PDA

View Full Version : smallest belt driven table saw?

rocky brown
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
i've been away for awhile but now i'm back. due to downsizing our home i had to give up my woodshop 18 months ago. the tool i miss the most is my cabinet saw:(
i still don't have a lot of space so i'm looking for the smallest belt driven table saw i can find. i've considered the bosch and other portable saws but i want to build a saw into a bench. i just can't go back to a direct drive saw, so any help is appreciated.

James Combs
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
... so i'm looking for the smallest belt driven table saw i can find... i've considered the bosch ...

This is a photo of the parts drawing for a RYOBI 10 in. TABLE SAW - MODEL NO. BT3000. It is a small double belt driven saw. However, this is an older model and I have no idea if it is still manufactured. It was also carried by Sears under the Craftsman brand name. I believe that although it is a belt driven saw the motor is still a universal type motor.:( The same type that is used on direct drives. BTW for a direct drive the Bosch would be hard to beat. It was my previous saw before upgrading to a Griz G0690 cabinet style.

Good luck on your quest.:)

James Combs
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry I forgot to upload the photo.:rolleyes:

scott spencer
03-19-2010, 6:27 AM
I don't know much about the saw, but the little portable Jet 708315b supposedly has a belt drive.

http://www.toolmarts.com/media/JET/Jet_708315BTC_lg.jpg

Roger Pozzi
03-19-2010, 7:44 AM
I'm in the same position right now and, using this down-sizing as an excuse, I just un-loaded, er, sold, my Ryobi BT3100.
Personally, I would stay away from the Ryobi or Craftsman clones just because the blade (arbor/motor) is permanently mounted so all parallel adjustments such as the miter slot, (which you have to add BTW), and the sliding miter table, becomes very frustrating and IMO hard to accomplish. Others with these saws say they have no trouble with them but, mine seemed to be out of adjustment after each project and greatly reduced my enjoyment of my hobby.
I would think that manufacturing a "square" saw table with adjustable trunnions to move the blade into parallel would be fairly easy and much, much more user-friendly.
I, personally am looking into the Bosch, and like you, am considering not getting the gravity-rise stand, and building it into a moveable bench to provide floor space when not sawing, and, to provide out-feed support as needed.
Good luck with your endeavor.

jason lambert
03-19-2010, 2:24 PM
just another consideration how about a felder or hammer combo machine. It is big but you are also getting a jointer, plainer, shaper and the overall footprint is not that big, you might even be able to put wheels on it and push it agenst a wall.

Josiah Bartlett
03-19-2010, 6:52 PM
You could also consider switching to a bandsaw-centric shop, depending on what kind of work you do. Even a 17" saw takes up a less floor space than a benchtop table saw. Then you could use a good guided circular saw system for when you need to rip sheet goods.

rocky brown
03-20-2010, 2:37 PM
well, my decision was made for me this morning when i saw an old craftsman table saw on craigslist. for $145 delivered i couldn't not buy it:D he's supposed to be on his way right now...

Mac McQuinn
03-20-2010, 9:54 PM
Rocky,
Congrats on your purchase, hope it works well for you.
With the amount of used contractor saws on the market at great prices I've always wondered why you could not take the wings off and cut down the fence guide bars to make a really basic, hybrid small footprint "site saw". It's belt driven and probably much more accurate than a tradtional site saw. You could easily add slide out handles to move it around and some larger inflatable rear tires to increase your maneuverability. By using a link belt you could get the motor a little closer to the saw, getting a better CG and smaller OA size.

Mac