PDA

View Full Version : Sold Electric Jointer

Bob Jones
03-19-2010, 12:22 AM
I had a nice, stand up JET 6in jointer. I just sold it. I had not used it in months because I really just enjoy using my old #8 stanley. It doesn't hurt that I was not good at setting it up and using it anyway. I found that I could get better results with a hand plane - seems strage to me.

Anybody else ever unload perfectly good power tools to buy more hand tools?
FYI - I bought a LN 14" rip tenon saw and I am looking forward to using it!

I am trying to learn hand cut mortise & tenon. If I can manage it my router table may be next.

Jim Koepke
03-19-2010, 1:50 AM
Anybody else ever unload perfectly good power tools to buy more hand tools?
FYI - I bought a LN 14" rip tenon saw and I am looking forward to using it!

I am trying to learn hand cut mortise & tenon. If I can manage it my router table may be next.

Well, if I had any power tools that I didn't use they would certainly get sold. I do have a router table that hasn't been used in a while. Wonder if there is anyone around here that wants to buy one. Probably not worth enough to get me that new LN plane I want.

jim

Eric Brown
03-19-2010, 7:17 AM
While I haven't gotten rid of any tailed tools yet, I try to do most jobs with hand tools instead. I enjoy the quiet or listening to some music (Yo Yo Ma).
I also enjoy the sound a plane makes as it's working. Easier to clean up too.

Eric

Tom Winship
03-19-2010, 8:46 AM
Well, if I had any power tools that I didn't use they would certainly get sold. I do have a router table that hasn't been used in a while. Wonder if there is anyone around here that wants to buy one. Probably not worth enough to get me that new LN plane I want.

jim

Jim, you just got your LN 62, what is next on your list?
Tom

Tri Hoang
03-19-2010, 8:55 AM
I did the same thing...sold my 8" jointer and never look back. I actually walked pass a brand new $200 Ridgid at homedepot and wonder how functionally limited it is compared to my #7s.

Tim Sgrazzutti
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Good for you, I sold my tailed jointer last summer. Running that thing always did scare the bejesus out of me, and I certainly don't want my kids around it. Every time I ran it, Patrick Leach's description of them as "finger munchin' machinery" would run through my mind. Amazing how quickly you can joint both faces and edges with a fore plane and jointer plane given a little practice, and with more efficient use of lumber too. There are machine tools that still have a place in my shop, because shop time is limited, and I want to produce results with it. That being said, for the shop space/expense/time to do by hand/safety factors, a powered jointer is one of the easiest tools to do without, IMHO.

James Scheffler
03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't sold it yet, but the pile of stuff around my power jointer currently makes it impossible to use. :) In the last few months, I have used only handplanes for jointing tasks.

I'm going to have a little trouble parting with it because it belonged to my late grandfather. It's a 6" Rockwell/Delta made in about 1953. On the other hand, it has some accuracy issues and the tables are short compared to modern jointers (only 34" combined). I'm about to push it into a corner so it's more out of the way. I don't think I'll use it again (at least not much), but then I won't feel guilty. Of course my grandfather, being a very practical man, would have just gotten rid of the damn thing if he thought he wouldn't use it again.

Anyway, I think you did the right thing!

Jim S.

Jim Koepke
03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Jim, you just got your LN 62, what is next on your list?
Tom

I have been thinking of a new LN 60-1/2. Have also thought about a new shoulder plane to replace my #93. The #93 has been working pretty good though.

Otherwise, I might just buy some material and make some saws.

jim

Chuck Tringo
03-19-2010, 1:47 PM
Prior to my deployment I traded down a JET Proshop table saw for a Bosch 4100 (might not have that one for too long either) and sold a 14 Craftsman Bandsaw, 12.5 inch delta planer and 1.5 hp delta dust collector.....when i get back from deployment, 2 of my 3 routers are going, a reciprocating saw, impact driver, dewalt tracksaw and whatever else I can get rid of to fund the addiction....

Rick Erickson
03-19-2010, 2:45 PM
I'm about to sell my Jet 6" jointer and my Delta drill press.

James Scheffler
03-19-2010, 4:45 PM
I'm about to sell my Jet 6" jointer and my Delta drill press.

Interesting - I think my drill press is the last stationary power tool I would part with. Of course there are neander ways of drilling, but the drill press makes it easy to be very precise. It's also one of the safer and quieter machines. Will you share any of your reasoning? Maybe trying to free up some shop space?

Jim

Rick Erickson
03-19-2010, 5:19 PM
Will you share any of your reasoning? Maybe trying to free up some shop space?Jim

Shop space is one reason for sure (I have a large floor standing drill press). Another is that I've started using hand drills (egg beaters and braces) and much prefer that way. I may replace it with a smaller bench top style because my son does a lot of pen turning and would be very upset if I told him he had to drill out the blanks with a brace :D

Brian Kent
03-19-2010, 5:38 PM
Shop space is one reason for sure (I have a large floor standing drill press). Another is that I've started using hand drills (egg beaters and braces) and much prefer that way. I may replace it with a smaller bench top style because my son does a lot of pen turning and would be very upset if I told him he had to drill out the blanks with a brace :D

Rick, maybe you could hold the brace while your son turns the pen blank.

Mark Roderick
03-19-2010, 6:18 PM
It's funny, but I'm about to go in the opposite direction. I've always used hand planes to joint wood but am now going to purchase a "tailed" jointer as you guys call it.

For me it's just a matter of speed and fun. On a recent project I spent many, many hours jointing all the wood by hand, to the point where it became tedious. I would have much preferred to spend more time on the fun parts, like cutting the dovetailed sides with mitered tops and bottoms.

Of course a powered jointer can't be used for everything. When I have the pleasure of working with a really wide or a really long boards, then I'll gladly joint them by hand.

If any of you neanders in the Philadelphia area has a 8" or larger jointer you'd like to sell, let me know.

Rick Markham
03-19-2010, 7:34 PM
I had a choice between getting a 6" or 8" jointer, and decided to get a LN no.8 instead! I will never think twice about my decision, yeah, it's probably easier on the arms to use the power jointer, but I love the fact that I am only limited by my abilities with the plane, that and some exercise, and peace and quiet do wonders for my soul... I'm an addict!:D

Shawn Albe
03-19-2010, 9:53 PM
WW newb, and a total neander newb, but this question is timely for me. I have limited numbers of both hand- and power-tools:)

I hope to do almost all of my work with hand tools (noise, dust, safety, zen, space), but I am looking at planing what, 150 bf, for a Roubo by hand? Oouch!!! I am thinking of picking up a used 8" jointer for $300-400 if I can. but I don't really want one. Is that odd? I guess I could always sell it if I didn't use it enough. Am I just chicken?

That is $300-$400 I could spend on planes, saws, chisels, marking tools, LN tool pron calendars, sharpening stuff...

Jaze Derr
03-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Think of it as planing practice!

I'm in the process of making my workbench, mostly by hand. I'm learning a LOT.

I wouldn't buy a large piece of equipment just for one project.

Tim Sgrazzutti
03-21-2010, 8:54 AM
You'd be better off spending the money on a thickness planer, and keeping it after the workbench build. Jointing one face by hand, and sending it through the planer to get the other side parallel works great. After the other side has enough clean up, you can alternate sides to get a uniform surface finish on them. If you do it this way, your hand jointed face only needs to be flat enough to reference on the planer bed, and who cares about the surface finish of it. After it's thicknessed, use a smoother to remove the machining marks.

Andrew Gibson
03-21-2010, 9:19 AM
This sounds like great advise to me. I have a 6" jointer and use it all the time. I have always thought that I would get a jointer/plainer combo large enough to handle at least 12" stock. but the more I buy lumber the more I realise that the special stuff is to large for a 12" plainer or jointer, and in sme cases to wide for a 16"

I think I have decided that in the long run I will pick up a good quality 12" thickness plainer and when I have material is to large for the tailed machines, enjoy taking the time to surface and thickness it by hand.

You'd be better off spending the money on a thickness planer, and keeping it after the workbench build. Jointing one face by hand, and sending it through the planer to get the other side parallel works great. After the other side has enough clean up, you can alternate sides to get a uniform surface finish on them. If you do it this way, your hand jointed face only needs to be flat enough to reference on the planer bed, and who cares about the surface finish of it. After it's thicknessed, use a smoother to remove the machining marks.

Tri Hoang
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM

That's exactly what I am doing if I has more than a few boards to dimension. It's much faster than using one of those planer jig. Otherwise, I just tackle it with my planes & enjoy the music.

Shawn Albe
03-21-2010, 1:18 PM
All good points above. Probably dumb to buy a tool for one big job (at least when I'm a hobbiest). I do have a DW 733 planer I can use, so maybe I'll try that 'flatten one side by hand' approach. And this should make it easier to justify buying a jointer plane to SWMBO!

This sounds like great advise to me. I have a 6" jointer and use it all the time. I have always thought that I would get a jointer/plainer combo large enough to handle at least 12" stock. but the more I buy lumber the more I realise that the special stuff is to large for a 12" plainer or jointer, and in sme cases to wide for a 16"

I think I have decided that in the long run I will pick up a good quality 12" thickness plainer and when I have material is to large for the tailed machines, enjoy taking the time to surface and thickness it by hand.

Andrew, I think even better advice would be to make friends with someone who has a 20" planer:D

glenn bradley
03-21-2010, 1:52 PM
Of course there are neander ways of drilling, but the drill press makes it easy to be very precise.

Describes most quality power tools don't you think? I do enjoy my planes, braces, scrapers, saws and so on. On the other hand, I'm not about to give up my tailed tools for just the reasons you state. I was however, more than willing to part with ones that were poor or not used enough.

James Scheffler
03-21-2010, 2:29 PM
Describes most quality power tools don't you think? I do enjoy my planes, braces, scrapers, saws and so on. On the other hand, I'm not about to give up my tailed tools for just the reasons you state. I was however, more than willing to part with ones that were poor or not used enough.

When I wrote that I would part with my drill press last, it was more of an indication that drilling holes to that level of accuracy (and I'm talking most about holes that need to be 90-deg to the surface) is beyond my skill with neander tools. Sometimes that's really important and sometimes not. However, the drill press is relatively quiet and relatively safe, so I'm not that motivated to concentrate on hand drilling and getting rid of the drill press.

Hand sawing is a major work in progress for me. :eek: Jointing and planing are things I can do as well by hand as by machine, just slower. So it's all a question of priorities, sometimes driven by safety and sometimes just what I like to do best.

Jim

Rick Erickson
03-21-2010, 7:21 PM
If I had to keep just two power tools in my shop I think it would be my planer and my band saw. I could do without my table saw, jointer and drill press for sure. I could rip on my band saw (cleaning the edge up with my No. 8) and thickness on my planer (after flattening with my planes). Anyone out there do that?

Jules Martin
03-22-2010, 8:40 PM
If I had to keep just two power tools in my shop I think it would be my planer and my band saw. I could do without my table saw, jointer and drill press for sure. I could rip on my band saw (cleaning the edge up with my No. 8) and thickness on my planer (after flattening with my planes). Anyone out there do that?

Yes, that's just what I do, although I do have a benchtop drill press. I think that the Bandsaw/Planer/Drillpress combo is extremely versatile, especially if, like me, one is very limited in space. Also I believe it's a relatively safe combo. These tools don't require endless tuning to be effective and they seem to offer maximum labour saving for the handtool inclined.

Chuck Tringo
03-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Thats where I am leaning now, but due to moves forced my the military, I am using my Bosch 1590 Jigsaw in place of a Bandsaw, and will likely keep it after I retire and do get a bandsaw....for some rips I prefer to bring the tool to the work. The only thing keeping me from selling my Table saw right now (other than being 6000 miles away from it :D) is that the only thing I can resaw with...I don't trust my ability to resaw by hand yet.

Jim Paulson
03-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I am moving to serve in a new congregation, live in a parsonage and it is the perfect time to let go of some power tools in the process. Today I sold my 6" craftsman joiner, a radial arm saw and my dad's table saw and it feels good. I'll still have some machines, but I'm working my way to using hand tools more and more. Since I am rarely happy with the edges I get using a electrically powered joiner, it is about time I just do it all with hand planes.