PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Grizzly 20" Planers

Steve Kohn
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know if anyone has done an analysis before on this. If they have I haven't seen it. I am a serious hobbiest looking for a upgrade on a planer. I have been looking at the Grizzly 20 inch models, with spiral cutters heads.

The G0454Z is priced at $2295. The G1033X is priced at $2995. The relative specifications are very similiar on both machines. Anyone know why the large price difference? Country of manufacture in Taiwan vs. China maybe?

Also has anyone used both machines? Comments?

John Thompson
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a York-craft (now dis-continued from Wilke Machinery) 20" that is idenical to the G 0454 Z but with standard knives which would be the G 0454 I assume. Great machine for the money.. I've had if for about 4 years and have run around 30,000 linear feet through it without a burp. One knife change so far.

I had to google G 1033 Z on the Grizzly site to find it as it is not listed with the now offered planers. It has the spiral but I have no clue as to why is is more. It does look a bit different in a few features but the specs basically came up the same on both so... possibly a different plant with higher cost at the time it was made? But that is strickly a guess.

Call Grizzly tech and simply ask them what the difference is. I can assure you the G 0454 will do about everything you could ask in a home shop and could function well in a cabinet shop. I cannot comment on the spiral heads on the Z model but the standard knife model is a work-horse with Capital H. An excellent price also.

Good luck...

Jonathan Spool
11-24-2010, 1:41 PM
I know that this is an old post, but for the sake of anyone doing a search on the same topic in the future, I believe that I have found out the main difference between the G0454Z, and the G1033X. Besides the obvious cosmetic differences of the machines, the biggest difference is with the cutter heads.
The G1033X utilizes a cutterhead specifically designed for that machine. Besides a 1/8" diameter difference, the cutters are 2.5mm thick, rather than 2mm thick, and the edge has a slight curve to them, so they would theoretically make a better cut.

The one area that is very different is in the cost of replacement cutters.
For the G1033X, 10 10 packs of cutters (Part H9893 , complete replacement) will run you $629.50, while the same number of cutters for the G0454Z (Part T21348) would cost 399.50.

Interestingly, If you were to purchase a G0454 with a standard head, and replace the head with either a Byrd or the standard Grizzly H7656, a full cutter change out would cost $270 to $310.

BTW, info on the G1033X cutters came from a Griz tech.
Motors, although different part numbers, and amperage statement in the specs, are the same.

Dan Blackshear
11-25-2010, 9:14 AM
Interestingly, If you were to purchase a G0454 with a standard head, and replace the head with either a Byrd or the standard Grizzly H7656, a full cutter change out would cost $270 to $310.

Even more interesting is with the Christmas sale going on right now this combination (the standard head G0454 and the H7656 separate spiral head) is $200 cheaper than purchasing the G0454Z with spiral head.
You just have to decide if the hassle of changing out the head is worth the money.

Steve Kohn
11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Jonathan thanks for doing the research. What you posted seems to make sense. To be honest I had forgotten about that old post, and the fact that I never got an answer.

BTW, I still haven't bought a new planer although I am getting closer. I have the OK from SWMBO, but only after Christmas. I have decided to go with the 15 inch segmented head instead of the 20. I don't really room for the 20 inch.