PDA

View Full Version : Help with photos on glasses

Larry Folk
03-18-2010, 5:17 PM
I am new here and I have a small job that I need help with. I have some photos that my customer would like to have engraved on slightly curved wine glasses and a flat glass plate. They were color and I have changed them to gray scale. When I engrave them I get just a rectanglar frosted image.

I have an Epilog 12x24 Mini 75 watt machine and Corel x4.
I am using the glass settings from the manual. (100sp/80p/600dpi)
I don't know where to begin adjusting the photos in Corel.

Attached is my .cdr file and photos.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Corker
03-18-2010, 6:08 PM
Well for a start off Larry, I would suggest you try removing some of the excess on the photo, such as the background, just leaving the subject in the picture. The image needs to have a black background when you remove the excess. Then it needs to be inverted for it to show up on clear glass.

Darren Null
03-19-2010, 3:10 AM
Also, I'd drop the image resolution to 150dpi- glass fractures into conical chips so your dots are bigger. One reason you're just getting a rectangle is that the dots are overlapping each other.

Greyscale won't do it- the images need to be dithered into black and white. What size are the final images going to be?

Finally, some wet paper or a thin layer of dishwashing soap over the glass helps, I'm told.

Rodne Gold
03-19-2010, 3:18 AM
Search for "the gold method" and use that before engraving.

Martin Boekers
03-20-2010, 7:52 PM
photos are tough on glass esp at small sizes. Use scrap window glass for testing as this could take awhile:o

Marty

Frank Corker
03-20-2010, 8:10 PM
Well it doesn't appear to be that important by his response. I just managed to view the attachment which I hadn't noticed. The images have been converted to black and white and very badly reduced in size, over contrasted, but other than that, nothing. These images need to be dithered to some degree and they also need to be negatives otherwise you'll just have the rectangular shape.