PDA

View Full Version : How is table secured?

Brian Penning
03-18-2010, 7:40 AM
I've been asked to make something similiar to the photo below and I've been trying to figure out how the table is solidly secured.
Obviously(?) it's attached to the wall/window ledge but you folks think it's only there? Even if the single leg is attached to the floor(and how did that get done?) I don't think it'll last long.
Thoughts?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/S6ISdE7HDfI/AAAAAAAAYBg/PLyaOPPGS44/nook2.jpg

Tony Bilello
03-18-2010, 7:49 AM
You would screw a block of wood securely to the floor. Then set the leg on top of it. Them wrap the tall molding around the leg and block at the same time.

Lee Schierer
03-18-2010, 7:50 AM
It does indeed appear that the table is attached to the wall and the weight is supported by the two legs and stretcher. Anchor it to teh wall with a wide strip of wood or a metal plate/angle that is nearly the same length as the width of the table. If the support to the wall is strong I don't see why the table wouldn't last. You could always use pocket screws to attach the front leg to the floor.

Frank Drew
03-18-2010, 5:37 PM
That's actually a pretty nice solution to having a trestle table while avoiding the typical trestle table feet that would get in the way in a fixed booth like that.

A couple of smallish angle irons screwed to the floor and hidden side of the outside foot block would supplement the fastening to the wall.

David DeCristoforo
03-18-2010, 6:57 PM
I have built such tables with a hole down the center of each leg. Then drilled through the floor and used long threaded rods to bolt the legs to the floor. Top is attached afterwards. No wall connection needed.

Ramsey Ramco
03-18-2010, 7:44 PM
I agree with david get an auger bit and a couple extensions bore through the solid legs anchor it and then attach the top on site, unfortunatly this method works best with an unfinshed basement or crawlspace. If it is on a lower level or concrete floor epoxy the threaded rods in.

Jamie Buxton
03-18-2010, 7:57 PM
Here's what I've done a couple times, and it works well. The cleat on the wall gets lag-screwed to all the studs you can reach. The top can be solid lumber, attached to the base with figure-8 clips, or any other way you like. Generally the top is 1 1/2" thick, and does add structural strength if somebody tries to kick the leg sideways. I've never screwed the leg to the floor, but I suppose you could put a pocket screw on the inside face if you want.

If you use plywood for the top, you can screw it firmly to the base, and it also acts structurally.

To install the table, leave the top off. It is easier to wrassle that way. Secure the base to the wall using a level. Then drop the top on the base, screw in the figure-8 clips, and you're done.

Karl Brogger
03-18-2010, 9:36 PM
If you're semi flexible on where the legs can go, you could just cut a hole in the floor and lag bolt it to the joist's or trusses. Pretty sure that'd be solid.

Jason White
03-18-2010, 9:40 PM
Maybe bench bolts up through the floor (from the basement)?

Jason

I've been asked to make something similiar to the photo below and I've been trying to figure out how the table is solidly secured.
Obviously(?) it's attached to the wall/window ledge but you folks think it's only there? Even if the single leg is attached to the floor(and how did that get done?) I don't think it'll last long.
Thoughts?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/S6ISdE7HDfI/AAAAAAAAYBg/PLyaOPPGS44/nook2.jpg

Myk Rian
03-18-2010, 9:45 PM
The way I see the pictured table, either mount it to the wall and leave the legs be, or screw the legs to the floor.
You could always mount it to the wall in a way that would allow it to be lifted up and removed for cleaning.