PDA

View Full Version : Bois D'arc x2

Kevin J Lalonde
03-18-2010, 4:07 PM
Couple of Bois D'arc (osage orange) the biggest is 12"x2 3/4 the smaller is 5 3/4 x 2 3/4. Found in a ditch and had some nice spalting on the bottom but unforunately most of it was turned away. The larger also had several areas with multiple eyes that really looked cool. Finished with 2 coats of AO. How'd I do? :> All C&C welcomed!!

Mark Burge
03-18-2010, 4:21 PM
Nice work Kevin. Amazing what you'll find on the side of the road, isn't it? I like the form on the bowl with the rounded edge particularly. I am having some trouble understanding the dimensions that you give. The picture makes the rounded edge bowl look bigger, but it's the 5 3/4 diameter, right? Are both bowls the same height? Never the less, good form is good form no matter how small (to paraphrase Dr. Suess), and you got it right.

bob svoboda
03-18-2010, 4:27 PM
Nice find and nicely turned. Beautiful wood with interesting grain. I especially like the larger of the 2--very well formed. BTW, what were you doing in that ditch??:D

John Keeton
03-18-2010, 5:02 PM
Kevin, in answer to the question - YOU DID GREAT!! I particularly like the larger one, and the slight undercut on the bowl/rim transition is a nice touch.

BTW, what were you doing in that ditch??:DNow Bob, you know one just doesn't ask questions like that!!:D;)

Baxter Smith
03-18-2010, 5:30 PM
Both look good. Very pretty wood too.

Kevin J Lalonde
03-18-2010, 6:24 PM
Yes mark you are correct about the dimensions. I'm still not all that devoted to the picture thing yet. Wife doesnt like me sneaking around taking pictures of just "Bowls"!
Well about the ditch thing and why I was there, wait until the sunday paper and well Mr. Keeton do you need another client? ;) Thanks guys!

David E Keller
03-18-2010, 6:26 PM
Well done, Kevin. It's beautiful wood despite the humble origin. I especially like the larger of the two.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2010, 7:06 PM
Really nice bowls Kevin. I really like the second one. Well done.

Charlie Reals
03-18-2010, 7:12 PM
I like both of them, nice work.
Charlie

brian watts
03-18-2010, 8:54 PM
very nice . hedge apple is one of my FAV.wood

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Kevin - nice work on both of the bowls! The two features that really stuck out to me are the rounded lip on the first one and the undercut rim on the second! Nice work!