PDA

View Full Version : Gray Eagles film

Matt Ranum
03-19-2010, 9:32 AM
I didn't see this posted around here, I found it on the IAP board.

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=1bf99434&br=1000

This is a wonderful short film about Jim Brooks, a WWII ace, his grandchildren, and the rebirth of his P-51D named February. I just can't stop watching it.

Some interesting reading on the Gray Eagles website.

http://www.grayeagles.org/index.html

From the website:

The Gray Eagles Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to keeping aviation history alive through dynamic audio-visual media created to educate and inspire those from all generations. Specifically, it is our hope that our films will encourage others to share their stories, and by doing so, build family connections, foster community, and nurture a culture of multi-generational understanding and respect.

The foundation's mission is to raise enough funds not only to complete our films, but also to distribute them to high schools, colleges, and other educational institutions throughout the country free of charge. Educators agree that these types of films add a critical component to history curriculums by bringing to life the stories and lessons of war, making the students' experience more personal, powerful, and therefore, relevant.

The Gray Eagles Foundation was formed by Chris Woods, an award-winning film director and Mustang pilot/enthusiast whose passion for these planes, and personal connection with one of WW2's most distinguished pilots, inspired him to ensure that these heroes' stories are not lost to future generations. Using his prowess in the world of media, Chris has created a foundation dedicated to preserving the rich aviation history of World War II and the pilots whose stories have become legend.

The Jim Brooks story is the first project undertaken by the foundation.

Lee Schierer
03-19-2010, 1:07 PM
Very interesting film.

When my daughter was in high school she had a homework assignment to interview someone from WWII. She chose to interview my Dad. We all gathered close around as he pulled out an old photo album told her about the photos, the planes and his experiences in the Pacific as he assembled and loaded bombs on B-29's. He never talked about it as we were growing up. I do recall seeing the photos once before.