert Reece
03-19-2010, 2:43 PM
I'm having trouble understanding your harshness towards ClearVue.

Ed is thinking you could fix the problem with < 1 minute of work (and he is correct). On the other hand you are asking him to exchange the unit which will take many more minutes than one. Not to mention the expenditure of money to ship it both ways, and opening both of you up to putting this thing back in the hands of UPS, which isn't exactly kind to things. So in that respect I understand what Ed is saying - fix it yourself in one minute and let's not take an unnecessary risk to get you back to a working product.

Since Ed is a small manufacturer, he handles each case individually. That is generally a strength as you always get a response that takes into account all reasonable facts. In your case, I think you are expecting a large manufacturer who just happily ships things back and forth until the customer is happy simply because that is "company policy". Of course "company policy" also results in less than stellar support at many times.

I'm sure Ed will exchange your unit if you are set on having a new one. But I understand his not wanting to accept responsibility for your packaging as UPS can destroy anything.

Paul Johnstone
03-19-2010, 4:48 PM
I dunno..

I just reread his response and it seemed like shipping it back for replacement was an option, under the conditions that you deal with any shipping damage with the carrier. Looks like he recommends caulking it, but if you really wanted to return it, you could (paying for shipping, dealing with UPS if damaged).

I emailed Ed a few times when I was deciding on what to buy. He seems like a good guy. Kind of brief at times, but he's probably the type that would rather be in the shop than spending a lot of time composing emails.

Tom Veatch
03-19-2010, 5:08 PM
I've had some dealings with Ed, and came away extremely pleased with the experience. Looks to me like there could be a warrantee situation here. Don't know what the applicable terms, laws, factors, etc. might be in this case, but from the outside, looking in, Ed might could have handled it a little better.

I know what I would do in this situation, and that's take the practical approach; run a bead of silicon caulk along the crack and get on with making sawdust.

Michael MacDonald
03-19-2010, 5:17 PM
I'm sure Ed will exchange your unit if you are set on having a new one. But I understand his not wanting to accept responsibility for your packaging as UPS can destroy anything.

why does it matter if UPS damages the cracked cyclone on the way back to ed? I can understand him not paying for the shipping back, but the whole damage liability thing seems odd... its damaged already, can't re-sell it. Melt it down and start over.

Ken Shoemaker
03-19-2010, 5:31 PM
I'm not big on "fixing" anything I just bought no matter what amount of time it takes to do it.

Furthermore, if it arrives in pieces how would they know when it happened and by whom? The OP delivered pictures with his first e-mail, if I understand correcly, and that would be enought to have a new unit shipped asap and request the damaged one be placed in the box and returned at our C-vs expence. No further question need be asked.

I personaly would want the damaged one back to see if the damage may be a manufacturing defect that may be seen in the larger unit thay I considered my main stay.

Of course this is just me.. I'm sure opinions will vary.... Ken

Erik Christensen
03-19-2010, 7:40 PM
dealt with Ed on the phone a number of times - have both a mini-cyclone on my shop vac and a CV1800 for the big tools. always liked dealing with him.

here is my take on your situation. clearvue is not like most tool purchases - it is more like the vacuum pump kit from joe woodworker - you get specialty parts and instructions - you are on your own for the rest. it is assumed you are going to assemble it yourself, you have to build things, get stock parts from the BORG, put it together, etc.

i got one of the 1st mini-cyclones they made and at the time you had to do a lot more to get it up and running - mount it on your dust collector lid, seal it up, rig a air-tight closure mechanism, etc etc. I think the assumption is this product is going to folks who are inclined to build/fix stuff. When I got my CV1800 the ramp had slipped out of position before the adhesive set - i COULD have made Ed have mine shipped back and a new one sent out. I just put some clear silicone on the ramp edge - muscled it back to an even slope and left it alone for a day - it has worked flawlessly since.

I think the disconnect between you 2 is that you expect things to be like buying from Felder and Ed thinks he is selling leggo blocks and expects you to just make it work. No offense intended but i tend to side more with Ed on this one - it's a tool - looks are not important - squirt 10 cents of caulk on it and let it slide. If it cracks to the point of impacting performance then that's another thing entirely but that was not the impression I got from the post.

John Coloccia
03-19-2010, 8:29 PM
My dealings with Ed have all been 100% positive. He was e-mailing me back and forth into the wee hours of the morning once, and he didn't hesitate to ship out a new cyclone when mine arrived damaged. This is not at all in character for him. Without knowing the whole story, it's tough to pass judgement, but if this is really all there is to it, I understand why you're a little upset.

If it were me, I would probably e-mail him again, and try to work it out. This is really completely out of character for him.

Matt Armstrong
03-19-2010, 8:42 PM
Ed is a good guy. Maybe there's more to the story we're not aware of. A bottle of caulk is $2. Have you asked if he'll reimburse you for a tube of it?

Doug Carpenter
03-19-2010, 8:53 PM
I agree with the OP and Ken. If he had wanted a cracked unit that needs repair he could buy used. I think they should replace the thing and pay for all the shipping.

I would just ask him why he is treating this transaction so differently than anything you have ever heard of. Let him know that he has a rep for being a standup guy and that this seems way out of character for him.

I would just send it back and demand my money back.

richard poitras
03-19-2010, 9:01 PM
[QUOTE=PeterTorresani;1377429]
I recently purchased the mini-cyclone that fits on top of a shopvac, and within a couple weeks the PVC housing started to crack at a joint. Not a big crack, but it doesn't take much to cause an efficiency drop.

I sent a picture to Ed and asked if I could get it replaced.

Peter as you state it’s only a few weeks old you should not have to pay for shipping … new is new and should be 100% no matter how nice of a guy he is. He should stand behind his product. Yes he might be losing some on this deal but that’s part the manufacturing process and doing business.

Dirk Lewis
03-19-2010, 9:50 PM
Gotta agree with Ken here, bought new you should get new - warranty included. Perhaps its why they got schooled on this unit and no longer carry it?

I'm setting up a full on plumbed-in cyclone set-up and Ed just lost a potential customer.

Leigh Betsch
03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Simple. Just call him and talk to him. It's not like a big company where you can't get anyone to listen to your problems. Just call him and talk to him. You will get the solution a lot quicker than asking people here how they would solve it.

I bought a cv1800 from Ed and I broke it when I installed it. I called Ed and told him that I broke it and ask him how to repair the part I broke. He told me how to fix it but a 1/2 hr latter he called me back and said that he and Matt were just going to send me a entirely new cyclone free. A replacement cyclone would have cost me $425 but he sent it to me FREE.

The best thing about dealing with a small company is that you can talk directly to the decision maker. So my recommendation is to call him and explain your thoughts to him.

Jerry White
03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I am puzzled by this story. It does not ring true with the excellent customer service that I have received from Ed and ClearVue or with ALL the other reports that I have seen on ClearVue customer service.

Ed once sent me parts to modify my my machine, all free, shipping included. Mind you this was not for repair of a defect, and he had no obligation whasoever to supply the parts at his expense. This is just the sort of service that he is known to provide.

I suggest that we hold off on hasty conclusions in this case. Perhaps Ed will post with additionial information.

Cody Colston
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't know Ed but judging from the comments here, his response was a bit out of character. But, no matter, the cyclone was bought new and he should make it good...with a replacement, not a suggestion to caulk it.

Mike Heidrick
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Perhaps the credit card company could give him a call and see what could be done. CC Account managers have a way of influenicing less than helpful sales folk. I would not be caulking my new product either regardless of how cheap or easy to do. Give him a call and then let them give him a call if he is less than satisfactory.

Steven DeMars
03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I think the use of plastic for cyclone on a stationary dust collector is "almost" practical, maybe even an entertaining novelty, but to mount it on top of a mobile shop vac is not a practical application by any stretch.

I realize that all of his units work very well for their intended purpose, but I see no advantage to having plastic, much less clear plastic. PVC like that used in plumbing is very durable, but I have yet to see a clear plastic that can handle being part of a "machine". . . .

Airplane windscreens, fantastic . . . But from a durability standpoint there are many plastics that would be far more durable than the handful that are clear. You "need" to see through a windscreen . . I couldn't care less as to what is happening inside my shop vac or my dust collector.

Why not have a clear shop vac? Or a clear engine (easy to check the oil)?

My point is, if you have chosen to purchase something made of a material that you know to be less durable than what is normally used as for the sake of "novelty", you have to be prepared to live with the drawbacks.

Please don't waste your time trying to explain to me how Plexiglas, Lexan, etc . . is a superior product for any application that does not REQUIRE transparency. I work in a plastics plant, I see the wonderful things plastic can do everyday, but in order to create "clear" plastic you lose a lot of the structural characteristics that make plastic such versatile product.

John Coloccia
03-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Actually, the clear plastic holds up just fine, even on top of the shop vac. I have the large cyclone AND the shopvac one, and they both perform and hold up to abuse as well as anything else I've owned.

Period.

Alan Schaffter
03-20-2010, 12:20 AM
. . . and the Oneida mini is even a less durable "clear" plastic. I guess two major manufacturers of DC equipment got it wrong! I should have been really scared with "clear plastic" canopies on my Navy jet "flying machine" moving along at 450+ kts, too!

Sean Nagle
03-20-2010, 12:22 AM
The defective item should be replaced or the buyer can make the repair and be refunded 1/2 the original purchase price.

Steven DeMars
03-20-2010, 2:25 AM
. . . and the Oneida mini is even a less durable "clear" plastic. I guess two major manufacturers of DC equipment got it wrong! I should have been really scared with "clear plastic" canopies on my Navy jet "flying machine" moving along at 450+ kts, too!

That is a entirely different application . . . If you read my post you can see where I mention jet canopies . . . The canopy is very well supported evenly with no stress points . . .it is also molded under extremely high pressure @ a temperature that increases the strength. I can assure you the Plexiglas you buy at home depot will not stand up to the abuse your jet generated. Would you think a piece of steel the same thickness as your windscreen would be more resistant to flying debris? I hope you agree on that . . Oh yea, you could not see through it, a feature you really need. You don't need to see your dust ! ! ! Why sacrifice any durability for novelty . . .

When you drill, machine and cut most of the clear plastics you create a change in that area of the material which can cause you to develop cracks . . .

Also, if you look carefully at the Oneida cyclone you will see is is in fact not the same "crystal" clear plastic you see on the Clearview. . . .it is translucent . . and yes that makes a big difference . . . .

All I am saying is that there are plenty of materials that are more suitable for this application, but you would lose the novelty of it being clear . . .sort of like buying a stainless steel pistol versus a carbon steel pistol. You gain some and lose some . . .

Steve

Tom Godley
03-20-2010, 6:45 AM
From the description it sounds like the crack occurred at one of the construction seams. Instead of using two parts and gluing them together he uses one part that he grooves and bends prior to gluing - this way the thin exterior wall remaining acts like both a clamp and positioning device.

It seems from the first e-mail that he felt you were concerned with what he probably felt was nothing more than a cosmetic problem with a joint - when you further explained the situation his solution was the use of glue. The use of glue may be exactly what he would have used to fix an incomplete joint during normal manufacturing. He may not view a re-glued joint as a defect. The fact that all of this is clear makes it all very visible.

If this was an actual crack in the plastic I would be concerned - and I would also be concerned if the whole joint was coming lose. But if this is just a few inches long I would just re-glue the joint with the proper adhesive.

I do not have one of these so I am only going by the posts.

Chuck Saunders
03-20-2010, 7:45 AM
My experience with Clearvue 1800 had a crack in the ramp. Matt suggested thatI could glue it or he could send me a replacement. I chose the replacement and it was here within a week. The OP experience seems very nontypical and I suspect that there is more to the story.

PETG is not lexan and is not acrylic or PVC. the term Plastics paints with a wide brush.

Richard Wolf
03-20-2010, 8:09 AM
There may be more to the story, but, Ed was on the forum yesterday at 6:30 pm and didn't respond to the thread. Odd that he didn't notice it.

Richard

Alan Schaffter
03-20-2010, 11:17 AM
That is a entirely different application . . .

Steve

A few clarifications- I have a couple thousand hours in Navy jets and quite a few private plane hours also, so I know what I'm talking about. The canopies are durable as were the windscreens in most WW II aircraft. They were all cut and drilled many times (stress points) during manufacture- if I were to count the number of holes around the edges used to mount just on half of a canopy (there are four on the EA-6B) - they would likely number close to 50.

As far as differences in application- not much- high velocity air often containing small particles, including wood chips (shop) and sand (Iraq, Afghanistan) impacting the plastic.

As I understand his rationale for using plastic, Ed built a Pentz cyclone for himself. He liked it so much that when he decided to build one for his son he wanted to see what was happening inside. He had experience in fabricating metal and plastics but thought that with his skills, woodworking tools, and some basic molds and heaters, he could make it from plastic easier than from metal.

But just not any plastic. He uses PETG (a thermoplastic polyester) which if you check the properties is well suited (likely better than Lexan, a polycarbonate, or Plexiglass, an acrylic) for THIS application. PETG is tough, machines well, can be solvent bonded, and has a low forming temperature. It was no longer a "novelty" but something Ed could easily and quickly "manufacture" with woodworking machines, a few jigs and heater units, without the need for welding or other special metal fabricating tools, and did not need priming and painting when done. Sounds like a wise decision!

Now as to the OP's problem. I think we might have a terminology problem. If he has a "crack"- an actual failure of the PETG then by all means Ed should replace it.

But . . . what I believe he has is an open seam- and overlap that has separated because it was possibly not bonded completely. The ClearVue mini top cylinder and lower cone are made by heat forming sheet PETG. They have overlapped seams which are solvent welded together. The cone is also solvent welded to the cylinder. A "crack", really a small gap, in this context, could be easily and adequately fixed with either caulk or solvent welded together. Remember, in most applications it is under suction so any caulk will be drawn into and seal any "crack". The solvent, Methylene Chloride and others (IPS is one brand), typically used to bond acrylics and other plastics is available at plastics stores (ACME, Reed, etc.), craft stores, and Ebay.

And yes, I have ClearVue mini, so I know how it is made:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB050004.JPG

Paul Wunder
03-20-2010, 11:38 AM
The poster's experience is so unlike my dealings with Ed Morgano that it has me scratching my head as to whether there is more to this than we are being told. My dealings with Ed during my purchase and install of a CV1800 cyclone took place over 18 months. Many phone calls and emails by me with product questions, installation questions particular to my personal situation and errors on my part. I even called him eight months after my purchase because I could not find one of my blastgates that came with the unit . I asked him to send and bill me for another since I should have checked boxes upon arrival. Three days later, at his expense, a new blastgate arrived.

When I couldn't mount my cyclone in the usual manner with his provided brackets, I asked Ed for his advice. He responded with an emailed full color blueprint with dimensions to solve my problem (he never asked for a dime)

Like others, when I had problems, I emailed photos of my project for advice. One Saturday night when exchanged questions and answers four four hours. He stayed with me until my problems were solved.

I have always found Ed Morgano to be devoted to customer satisfaction unlike any other company that I have dealt with.

Is it possible that the other poster or Ed had a bad day? I would suggest that the other poster (or perhaps even Ed) take a deep breadth and start over. Perhaps contact his son, Matt.

Paul

Steven DeMars
03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
A few clarifications- I have a couple thousand hours in Navy jets and quite a few private plane hours also, so I know what I'm talking about. The canopies are durable as were the windscreens in most WW II aircraft. They were all cut and drilled many times (stress points) during manufacture- if I were to count the number of holes around the edges used to mount just on half of a canopy (there are four on the EA-6B) - they would likely number close to 50.

As far as differences in application- not much- high velocity air often containing small particles, including wood chips (shop) and sand (Iraq, Afghanistan) impacting the plastic.

As I understand his rationale for using plastic, Ed built a Pentz cyclone for himself. He liked it so much that when he decided to build one for his son he wanted to see what was happening inside. He had experience in fabricating metal and plastics but thought that with his skills, woodworking tools, and some basic molds and heaters, he could make it from plastic easier than from metal.

But just not any plastic. He uses PETG (a thermoplastic polyester) which if you check the properties is well suited (likely better than Lexan, a polycarbonate, or Plexiglass, an acrylic) for THIS application. PETG is tough, machines well, can be solvent bonded, and has a low forming temperature. It was no longer a "novelty" but something Ed could easily and quickly "manufacture" with woodworking machines, a few jigs and heater units, without the need for welding or other special metal fabricating tools, and did not need priming and painting when done. Sounds like a wise decision!

Now as to the OP's problem. I think we might have a terminology problem. If he has a "crack"- an actual failure of the PETG then by all means Ed should replace it.

But . . . what I believe he has is an open seam- and overlap that has separated because it was possibly not bonded completely. The ClearVue mini top cylinder and lower cone are made by heat forming sheet PETG. They have overlapped seams which are solvent welded together. The cone is also solvent welded to the cylinder. A "crack", really a small gap, in this context, could be easily and adequately fixed with either caulk or solvent welded together. Remember, in most applications it is under suction so any caulk will be drawn into and seal any "crack". The solvent, Methylene Chloride and others (IPS is one brand), typically used to bond acrylics and other plastics is available at plastics stores (ACME, Reed, etc.), craft stores, and Ebay.

And yes, I have ClearVue mini, so I know how it is made:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB050004.JPG

Well to each his own when it comes to choosing tools or the material from which they are constructed. :)

I was merely pointing out that when you choose plastic over steel in any application such as this you can not expect the same "toughness" as steel. I am not knocking this product in no way. I have researched PETG. It appears to be tougher in some ways than Lexan, Plexiglass, etc . . . although it did say it scratches easier, which leads me to believe it is more pliable than the others . . . and this is a good thing for this application.

As to your knowledge of plastics and their use I can not think of anyone more qualified than someone like yourself who's life was dependent on it daily . . .

P.S. From what I could see, you have a nice shop . . .

Thomas Pender
03-20-2010, 5:32 PM
When I buy a new product, asking me to jury rig a repair is unacceptable. I believe we put up with way too much nonsense and poor quality and the reason we put up with so much is that we do not insist upon what we are entitled to receive - a working, defect free product that is fit for its intended purpose.

Peter is reporting his experience and his experience does not seem satisfactory to me. Perhaps Clear Vue had a bad day - heck, even LV has bad days (but very few:)). Regardless, if I were hearing this one Peter gets a new replacement or his money back without having to pay for any shipping, which I believe, IMHO, is industrial strength nonsense.

Andy McCormick
03-20-2010, 9:42 PM
You should have sent the picture with the paper through the crack.

Jason Raksnis
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I dont know ED or would i ever buy a cyclone made of plastic, but it seems like everyone is quick to point the finger at the OP. There may well be some vital info left out from the OP, but suggesting that the OP fix the problem with silicone is just crazy. That should never come out the mouth of someone who produces a "superior" product. If i were the OP I would box the thing up and send it back with a note that says "no response needed". Buy an Oneida and call it a day!

Jason

Joel Earl
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Interesting. Agree also with Peter here.

A question thats I have to ask of all - let us pretend this was say Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Rigid or many of the others out there. Imagine they sent to you the same reponse. Be fair and honest here - would you be loyal and defending that entity in the same way? I read almost every post here now whether relevant to me or not now so really one gets a feel for ones reponse(s), almost in advance.;)
Just asking is all ...................

Ed Morgano
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone. I'm trying to post a reply here but want to include the original picture that Peter sent me so we all know what we're talking about.....but i can't seem to figure out how to attach a picture from my computer.....help.

Ed Morgano
Clear Vue

Ed Morgano
03-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay, I think I have the picture attached.

Ed Morgano
03-21-2010, 12:15 PM
First, Peter didn’t post the picture that he sent me and I’ve noticed that the discussion has digressed into trying to make repairs to clear plastic.
The crack is in a .030 skin of white PVC plastic and it’s about 1” long. As stated earlier, we machine a “V” in the ½” PVC foam board leaving about .030”. We then heat the skin, bend it and glue the seam together. The crack is only in the skin. Clearly it’s a defect which we could repair. The problem is we are here and Peter is there and he would have to ship it back to us in order for us to make the repairs. We have stopped making these so sending a replacement isn’t an option, if it were, I would have sent him another one and told him to throw that one away. Giving a refund is an option (which I have offered to Peter but haven’t heard back from him) but the product still needs to be returned. All of this is much more trouble than simply putting a little caulk in the seam and being done with it.

Dirk Lewis
03-21-2010, 12:54 PM
.... I should have been really scared with "clear plastic" canopies on my Navy jet "flying machine" moving along at 450+ kts, too!

So, if your canopy had a 'crack' in it would you like it replaced before you hit 450+ or just put a dollop of silicon on it to seal it and 'wing it' so to speak?

Ed Morgano
03-21-2010, 1:03 PM
Dirk,
I'd be interested in your reaction to the picture that I posted above. Oh, by the way, our conversion lid doesn't go 450. :-)

Ed

Alan Schaffter
03-21-2010, 2:08 PM
So, if your canopy had a 'crack' in it would you like it replaced before you hit 450+ or just put a dollop of silicon on it to seal it and 'wing it' so to speak?

Depends on the size and type of crack- some get a "stop crack" hole drilled in them, are sealed, then put back into service. If the crack is beyond spec. the canopy is replaced- remember we are talking personal safety, possibly in combat. While not necessarily life threatening, it is very noisy and extremely cold to fly in a jet with no canopy. :eek: Most ejections are through the canopy, but it is possible to survive a partial ejection while in flight like this A-6 Intruder BN:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/images/partia1.jpg

It is very time consuming and expensive to replace an EA-6B Prowler canopy. The Prowler's primary role is electronic warfare- we jammed enemy radars with high powered jammer pods. To shield the crew and ensure they could still procreate- the inside of the canopies were coated with gold!!! (that gold tint in the pic is more than the sun's reflection!)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_EA-6B_Prowler_Gold_lg.jpg

Jim O'Dell
03-21-2010, 2:45 PM
Well, there's always the rest of the story. It would have helped to see the picture from the first so we all knew what we were talking about. Yes it's a shame that the crack happened. Again it might have been from shipping. Evidently no damage was noticed then, but that's not to say it wasn't there and just wasn't seen. I think the repair is a feasible thing to recommend. Maybe Ed could have offered to ship a tube of silicone with the explanation that there were no more to replace with. Maybe he did? I remember getting notice that there were a few more and that was all. If Ed has offered to refund the purchase price when the unit is shipped back, or make the repair and keep it and enjoy, I'm not sure what else can be done. I'd say keep it and enjoy...there isn't another mini cyclone on the market that fits on a shop vac the same way. Jim.

Doug Carpenter
03-21-2010, 5:08 PM
I thought we were talking about a crack in a clear plactic cyclone that sits on top of a shopvac. That picture looks like an entire dust collection unit or something.

One thing I am starting to learn is that I shouldn't comment on these customer service posts. It seems to me that it is always a result of poor communication.

Carl Hunsinger
03-21-2010, 5:09 PM
"... If Ed has offered to refund the purchase price when the unit is shipped back, or make the repair and keep it and enjoy, I'm not sure what else can be done..."

In my book, real customer service would be for Clearvue to offer three options:

1) Clearvue pays shipping, both ways, and repairs the unit, no questions asked.

2) Clearvue pays return shipping, and cheerfully issues a full refund

3) Clearvue ships (overnight) a tube of caulk to allow the buyer to perform the repair himself, thereby avoiding the time and hassle of returning the unit

Just my two cents...

Carl

Steven DeMars
03-21-2010, 9:36 PM
I thought we were talking about a crack in a clear plactic cyclone that sits on top of a shopvac. That picture looks like an entire dust collection unit or something.

One thing I am starting to learn is that I shouldn't comment on these customer service posts. It seems to me that it is always a result of poor communication.

I think we need a Paul Harvey moment . . we need the "REST OF THE STORY" . . .

I think I'll join you and refrain from commenting on these customer service posts in the future . . . I have stuck my foot in the past so far down my throat that I now have tooth marks on my knees . . .

Steve

Alan Schaffter
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
I think I'll join you and refrain from commenting on these customer service posts in the future . . .

Steve

Ditto, ditto!!

Thomas Marr
04-24-2010, 1:22 PM
I know I'm a little late to the party on this post. However, given the title of the post and the fact that others will potentially see it later when researching ClearVue, I wanted to weigh in and mention my support for Ed. I bought a used ClearVue from a third party and he helped me find an end bell for the motor that was damaged in shipping to me, by the original owner. He spend his time and effort to help me out, even though he was under no obligation to help me in any way (I bought it second hand, it was damaged by the shipper, etc...).

A lot of folks who expect the manufacturer to provide exceptional customer service don't work with the public. There was a time in this country where a man's word was his bond. So, it made sense to follow "the customer is always right" policy. In my view, those days are long gone. If you work with the public much, you will be surprised at the large percentage of folks who try to lie, cheat and connive to get their way. It's sad really because it hurts all of us as company's are forced to pull back on "no questions asked" customer service in order to protect themselves.

BTW, these comments are meant to reflect the "general condition," not the OP's specific issue.

John A. Scott
04-24-2010, 6:59 PM
why does it matter if UPS damages the cracked cyclone on the way back to ed? I can understand him not paying for the shipping back, but the whole damage liability thing seems odd... its damaged already, can't re-sell it. Melt it down and start over.

I'm with Mike. So what if UPS smashes the piece? He has seen pictures of the crack and should stand behind his product. I'm building a new shop--ground breaking in May--looks like Onieda just moved up a big notch.

Ray Bell
04-24-2010, 7:16 PM
I'm with Mike. So what if UPS smashes the piece? He has seen pictures of the crack and should stand behind his product. I'm building a new shop--ground breaking in May--looks like Onieda just moved up a big notch.

If you read all of the thread it sounds like he did stand behind his product. He has offered a full refund. The product is no longer made, so a replacement isn't possible. What more can he do in this situation??? I have never purchased from Clear-Vue, and don't know Ed, but personally by looking at the posted photo, I would do a he suggested, and caulk that crack.

Alan Schaffter
04-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Here is the deal- Ed offered a refund. But he CANNOT offer a replacement- he has none to give and cannot make any more under threat of legal action, until the Oneida patent issue is resolved. Other than a refund, all he can do is repair the OP's mini. That would require the OP ship it back to ClearVue, where Ed could repair it, then Ed would ship it back to the OP. That requires two unnecessary shipments and is risking potential further damage. It would be safer and quicker for the OP to make the relatively simple fix himself.