PDA

View Full Version : Collet Chuck?

John W Dixon
03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
OK Creekers, Teach me something about a collet chuck. Should I buy one, what are they most useful for and are they handy to have or does yours just sit around and collect dust. Thanks for you help.

John

Paul Atkins
03-19-2010, 1:09 AM
Everything I have collects dust -even when I'm using it. I use a 1/2" collet for turning tops, knobs and little stuff. I have a screw 'chuck' that goes into it also for small rosettes and knobs. I have a 3/8" too which gets used once and a while. Anything that I can use a 1/2" stub or dowel gets put in the collet. No jaws hanging out, lots of room around the piece.

Tom Hintz
03-19-2010, 2:39 AM
I use the Beall Collet Chuck and while I don't use it every day, it is great for when I am working with small stuff. I really like the size of it and the access it gives to smaller peices. I also really like the fact that I don't have the jaws of a regular chuck whizzing around while I am trying to get in close on those small pieces.
I ahve a review of the collet chuck I have with photos and a video at the link below if that woud help.

Collet Chuck Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/beallcolletchuckrvu.html)

John Keeton
03-19-2010, 6:53 AM
When I first started turning, I bought the PSI collet chuck setup. It isn't something one uses a lot, but it sure comes in handy at various times when nearly nothing else would work. It does give great tool access.

Jeff Nicol
03-19-2010, 7:50 AM
We all know that any tool is a good tool! In the end the guy with the most tools wins! I made a collet chuck for only 3/8" stock and use it mostly for holding cutters in the headstock for other proceedures on the lathe like cutting threads. I have used it to make repeat small spindles and finials.

My name is Jeff and I am a TOOLAHAULIC!

Jeff

Mike Minto
03-19-2010, 9:29 AM
i have the Beall collet chuck and 3 inserts. have to say that i intend to use it more, but in my limited use i've had only limited success so far...my pieces are difficult to make small enought ot fit into the collet and still be large enough for it to hold...and they usually still wind up spinning under a heavy cut. i wonder if a MT2 drill chuck would not be as useful (runout?).

steven carter
03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
John,

I got this collet chuck set: http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=10921&ss=c1d967bb-aab1-46c4-81f6-5663ee02b96f

from woodcraft. I use it for making small finials/knobs for my chirstmas ornaments. I find it easier than turning between centers when making small finials. With a this, you can gain access to the end of the finial or knob.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I have the collet chuck from PSI. I use it a lot when doing small knobs, finials, tops, icicles for Christmas ornaments, etc. I don't use it everyday but like the others have said sure is handy when needed.

Paul Douglass
03-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I have the Beall set and use it a lot. Coarse I turn mostly small things, pen, yoyos etc. They are handy. I've read very good reports on the PSI one and it is a little cheaper than the Beall. I orginally bought the Woodcraft one and didn't like it, but I can't remember why. Guess I will have to get it out again and try it. Maybe the "why " was because I didn't know what I was doing at the time.

Peter Dougenik
03-19-2010, 2:12 PM
John,

I got this collet chuck set: http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=10921&ss=c1d967bb-aab1-46c4-81f6-5663ee02b96f

from woodcraft. I use it for making small finials/knobs for my chirstmas ornaments. I find it easier than turning between centers when making small finials. With a this, you can gain access to the end of the finial or knob.

Steve

I also have this set and have one word of caution about it: it does not use an industry standard collet. this isn't a problem as long as you don't have a need for a size other than the ones provided in the set, overall it's a nice setup for the money. BUT if you, as I did, need a 7/16" collet to hold something then you're poop outta luck. I'll probably end up selling my Woodcraft set off and getting a Beal so I can add ER32 collets as needed.

steven carter
03-19-2010, 2:48 PM
I also have this set and have one word of caution about it: it does not use an industry standard collet. this isn't a problem as long as you don't have a need for a size other than the ones provided in the set, overall it's a nice setup for the money. BUT if you, as I did, need a 7/16" collet to hold something then you're poop outta luck. I'll probably end up selling my Woodcraft set off and getting a Beal so I can add ER32 collets as needed.

Peter,

I didn't know this about the set from WC. Thanks for the info.

Steve

Mark Hubl
03-19-2010, 2:51 PM
I got a set 7 piece mt2 collet set off ebay. They work well and a great for holding small pieces. Use them alot for bottle stoppers, knobs, etc..

John Tomasello jr
03-19-2010, 7:06 PM
Not something I use often but they do come in handy

John W Dixon
03-19-2010, 7:34 PM
Everyone thanks so much for your replies, reviews and experiences. I really like the idea of these but they are pricey enough I wanted to be sure it would be worth it.

I was at a Nick Cook demo today (small stealth gloat:D) and he used a collet chuck for stoppers, tops and such. His used a drawbar through the lathe that tightened the workpiece. I would much prefer one that does not use the drawbar. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

Thanks again for the knowledge.
John

Mark Hubl
03-19-2010, 9:31 PM
John,
The collets I got on ebay were around $25.00 for the set. As for the draw bar, it is just a long bolt. I used mine on my mini and when I upgraded to a Nova I just went and bought a longer bolt. Just the nature of them. They work fine with draw bolt. Just need a wrench or socket to tighten them up. You don't need any fancy drawbar with knurled knob, etc..

Paul Douglass
03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Got out my Woodcraft collet chuck today and Peter is correct. The collets are not the same. I remember I needed sizes it didn't have and could not find any like theirs. The Woodcraft does have several my Beall doesn't have so now I have quite a wide range.

With my beall, I've made wood collets to fit in my 1/2 or 3/4 collets to use on things I wanted a different size for. I also use the wooden ones to hold things I don't want to scratch, like rifle cartridges.

Marvin Hasenak
03-20-2010, 12:59 AM
I make mostly predator game calls. I use my collet chucks every on almost every call I make. I have 3 different collet chucks, a Beall, the PSI and a ER40 set that is modified to 2MT to use with a draw bar. For all of the other things I make I could live without it, but would not want to. I have all of my pen mandrels, and between center turning for pens all set up to use the collet chucks, not necessary but I like the way they work.

Chris Zeigler
03-20-2010, 1:33 PM
Does anyone know if the PSI collet chuck uses the same collets as the Beall chuck? I believe ER 32, is that right?

Thanks,
Chris

Gary Chester
03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
I've been watching this thread as I'm thinking about getting one too. In fact, yesterday I went to woodcraft and bought their collet chuck.

It could very well be me... but I'm not that excited about it. I was looking forward to being able to turn a finial, remove it and then return it to the chuck and have it still turn true... didn't work that well and I was very careful making the tenon accurate... Am I expecting too much?

Do you folks that have the beall chuck have the same problem?

Dick Mahany
03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Like many others, I have limited use for a collet chuck set up. I consider it a Nice to have, but not a Must have. I do use it on special tasks and have th inexpensive Woodcraft edition. I found a very useful adaptation of it for holding a thread cutter for turning lidded box threads. Additional pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots

Derek Stockley
03-21-2010, 9:41 AM
I made one based on plans from David Reed Smith's website. It works well enough that I've turned a few chess piece sized pieces without the tailstock, and it cost me all of $2 in materials. The only gotcha is you need a tap to cut threads matching your headstock to make the nut.

I found it by googling "all wood collet chuck", here: http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/AllWoodColletChuck/AllWoodColletChuck.htm

Paul Atkins
03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Gary, I would expect a collet chuck to be dead center, and that the piece could be mounted several times without any 'runout' or wobble. I use MT2 collets on my wood lathes and ER collets on my machine lathe. All are very well centered.

Gary Chester
03-22-2010, 3:29 PM
Thanks Paul, that's what I thought.

FWIW, I found the beall set online yesterday for $135 to my door, but they only carried the 1x8 chuck. :mad: