PDA

View Full Version : Newer sanding disks 5/8 hole

Brian Shutter
11-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Maybe I need to lighten up a little but I'm having a little difficulty accepting this new design in sanding disks where you can use the same disk for either 5 hole or 8 hole sanders. First, it makes it more difficult to line up with the holes on the sander, although you can overcome this problem with very little practice. Second, and more frustrating to me, is that there is a considerable loss of sanding surface because of all the holes scattered all over the place.

HD and Rocker (if I remember correctly) have switched to the new design and I suppose everyone else will eventually do the same but for now I will be buying my disks from sellers who are still selling the 5 hole specific disks.

It just occurred to me that I could punch my own holes--maybe I'll have a new hobby in the near future... :)

Steve Clardy
11-07-2004, 2:32 PM
I made a disc hole driller for my 5" no hole discs.
Several years ago I picked up several boxes of discs at a wood show and failed to notice that they had no holes.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: Brain dead at the time I guess.:rolleyes:

Just used two pieces of plywood. Use one disc for your pattern. Leave it on the lower part so you can align the other discs to it, put a stack of discs on, put the top on, aligned with dowels, then use a 7/16 drill bit.

Steve

Jamie Buxton
11-07-2004, 5:40 PM
Klingspor will have what you need, without punching your own holes. www.woodworkingshop.com

James Giordano
11-07-2004, 5:48 PM
I agree w/ Brian. Those combo discs are cheeezzzzyyyy.