PDA

View Full Version : what wax to protect planes?

dan sherman
03-19-2010, 1:17 PM
Ok so when I got into hand planes a year or so ago, I quickly learned that I'm one of the unlucky few who's sweat rusts plains like all get out. To try and combat this, I rubbed my planes down with Johnson's paste wax. The problem is that the wax is soft, and seems to dissolve when i hold it in my hands for long periods of time. Thus I have to re-apply the wax ever time I use the plane(a real pain).

Are there other waxes/products I should try?

Rick Erickson
03-19-2010, 1:27 PM
Camellia oil

Kevin Davis
03-19-2010, 2:19 PM
Camellia oil + NBA circa 1978, Head Band and Wrist Band?

Casey Gooding
03-19-2010, 2:43 PM
Make sure you wipe the planes down after use with a rag with oil (camellia, jojoba, WD-40, Boeshield, it doesn't really matter) to get all the oil, sweat & salt from your boy off the plane. Usually that will do the job. If not, then apply the wax. Johnson's or something similar work just fine.

Joe Close
03-19-2010, 2:57 PM
Wipe your tools after use w/ an oily rag, camellia, or other subtible oil. In my experince, the johnson paste wax approach has failed. I once cleaned a metal surface w/ a solvent to remove oils, then added several coats of paste wax, and never touched the surface after that. A couple of months later, I found that it had begun to oxidize... So, I don't rely on the paste wax too much any more. A camellia soaked rag has served me well.

Kent A Bathurst
03-19-2010, 3:41 PM

Dog-GONE it, Kevin - there goes another perfectly good mouthful of Sierra Nevada all over a clean monitor!!!:D:D

Any particular team? '78 Nuggets? Thompson + Issel + Larry Brown? Wondering what works best.;)

EDIT: Ooops - sorry. +1 on Camellia oil or Boeshield.

dan sherman
03-19-2010, 5:01 PM
I wipe my planes down with Mineral oil each time I put them away. My issue is when I use them for more than a few minutes at a time, my sweat make them start rusting.

For example last weekend I was cleaning up some end grain with my #15. I had been using it for a good 20-30 mins, and then I had to run some errands. When I got back roughly 2 hours later, you could tell exactly how i had held the plane, because rust had started to form where my fingers and palm had touched the sides.

So, I guess what I really need is something to protect the planes from rust while I'm using them, so oil is excluded as it would could get on the wood.

Kent A Bathurst
03-19-2010, 5:16 PM
.........so oil is excluded as it would could get on the wood.

My understanding - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that Camellia oil does not affect the wood.

Rob Fisher
03-19-2010, 8:12 PM
My understanding - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that Camellia oil does not affect the wood.

That is my understanding as well. You could also put something between your hand and the plane, like a glove. Might suck but should help prevent rust.

Rob

David Martino
03-20-2010, 1:47 AM
You could try Minwax paste wax -- seems thicker and dryer than Johnsons. Makes it a chore to rub out, but it might provide more protection.

Steve Sheehan
03-20-2010, 7:21 AM
I use the old time stuff - 1/3 beeswax - 1/3 linseed oil - 1/3 thinner . Melt together (gently) in the micro-wave in a wide mouth jar . Use it like a paste wax .

Shawn Albe
03-20-2010, 8:25 AM

At least I spit out my coffee, not a Sierra Nevada. Did anyone else get visions of the scene from "Fletch"?

I got really PO'd the first time I noticed I had just rusted my LV LA jack in a few key spots, so I know what you mean. I have had good luck so far with the Boeshield. Haven't tried the Camellia oil.

Todd Hyman
03-20-2010, 9:13 AM
Camellia oil

I agree with Rick.

Rick Erickson
03-20-2010, 5:55 PM
I agree with Rick.

Wow, that's the first time an Auburn guy agreed with a Gator. Go figure.

dan sherman
03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info all, I will place an order for a few of these, and see what one works best for me.

Bob Jones
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
i Wear mechanix (sp?) gloves alot when planing. They are thin enough to feel most of what is happening and they keep sweat off the planes. They also keep splinters out of the hands.

I generally use them when working rough lumber, and take them off for final smoothing, which is mush less work.