PDA

View Full Version : How do you obtain [i]most[i] of your wood?

Victor Robinson
03-18-2010, 3:37 PM
Another one of my useless polls, to satisfy my curiosity. :) Thanks for humoring.

Lee Schierer
03-18-2010, 3:40 PM
I buy most of my wood. :D

From a local Hardwood supplier who supplies dimensioned hardwood lumber mostly to the construction trade.

Victor Robinson
03-18-2010, 3:41 PM
Ok funny guy. :D I think it let you post before the poll went up.

Paul Atkins
03-18-2010, 3:42 PM
People keep dropping it by or call me up to let me know about a tree. Night before last I almost tripped over a pistachio log a friend had dropped off - beautiful. Once and a while there is a rumor/connection about a 'barn full of walnut slabs' which could be true or not. For dry furniture grade stuff, I usually got to the hardwood places.

Brian Penning
03-18-2010, 5:30 PM
I don't mind these polls but wish you could select more than 1 choice.
I put the mix option but it's actually the first 2 choices.

Victor Robinson
03-18-2010, 5:57 PM
Hey Brian,

I purposely refrained from letting folks choose more than one - really trying to force poll-takers into thinking about where the majority of the wood comes from. And if it's really too close to call, you can select the last option and explain, just like you did. :)

Brett Nelson
03-18-2010, 7:56 PM
Here the saw mill and hardwood dealers are usually the same place

glenn bradley
03-18-2010, 8:22 PM
Local yard. selection is fair although it used to be way above par. I am considering a large online purchase as there are no sawyers anywhere near me. I would like to do a lumber run to NoCal or Oregon but that is just a pipe dream at this point.

Jim Becker
03-18-2010, 9:11 PM
Victor, the poll was hard for me to respond to the way it's constructed. All of my poplar and walnut is off our property, milled by a fellow with a portable mill and dried by me. All my cherry comes from either a local hardware concern or Hearne Hardwoods. I'll occasionally buy some lumber from other sources as the opportunity arrises.

John Schreiber
03-18-2010, 9:30 PM
None of the above; distant hardwood dealer. I drive about three hours to the Chicago area to buy hardwood.

Philip Johnson
03-18-2010, 9:32 PM
If you ask my wife I just buy tools and never make anything.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-18-2010, 9:42 PM

+1 That made me LOL.

Josh Brouse
03-19-2010, 1:08 AM

LOL!!

No wife, But I seem to say that to myself a lot.

I'm in serious need of shop time.

Dave Gaul
03-19-2010, 7:28 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132288

If I don't have what I need there, I go to a local rough-lumber yard...

Rich Aldrich
03-19-2010, 6:49 PM
This one was tough because:

I buy some from sawmills rought cut for wholesale prices; some from my dad who is a logger and have a friend saw it on his TimberKing; I cut some off my property and have my friend saw it - soon I will be cutting some to turn on my new lathe.

Of course, sheet goods come from lumber yards.

Yea, my wife thinks I buy a lot more tools than necessary for what I turn out. Patients, dear, patients.

Peter Quinn
03-19-2010, 7:53 PM
Frankly, I take scraps home from work mainly. I buy very little, and most of that is secondary wood. For instance, we are working a curved flooring job presently, making a long gently radius in QSWO. Most of the boards are 4/4, maybe 12"-18" wide, 14'-16' long, and we are cutting one 3 1/2" floor board from each. So I am saving the scraps, and it adds up quick. some of the most beautiful QS material I have seen in a while, waste is built in to the job, I salvage what ever I can. This leaves me making what I can from what I get rather than buying what I need to make what I design. They call me the seagull. I feed my wood habit from the dumpster.

Karl Card
03-19-2010, 7:57 PM
Most of my flat wood comes from local people that have it and want it out of there life, for free. My pen blanks comes frm that and also I get from an ebay member in Hawaii. I also search ebay for deals on wood. I usually pick a mileage radious and go from there..

Cody Colston
03-19-2010, 10:41 PM
The results of this poll are also somewhat dependent on how prolific one is as a woodworker. Some of the members here regularly churn out projects, some of them bordering on and surpassing spectacular. Others probably still have the first board they ever acquired so while their answer may be true, it also skews the results.

Personally, I get most of my lumber from a local sawmill, usually for a specific project but I also mill some myself on the bandsaw or have it milled for me. I'll also buy from individuals if I run across a good deal.