PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw

Greg Labacz
03-18-2010, 3:59 PM
I'm looking for a bench top band saw to resaw some 1/2" wood thats 6" wide. I know the Hiachi has a cut depth of 5" and sells for about $250. Are there any other benchtops out there? I have little funds and a very small shop( 1/2 of a 1 car garage) so no room for a floor model with a TS taking up 1/4 of room. Is it possible to resaw with a Table saw?

Thanks
Greg:eek:

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning...

george wilson
03-18-2010, 4:06 PM
It is possible,but there is so much wasted wood with the kerf of the tablesaw,I prefer the bandsaw. Plus,you can't resaw too thick due to the limited depth of cut of the tablesaw.

I'm not real keen on resawing on the tablesaw anyway.,with the saw sticking up at full depth! I had to do it many years ago,when I had no bandsaw.

Pete Bradley
03-18-2010, 4:07 PM
If you can wait, you might look around for a vintage Delta Homecraft 10". If you posted a Want to Buy add on the BOYD forum of www.owwm.org, you'd likely find several available.

Pete

Brian Greb
03-18-2010, 4:24 PM
I was in your boat awhile back... I bought the craftsman 10" bench-top saw(identical to the Rikon), Well it broke(also only had a 4 7/8" re-saw) so now I have the craftsman 12" BS(trade-in/upgrade). I ditched the stand that came with it and put it on a shop made cart. Saw works great once you get it dialed in and it only takes up an 18"X22" floor space. I don't know if that helps you... but its what I know.

The craftsman 12" is $399.99 but if your a craftsman club member you can get it for less.

BTW you can re-saw on a TS but i don't recommend it, also never try to re-saw a board thinner than 3/4" on a TS... Way to dicey with the blade fully exposed... I mean I like my fingers where they are man.

Jeff Monson
03-18-2010, 4:40 PM
Might be better to save your money, have a cabinet shop resaw it for you. It wont cost you much either. Save up your money and get a good 14" bandsaw and a good blade when the time is right.. then you can resaw away.

Eric DeSilva
03-18-2010, 4:55 PM
If it is just a one time thing and SMCers knew where you were, you might find someone willing to come resaw your wood on their bandsaw...

Mike Wilkins
03-19-2010, 9:31 AM
If there is a Woodcraft near you, take a look at the bench top Rikon. I got one of those to compliment my Laguna LT18 and it has worked very well.
I cut some 3" thick Cherry recently with a 1/8" blade with no problems.