PDA

View Full Version : Water powered sump pumps

dennis thompson
03-18-2010, 8:27 AM
We have two sump pumps in our house & worry about a blackout causing a flood. I've been looking at a water powered backup sump pump, I guess you hook it up to your water & it runs off that power. Seems like a less expensive alternative that a backup generator. I might add we rarely have blackout in my area (I know I Shouldn't have said that) Does anyone have any experience with these water powered sump pumps?
Thanks
Dennis

Prashun Patel
03-18-2010, 8:44 AM
I believe they work on the "Venturi" principle. Basically, you can create a pressure differential with the moving water, which'll suck up water from the pit.

There are 2 'drawbacks' I've heard of: 1) it's not that fast, 2) It's not that efficient (it wastes a LOT of water).

Neither of these might matter much if you have a power outage.

Tom Godley
03-18-2010, 9:46 AM
I have looked into them -- and they do work as Shawn says.

The one I researched was about $800.00 for just the pump - plus installation and associated parts.

I ended up going with a battery backup unit. It pumped more water and could handle some dirt in the water

Since they use a lot of water -- it is important that the discharge is far away.

Thankfully -- I have never needed it!

Anthony Anderson
03-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I installed a battery backup sump pump. Watchdog is the brand name. Been very happy with it. The cost was approximately $350.

I have had two saves. Once, when the primary sump pump went bad, and a second time when the float stuck on the primary pump.

It was a great investment/insurance, that has paid for itself.

Good Luck, Bill

Pat Germain
03-18-2010, 4:29 PM
The navy uses water powered pumps. They call them "eductors" and they work amazingly well. One Navy gasoline powered pump can move a lot of water. But, as I recall, adding an eductor will move more than twice the amount of water.

On a ship. the water supply is no big deal. It comes from the ocean. In a house, I can see how it might be a problem; especially if you're using city water. I guess well water wouldn't be working during a power failure anyway.

Dick Strauss
03-18-2010, 9:06 PM
I've seen these water based systems for $100 at the local Menard's so the prices are definitely coming down...

Tom Godley
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
The units i have seen for 100 bucks were just the pump WO any controls.

Curt Harms
03-19-2010, 7:52 AM
In airplanes they're typically called Jet Pumps and work on the venturi principle. No moving parts typically and VERY reliable. As long as there's fluid flowing through them with adequate velocity and the passage ways are unobstructed they work.

Joshua Culp
03-19-2010, 9:53 AM
The navy uses water powered pumps. They call them "eductors" and they work amazingly well. One Navy gasoline powered pump can move a lot of water. But, as I recall, adding an eductor will move more than twice the amount of water.

On a ship. the water supply is no big deal. It comes from the ocean. In a house, I can see how it might be a problem; especially if you're using city water. I guess well water wouldn't be working during a power failure anyway.

One of the biggest advantages to using a Venturi pump on board ship is safety when de-watering a space where the water may be contaminated with fuel. Pumping fuel or fuel fuel-contaminated water with a mechanically driven pump could cause an explosion. Putting a gasoline powered pump in a space with fuel vapors could cause an explosion.

The Navy's answer is to put the gasoline powered pump topside in the open air, and run water hoses into the space to feed the Venturi pump (and carry away the feed water and the water being evacuated). The Venturi pump has no mechanical moving pieces that could ignite a fuel mixture.

Wes Billups
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I just installed this in my basement as a backup and am very impressed. It hasn't been needed but in testing it'll handle alot of water quickly. Not as much as the electric primary pump but in my estimation it'll handle my needs should we be without power for an extended time.

Zoeller 503-0005 "Homeguard" Max Water-Powered Back-Up Sump Pump System
http://ec-images.acehardwareoutlet.com/raw/products/327374_ra.jpg

The pump was $140 at Ace Hardware and took 2 hours to install.

Two things to consider. The volume it'll handle is dependent on water supply volume and pressure and the height to discharge. I was lucky in it was close to the main and I was able to run a 3/4" supply directly to the pump. My only concern is the drain line freezing up outside the house and the water pump sending water into the pit to fill it even faster. I will say if we're without power and it's cold enough to freeze the discharge line I've got more problems than the sump pit.

Wes

Dave Haughs
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
I've been looking into these water powered backup systems as well, seems like there isn't much there to fail other than the switch. As posted above I have also read they use twice as much water as they pump out, but I'd rather a high water bill than a flooded basement. Seems like the only thing that can really go bad is the switch :confused:

I haven't found anyone with one yet to find out how they like it, just a plumber that recommends them. I don't trust my battery backup sump pump and if the power were to go out for a while it wouldn't last.

Tom Godley
03-19-2010, 3:18 PM
The one I was looking at was metal -- that looks quite nice for the price.

As long as the valve holds out -- I think the plastic is a plus