PDA

View Full Version : Boggs Spoke Shave Handles

Dale Osowski
03-18-2010, 1:37 PM
Hello

Can anyone tell me how the handles are attached to the Boggs spoke shave body? Are there steel threaded inserts or are the handles tapered and glued in?

Thanks

Mike Henderson
03-18-2010, 2:36 PM
Send an e-mail to LN and I'll bet they tell you.

Mike

Dale Osowski
03-18-2010, 3:34 PM
Thanks Mike

I actually have an email into them but thought I would try here to incase someone would know.

Dale Osowski
03-18-2010, 4:43 PM
Here is the answer fron LN if anyone else is curious.

Dale,

There are threaded inserts epoxied into the handle, these are then threaded on and fixed to the body with lock-tite.

Zach England
03-18-2010, 4:44 PM
no metal threaded insert--threaded rod into wood

Dale Osowski
03-18-2010, 4:47 PM
Thanks for the photo. Did yours break loose? I'm thinking about making new ones for my shaves but wasn't sure how there are fitted.

Zach England
03-18-2010, 4:49 PM
Thanks for the photo. Did yours break loose? I'm thinking about making new ones for my shaves but wasn't sure how there are fitted.
I deliberately twisted it off, not realizing there was epoxy on it. I twisted it back on and it feels just as secure.

Zach England
03-18-2010, 4:53 PM

What makes you want new handles? I'm just curious.

I like this spokeshave, but I have always wished it had beefier handles. Maybe I will do the same.

Dale Osowski
03-18-2010, 4:54 PM
They really make sure they are on there. I tried twisting mine but I thought I better make sure they are not attached like a socket chisel handle and glued. I was worried about splitting the handles. I like the Ash but I wan't to spruce them up a bit, maybe Koa?

Dale Osowski
03-18-2010, 4:56 PM
Yes, I agree on making them a bit beefier to.