PDA

View Full Version : Wife/Wood Gloat

steven carter
03-19-2010, 9:31 AM
So not only does my wife put up with me, and has for 37 years, she is also always on the lookout for wood---- what more could anyone ask for?
A friend of hers told her that she had a tree in her yard that she had cut down, so my wife asks what kind, and what was she going to do with it. As it turns out is was white birch, a tree that though common in some areas of the country, is pretty rare if it is of any size in my part of the country. Quite a few people plant these in their yards as ornamental trees, but they usually don't grow above 12" in diameter before they die. Fortunately this tree was at least 30" at the base. My wife's friend said she told a man that he could have what I didn't get last night, so after work I cut wood until dark. Unfortunately I only had one chain that was sharp, and after cutting for a couple hours, hit a nail or something else hard and dulled the chain. Wife to the rescue, she was in a neighboring town and I called her and she stopped and bought a couple new chains and brought them to me along with some supper! I anchor sealed in the dark and took these pictures.

145545 145546

Dennis Ford
03-19-2010, 9:33 AM
Great Gloat! Life does not get any better than that.

Richard Madison
03-19-2010, 9:58 AM
A worthy gloat indeed Steven. Many are fortunate enough to be similarly blessed, wife-wise if not wood-wise (yet).

bob svoboda
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Definitely a keeper---Your wife and the wood both.

Richard Coers
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
That is a nice haul. Almost looks like silver maple to me, but I haven't cut much birch. I thought birch bark was a lot looser than that, and thicker sapwood?

On that wife deal, does she have a sister? Although, I think my wife has finally given up on complaining about the wood. It took about 15 years for her to stop, but I guess I finally got her worn down. I do think she is starting to worry about an estate sale some day now.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Congrats on a great gloat. Doesn't get any better than that.

Brent Ring
03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
You certainly have two awesome gloats!

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Steve - congrats on the wood! Birch can have some great grain sometimes and is wonderful to turn! Looking forward to seeing what you create out of it!

Appreciate the story that went along with the gloat!

Bill Bolen
03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I din't know what to congradulate you on first,,,wife,,,,or wood. Both are great...Bill..

John Keeton
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
You certainly have two awesome gloats!Actually, a triple gloat!! Great wife, excellent wood haul....and, new chains for the saw!!

alex carey
03-19-2010, 1:15 PM
sweet gloat, those will make some nice bowls and platters.

John Tomasello jr
03-19-2010, 6:49 PM
You are one very lucky man, good gloat

Douglas Quetin
03-20-2010, 2:34 PM
SC reminded me of a great experience with my wife. While driving in Northern California, I spotted a burned olive orchard and made note. The next trip was in the rain with approaching dusk, but we were fully fitted with all the cutting gear. What a mess--wet, ashes, mud, etc. Nonetheless, I love olive and we cut, dragged logs and loaded the truck for about three hours. We were so dirty and wet, we bought clothes and towels at the nearest Wallmart. To say my wife is a trouper doesn't do her justice. We slogged around side-by-side humping these charcoal wonders and she never complained. Plus, she had surgery on her foot the day before!

I spent the next two weeks powerwashing the catch and looking it over. Some I cut up for blanks, most went to boards. In the end, most went to warm the house. I bet I lost 95% of the whole find due to severe checking. My thinking is that the stress of the fire was just too much.

I did get to work with a saint that day. I'll take that. And thanks, SC for a fond memory.

David E Keller
03-20-2010, 2:39 PM
Congrats Steve... I see it this way:
1. great wife gloat
2. good wood gloat
3. minor chain gloat

Not bad, not bad at all.

James Roberts
03-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Triple gloat! Does it get any better? Would love to score some white birch someday myself. Have fun.