PDA

View Full Version : Staying organized on your computer

Lee Ludden
03-18-2010, 7:43 PM
One thing I really like about this and other forums is the wealth of knowledge. For years, I have been looking for a way to keep track of all of the nuggets of useful information is an organized manner. Bookmarks are good for pages, but are a pain to organize and if a page is moved, you lose whatever was there.

About six months ago, I downloaded a freeware application called Evernote, and it has become my most used application. It works like an electronic file folder. You create 'notebooks' within it. Each of these can then hold basically an unlimited number of notes, each of which has a title, tags, whatever. A note can be a web page (with images), pdf file, or image file - basically any type of file. You can install it on several computers and/or smart phones and it will keep the data synchronized between them all. Some of the stuff I use it to store:
PDF manuals for most of my tools, Project ideas, Jigs and how to's, reference tables and more.

There is a free version and a 'Premium' version which has an annual fee. The difference between them is the amount of bandwidth available per month for synchronization and native support for a few more file types. There are no adds or banners or popups in either version. I used the free version for about 4 months and then paid for the premium as I was really loading quite a lot on it and didn't want to worry about bandwidth. It is available for all operating systems, iPhone, Palm Pre, and Driod smart phones. I have no affiliation with the company other than being a very happy user.

I hope someone finds this software to be as useful as I have.

Mark Major
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info Lee; it sounds like it's just the thing I have been looking for...for the same reason as you. Mark:)

Mitchell Andrus
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Is there a version that I can implant in my brain?

Chuck Wintle
03-21-2010, 6:14 PM
Is there a version that I can implant in my brain?
maybe there is a chip implant for that. :D

Lori Kleinberg
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I have read some good reviews of Evernote, but I use Microsoft One Note.
It came with my office software and has some nice options for storing info (similar to Evernote).

john brady
03-26-2010, 5:35 PM
MS probably "borrowed" theirs from Evernote. LOL...John

Michael Schapansky
03-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I've been using Evernote for years both beta and the final version. Very handy app. They also make native applications for some popular smartphones. I have one on my Palm Pre that allows me to search my notes from whereever I am. Very useful. I have hundreds of megs of documents in Evernote on my desktop and I can access them in the field from my phone.

Paul Atkins
03-28-2010, 2:05 AM
Isn't this what 'search' is for?

Michael Weber
03-28-2010, 9:15 AM
I looked at the site and have a question. It seems everything you enter is kept on a website and not your personal computer. Is that correct?