PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - Not For The Faint of Heart

James Combs
03-17-2010, 11:11 PM
I recently posted a gloat concerning my newly purchased G0690 and a Combo Mill/Lathe. Several of the respondents noted that it doesn't count until the equipment is in the shop and photos are posted of it sitting in the shop.

Well here's mine:D

Whoa now just a minute you say. Why is it in pieces?:eek:

Well yep there's a story. A sad sad sad... did I mention it's a saaad story.:(

Take a look at this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=324

Make sure you have a Kleenex or two around and if you laugh make sure I don't hear you cause I know where you live or at least where you chat.:D

This happened today as I was bringing my new purchases the 5 miles home from the receiving dock.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Ooooooh Mannnnn!

My sincere sympathies!

Bill Whig
03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
I read the whole story.... Good luck getting her fixed up good as new! Maybe if you explain to Grizzly what happened, they might be more kind and generous with the cost of replacement parts?

Bill

Bryan Wellman
03-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Brutal........I would cry. I am in the market for a new TS, but might be careful perusing Craigslist for tree cutting tablesaws!! LOL

Terry Teadtke
03-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I thought those things only happened to me! Anyway, looked pretty closely at the damage and I think it should buff right out.

Terry

James Combs
03-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Whoa there Mr. Bryan, I said no laughter.:rolleyes:

Actually I have been laughing most of the day (to keep from crying):o I have already checked with Grizzly on parts. I have to give them credit on the construction of this saw. It toppled out of my Pickup at a minimum of 40mph. Of course I didn't see it happen but sure heard it. When if finished flying it was completely striped of all packaging and was lying on it's side in the leaves and weeds. Amazingly enough the biggest damage it sustaind was the broken front trunnion ($121.50 according to Griz parts, but not avail til mid April). The cabinet sustained very little damage other then the small kink you can see above the motor opening. The electrical contactor broke away from its mounting but I can fix that with a little epoxy if not it is $70. I don't think the slight chipping on the gear teeth will be a problem they are for the angle adjustment and appear to be at around the 35* mark. All in all it could have been a lot worse. I had to completely disassemble it to get it back in the truck. The farmer that owned the landing spot heard it can came running. He loaned me a set of Allen wrenches.

Brutal........I would cry. I am in the market for a new TS, but might be careful perusing Craigslist for tree cutting tablesaws!! LOL

Andrew Nemeth
03-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm so sorry to read about your loss... I really am. Looks like you have a pretty good sense of humor. I am glad to see nobody was hurt.

-Andrew

Jonathan Hsu
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Your disposition is MUCH better than what mine would be if this happened to me. Good on ya!

You must have found the ole silver lining since you're still able to even poke fun at yourself.

To quote MP and The Holy Grail....."that's nothing but a flesh wound."

That was a good one Terry.

Neil Brooks
03-17-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm stunned, shocked, saddened, and speechless.

I'm buying you a virtual shot of whiskey.

I wonder whether homeowners' or auto insurance could ... get involved, here.

The only upside? It's not new anymore. You know how that first scratch or ding kind of stings, but ... then ... it's a little bit of a relief?

You're there.

Hope it all works out, James.

THIS qualifies as a major Bag of Downers.

Chip Lindley
03-18-2010, 12:07 AM
My heartfelt condolences James! I have two words for you to reflect on:

Load Binder!

Don't leave home to haul heavy stuff without one (or two) of those yellow WalMart tie down straps!

Mike Heidrick
03-18-2010, 1:13 AM
Truck OK? Ouch that one hurt!

Tullie Templet
03-18-2010, 1:48 AM
:( That Sucks Big Time. I thought stuff like that only happens to me. I bought a new truck finally after 10 years and the third day I had it I backed into a bush and put a big dent in the passanger door. I imagine the feeling I felt in my gutt is about the same you are feeling after this. I really feel bad for you.:(

tyler mckee
03-18-2010, 2:07 AM
:( That Sucks Big Time. I thought stuff like that only happens to me. I bought a new truck finally after 10 years and the third day I had it I backed into a bush and put a big dent in the passanger door. I imagine the feeling I felt in my gutt is about the same you are feeling after this. I really feel bad for you.:(

It's what happens when you buy something new, about 3 days after i bought my truck i dropped a 4x8 sheet of 3x4 plywood on the side of my bed, on corner hit and put a nice 12" long ding down the bed side. You buy something old and used and you'll never put a scratch on it though!

Bob Luciano
03-18-2010, 2:35 AM
Sorry to hear it happened. If you are looking for a silver lining no one was hurt and considering what you dropped that is a big deal. Any chance you bought it with Amex? I think they cover this type of thing

Kent A Bathurst
03-18-2010, 2:36 AM
...........I have been laughing most of the day (to keep from crying):o ..........the landing spot.....

I like your style, James - I like your style and sense of humor. Shrug it off, and press on regardless. No doubt it will all end well

Jon Lanier
03-18-2010, 2:38 AM
Your taking this a lot better than I would. In fact your taking this a lot better than I am right now and I don't even own it.

Good for you!

Rich Engelhardt
03-18-2010, 6:38 AM
Man - that sucks!
Look on the bright side though.
It was a deserted stretch of road.

Imagine how much worse it would have been if there was a group of kids in the path...

Tony Bilello
03-18-2010, 6:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. You seem to be taking it well. I'm surprised that the damage was relatively minimal, all things considered.
Once you starting milled lumber instead of lumber-on-the-hoof, this whole incident will be even funnier.

Mark Duksta
03-18-2010, 7:35 AM
I wonder whether homeowners' or auto insurance could ... get involved, here.

I was thinking the same thing. Your insurance might cover it.

When I was picking up my Grizzly 1023 TS at the freight terminal I saw it fall off of the forklift when the guy was trying to load it into my truck. That was a shocker. I can't imagine my new saw flying out of the back of the truck. Ouch!

Sylvain Deschamps
03-18-2010, 8:01 AM
LOML insist on asking (not me) where were your cargo straps?:rolleyes:
Seriously I hope you can repair it, and the important thing is that no one was hurt.

Mike Wilkins
03-18-2010, 8:24 AM
I would still be in tears and shock for days after that. Since I am in the insurance business, I would strongly suggest you contact your agent ( your homeowners policy) and file a claim. Policies differ from state to state, but it should be coverage for items that are damaged like this. Maybe Grizzly can help. Good luck.

James Combs
03-18-2010, 8:41 AM
I keep about a dozen in the back seat but "I didn't need any". After all the saw was surrounded by a 4 other boxes and I was only going 5 miles:o

LOML insist on asking (not me) where were your cargo straps?:rolleyes:
Seriously I hope you can repair it, and the important thing is that no one was hurt.

I don't think there will be too much of a problem fixing it except for parts delivery. The broken parts are out of stock until mid April. Mean while I will be straightening the cabinet and cleaning mud, dirt, leaves etc off of everything and trying to figure out some-sort of crane or hoist mechanism to handle the trunnion assembly during reassembly. I estimate that the trunnion assembly is 150 to 200 pounds or else I am older then I realize.:rolleyes:

James Combs
03-18-2010, 8:43 AM
I will be checking out the insurance angle today but since I neglected to strap it in I doubt that they will be much help.:(

I would still be in tears and shock for days after that. Since I am in the insurance business, I would strongly suggest you contact your agent ( your homeowners policy) and file a claim. Policies differ from state to state, but it should be coverage for items that are damaged like this. Maybe Grizzly can help. Good luck.

Brad Townsend
03-18-2010, 8:58 AM
I'm sure you had a few choice words at the time it happened, but I really admire your humorous spin on it. We should all be able to take life's little disasters the way you do. After all, it's only a saw. Thanks for sharing a great story with pictures.

Bruce Page
03-18-2010, 9:41 AM
Yeow!
I'm sure I wouldn't have handeled that tragedy nearly as well as you.

Russell Smallwood
03-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey James,

Great attitude! You know, in the end, you will have a much closer relationship with your saw than most of us have and every time you achieve some new success it will be that much sweeter.

I waited 10 years to get a flat screen/high def TV (thank you Dave Ramsay). Finally found one at the local Fry's (60" plasma) for $1099. It was a dream come true, I'd waited ever so long, and it was also the last one they had, I could hardly contain my excitement.

Got it loaded in the van, brought it home and asked the wife to help carry it in the house. She obliged, but while bringing it through the garage/shop, she accidently dropped it. It landed, very hard, on one of the lower corners on my cement floor. It was a sickening crash, bent the entire corner in about 3/4 of an inch. :eek:

After we both stopped crying, we hauled it in and turned it on and were both relieved to see that it was as good as new.

Mike Minto
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
was probably easier to get in the shop, having been disassembled...

Sean Nagle
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I will be checking out the insurance angle today but since I neglected to strap it in I doubt that they will be much help.:(

The moment you know what's going to happen is the worst.

Do check with your insurance agent. Your homeowners policy does cover bone-headed moves. It covered my bike when I drove it into the garage... mounted on the roof of my car.

Shiraz Balolia
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
James - sorry to hear of your accident.

I have seen and heard of a lot of customer damages on machines over the years, but it is still gut-wrenching to me to see a new machine damaged so close to home.

We will be doing the following:

1) Find you the parts you need right away.
2) Not charge you for the parts.

Once you have fixed the issues and tuned out the saw, you should enjoy it for many years to come. Your positive attitude is something to behold!

Andrew Joiner
03-18-2010, 11:11 AM

I have seen and heard of a lot of customer damages on machines over the years, but it is still gut-wrenching to me to see a new machine damaged so close to home.

Once you have fixed the issues and tuned out the saw, you should enjoy it for many years to come. Your positive attitude is something to behold!

Wow, Shiraz. Your presence here is truly appreciated. I think you know that this community is pretty good at finding the best machines for the money,but customer service like this is priceless!

Joe Leigh
03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Now that's a class act right there!
Makes me even more glad to have purchased my new 1023RL..

James your positive attitude has paid off and just think, you have the coolest 690 story out there.

Derek Gilmer
03-18-2010, 11:30 AM

And that is why I keep grizzly as my #1 tool supplier. Not that I expect to ever launch a saw at a tree, or if I do and break it I don't expect free parts. But the fact that they care enough about the customer to do it onces makes me feel warm and fuzzy about how they will treat other more normal issues.

That and when I go to the MO Grizzly store I also get to eat at Lambert's cafe :D

Bob Luciano
03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Not that I expect to ever launch a saw at a tree,

Probably not what I was supposed to take from that post but it struck me funny.

and

Hey if you change your mind I want to watch the video:)

Mark Duksta
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Awesome! Grizzly will continue to get my business.

Brian Kincaid
03-18-2010, 11:47 AM

:eek: Go go grizz-Shiraz. :D Stuff like this makes me glad I have 3 of their machines.
-Brian

Dan Friedrichs
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM

As I read the OP's post last night, I thought, "Man, I hope Shiraz sees this - I bet he'd get a good laugh out of this and help the guy out". Not sure if he thought it was as funny as I did (it was one of his saws, after all), but...WOW!!! :eek:

Looks like James' good attitude about this situation made it come out MUCH better than it could have! An inspiration to all of us!

Cameron Reddy
03-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Impressive response from Grizzly. Clearly eliminates the need and advisability of filing an insurance claim.

James, I love the comments with the pictures. Funny. Really funny!

Cameron

Bruce Page
03-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Shiraz, you and your company are a class act!

jason lambert
03-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry to hear for your loss that sucks. I have had similar things happen. Actually several years ago a tool, large tool fell of a truck I was following on my motorcycle. Well lets just say I lost. Guy never knew it fell of and caused one heck of a accident me and several other people. At least the only thing hurt was the table saw.

Augusto Orosco
03-18-2010, 2:32 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your loss and impressed by Shiraz' response. I am very pleased with my two Grizzly machines (8" jointer and DC) and plan on keeping patronizing them in the future!

Sylvain Deschamps
03-18-2010, 2:39 PM
Wow Shiraz! I am impressed! I will be looking for Grizzly dealers in eastern Canada for my next big tool purchase.

David Prince
03-18-2010, 2:53 PM

Okay, so I am reading this thread about the saw and I was thinking that this could probably happen to any of us. But, OP should have been better about securing the load and felt that the OP did this to himself and now he has to live with the consequences of his actions. I do feel for you! I would have used some choice words and would have been sick about this! Your sense of humor is admirable.

BUT...seeing the response from Shiraz is overwhelming. I am not an emotional kinda guy, but it did bring a tear to my eye. I have a G0690 and I am proud to have it in my shop!

Grizzly earned some kudos today and nobody would have thought less of them if they did nothing!!!

Aaron Wingert
03-18-2010, 3:44 PM
After reading James' post and getting a feel for his good demeanor in such an unfortunate circumstance, and after reading Shiraz's generous post which brings this unfotunate incident to a wonderful end.....I feel pretty comfy in laughing even though we were warned not to! :D

Shiraz, you are a class act sir. Your personal ethic as well as your company's commitment to customer service reaffirms that I made good decisions when I've bought Grizzly tools. I know where my new cabinet saw will come from when I finally decide to pull the trigger.

Raymond Fries
03-18-2010, 3:50 PM
... I really feel for ya.

I am sorry for your unfortunate accident. :(

But you have a nice spirit and at the end of the day (or many) it will be like new again.

All my hopes for a successful rebuild.

Gary Herrmann
03-18-2010, 5:51 PM
Oh man, James. I did get a chuckle reading your pictorial story, and I do apologize for that.

I was going to say that you are due some good luck, and look what Shiraz does.

I'm going to have to look at Grizzly next time I'm ready to make a major purchase.

Hmm. That 18" wide belt sander might fit down the stairs...

Good luck on fixing up the saw, James. Post pics after your first cut.

Dave Lehnert
03-18-2010, 8:26 PM
Being involved in customer service I can tell you a manager feels like helping a customer out that is truthful and honest. It is refreshing to get the honest truth once in a blue moon. I bet 99% of others (not creekers) in this mess would have called and said it was damaged in shipping. Honesty is the best policy.

Shiraz - What can I say, I'm speechless. You are a class act.

johnny means
03-18-2010, 8:40 PM
Obligatory flame for not securing your load:D.

Peter Quinn
03-18-2010, 8:41 PM
I'd have though a big BS was a better choice for taking down trees, but what do I know?:eek: Your sense of humor about the whole thing is great. Chin up and carry on takes a lot of strength. Shiraz's response if first rate too. Enjoy that saw when you get it together, and no more TS bowling sir, its just not safe.

Dan Karachio
03-18-2010, 8:43 PM
James, you have taught us all a lesson, not exactly in drivers ed or tool transportation, :D but in taking life in stride. We can all get so worked up over the smallest things, but you had one heck of a bad day and yet took it all so well and then you shared it with us. Shiraz meanwhile has taught us a lesson in taking care of customers. I promise, I am in the market for a bandsaw in the next year and it will be a Grizzly. This thread and the whole story made the decision easy.

Bob Luciano
03-18-2010, 8:50 PM
I have to say this reminds me of a guy on another Forum that dropped his Rikon BS day after Christmas. He seemed to take it in stride, I sent an email to Rikon and they got in touch with him the next day. Seems a few companies value their customers. Too bad the people that built my washing machine don't

Joe Mioux
03-18-2010, 8:57 PM
James, thanks for sharing this story and like others have mentioned and know, Shiraz reads SMC and comments when appropriate.

Posts like this demonstrate why Grizzly is so successful.

Ross Canant
03-18-2010, 9:05 PM
It could be worse. I dropped a 1915 Crescent 32" bandsaw while unloading it. Broke the top wheel. It took about 6 years to find another wheel. That saw survived unscathed for 80+ years until I got it.

Jaze Derr
03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm sure you would have had more luck getting that tree down, had you at least aimed the RIGHT PART of the saw at it. Pretty sure the blade is the most useful part for that kind of operation.

But, what I do I know? You could start a whole new generation of lumberjacks out there!

James Combs
03-18-2010, 11:08 PM

I am sure glad to see Mr Shiraz post because I know you guys would think I was a liar as well as a lousy tool transporter. I just came on line a few minutes ago to tell everyone about what Grizzly is doing but but Shiraz says it much better then I could

There is NO WAY any other company can beat customer service like that.:)

THANK YOU MR. SHIRAZ BALOLIA!!

And thanks to everyone for your encouragement.

PS
I spent the day in the shop straitening out the few dents in the cabinet and sanding some of the scratches (I am apparently getting touch-up paint too) so that everything will be ready when the new parts arrive.

Here are some photos of the cabinet after repairs but no paint yet.

I checked the top with a straight edge across the diagonals and it seems to still be nice a flat so I used it to check the four corners of the cabinet to make sure it wasn't twisted or something worse. The top rocked across two corners about a 32nd. That can be corrected with a shim so as soon as the parts arrive I am ready to reassemble. The last photo is a repeat of the a before photo.

Jason Hanko
03-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Wow hey, funny story Shiraz - I was on my way home today, and my brand new G0690 fell out of my truck... oh, and on the way out it banged up the G0449 and G0706 I had back there pretty bad too.... :D:D:D:D:D

In all seriousness though, this is an unbelievable display of generosity from a man/company that are already well known for taking care of their customers. Its one thing to read positive reviews on a company's product and customer service, but its actually amazing to see the president of a company getting personally involved to solve a problem that he has absolutely no obligation to fix.
As has been said above, things like this make me proud to have a garage full of Grizzly green.

Ernie Nyvall
03-19-2010, 1:10 AM
What Shiraz has done here makes me happy to say that I have ordered a Grizzly table saw that is to be delivered in May. I've always received good customer service from Grizzly, but I'll have to say that this goes above and beyond. I mean it's not like you dropped a carton of eggs before you got out of the grocery store. What a deal, and VERY WELL DONE MR. BALOLIA!!!

Congrats James and good luck fitting all the pieces together.

Eric Gustafson
03-19-2010, 2:46 AM
I have the 690 and my heart goes out to you. As it is, I am grieving just looking at your misfortune. Maintaining your good attitude says something about you. If it had happened to me, I would had gone home, gotten sick drunk and it would have been days before I could have even looked at the parts, let alone recover from my stupor.

Shiraz, I really like the Grizzly tools I have. They stand on their own merit, due to their quality, features, and dare I say, style. I feel even better about owning them knowing what a great company you have and a compassionate person you are. Thanks for stepping up to help this guy.

Jerry Balzell
03-19-2010, 4:35 AM
Good to know that it worked out in the end.

Jerry

Mike Cruz
03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
James, what can I say... you are unbelievably positive and karma worked for you. Kudos.

Shiraz, you are a generous soul. Thanks for being there.

James, there was a thread a couple of months ago about an 17 minute gloat (or something like that) that centered around a Creeker getting a great deal on a BS, but 17 minutes into his trip home, he lost the BS around a turn... right onto the asphalt.

I sold a guy my 7" HF jointer and he made it about 25 minutes from my house before it exited his pick up... right onto the asphalt.

So, don't feel like you are the only one who has done it. Not that I need to be telling you to keep your chin up or anything... you seem to be doing that all on your own. Just know that you aren't alone.

James Combs
03-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, my gloat title could have been similar. "4 Minute Gloat":rolleyes:. I was only about 3 miles away from the receiving dock, two miles to go to the house/shop.:( Oh well, I thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ as well as Shiraz. You can't bet Shiraz's style of Customer Service. I also continue to thank all the Creekers here who have chimed in with much need moral support.

James, what can I say... you are unbelievably positive and karma worked for you. Kudos.

Shiraz, you are a generous soul. Thanks for being there.

James, there was a thread a couple of months ago about an 17 minute gloat (or something like that) that centered around a Creeker getting a great deal on a BS, but 17 minutes into his trip home, he lost the BS around a turn... right onto the asphalt.

I sold a guy my 7" HF jointer and he made it about 25 minutes from my house before it exited his pick up... right onto the asphalt.

So, don't feel like you are the only one who has done it. Not that I need to be telling you to keep your chin up or anything... you seem to be doing that all on your own. Just know that you aren't alone.

Carl Hill
03-19-2010, 1:41 PM
Wow James, you are a better man than I. My response would have involved some beer and a pistol. Very generous of Shiroz, however I think he has some 'splainin to do as to why that nice new saw wouldn't even cut down a little sapling like that. This seems to be a design defect.

Ron Carlton
03-19-2010, 8:41 PM
I think my next major tool purchase will be a Grizzly! Wow!:):):):):D

Steve Vaughn
03-20-2010, 11:06 AM
James -

Almost unheard of in the world today. Good old fashioned customer service that goes way above and beyond!

James,

I'm sure you will be painting the edge of the table red now that you know that saw will jump out at things.

:D

Steve

Mike Goetzke
03-20-2010, 1:42 PM
I would go take the truck and run it into that tree and call my insurance agent:eek:.

Alan Schwabacher
03-20-2010, 3:07 PM
When you have that saw up and running (soon!) it will be all the more satisfying. I can imagine the antiques roadshow in 2110 telling the owner that his perfectly working antique saw would be worth only a million dollars, but with the story and documentation, a collector would be likely to pay fifty million.

Jim O'Dell
03-20-2010, 3:32 PM
I heard about this on possibly another forum. Can't remember, could have been here. Didn't name names. My thought was why wasn't it strapped down?!? Now I know. Let that be a lesson to all of us. Loads can and will shift.
It really made my heart sink to read this. Glad it looks to be repairable. Make sure you look through the other trunnion components to make sure there are no cracks. You've probably already done that.
The others are right...you've kept a great attitude, owned up to who is responsible, and carried on to get it back together. I think there is something about that type of attitude that pulls at Shiraz and makes him want to help where he can. Any way, glad no one was hurt. The saw is much easier to put back together, or replaced if need be. And it looks like you've got a great jump at getting it back together. Really good work so far!
Keep your chin up!
Oh, and I have a question for you since you have it in so many pieces already...The hex socket bolt that holds the gearing on for the riving knife...Is there a nut behind that or is it threaded into the cast iron? Thanks! Jim.

Shiraz Balolia
03-20-2010, 8:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments.

This episode reminds me of my own experience. A few years ago I traded in my boat for a larger one. The "trade in" was actually supposed to be on consignment for a certain starting price with the only condition being that the dealer in Seattle would send someone to pick up the trailered boat from Bellingham and then they would bring the other one by water when it showed up a few months later.

A young driver in his mid twenties shows up to pick up my boat in a very robust Ford 250. After he is all hooked up, we check to make sure the rear straps are tied, the safety chains hooked up and the hitch locked. All's well and he takes off.

About an hour later I get a call from my fishing buddy saying that he got a call from another fishing friend of ours asking why we parked Team Grizzly in the middle of the freeway. Then he says, "these guys are always kidding with us". I told him that the boat was on its way to Seattle, but that he probably just saw it go by on the freeway and was messing with us. Nevertheless, I was going to call the dealer in Seattle and ask him if everything was fine. No sooner did I hang up, there was call from the manager at Grady White in Seattle. Seems there was a little accident.

The driver was only five miles out of Bellingham and was doing a "comfortable 60 mph" when he hit a "small bump" in the freeway. Now this is I-5 that goes from the Canadian border in the North all the way to the Mexican border in the South. The straps in the back broke loose, the front strap broke loose and the 23 foot boat was launched onto the mid section of the freeway. The truck ended up in a ditch with the trailer upside down, still hooked to the truck by the safety chains, but not hooked to the hitch ball. The shaken driver was fine, and there was no vehicle immediately behind, so no other casualties.

Next day, the newspaper had a picture of the boat in the middle of the freeway with a caption "Boat accident closes I-5 for 2 hours". My wife is reading the paper and says to me "this boat looks like yours". I looked at her and said "what boat". Important thing to remember here is that I had done the unimaginable and not asked her or informed her of the upgrade. I promptly fell to my knees and begged for forgiveness (learn something here, guys), but could not cancel the sale as I had paid a hefty non-refundable deposit on the next boat.

Alls end that ends well. The dealer bought the freeway boat for the full asking price of the consignment amount and a few days later my wife forgave me. They were able to fix the cracked hull and promptly sold that boat to a guy back here in Bellingham who knew all about the accident, and I am enjoying the new boat.

Moral of the story - better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission :)

James Combs
03-20-2010, 9:48 PM
Jim, I think you are talking about the one with the red arrow. It has a 17mm aircraft style lock-nut on it. I say it is 17mm because my open end wrench with 16mm on one end and 18mm on the other does not fit it. One is too large the other is too small. (have to wonder why wrench sets skip 17mm:confused:) The ones with the green arrows are threaded into the casting. Hope this helps?

Re: the other components. I have checked everything and outside of checking them with an xray machine they look and seem fine. I am not 100% positive what parts are being replaced but my guess is that the only parts I will be reusing is the rear female trunnion slide, the riving knife gearing, the arbor and arbor housing, and the motor and motor cantilever arm. When I was taking to Grizzly's parts manager we were trying to come up with the part number for the angle sector gear (has broken teeth) but it was not listed as a separate item from the main trunnion assembly so the gear with the large curved shaped casting (full length top to bottom of photo) is being replaced. I looked at the gear (the base plate like part in the photo) today and found that it is doweled to the main casting and so is the male trunnion slide on the other end. That is probably the reason it (the gear) is not listed separately.

I heard about this on possibly another forum. Can't remember, could have been here. Didn't name names. My thought was why wasn't it strapped down?!? Now I know. Let that be a lesson to all of us. Loads can and will shift.
It really made my heart sink to read this. Glad it looks to be repairable. Make sure you look through the other trunnion components to make sure there are no cracks. You've probably already done that.
The others are right...you've kept a great attitude, owned up to who is responsible, and carried on to get it back together. I think there is something about that type of attitude that pulls at Shiraz and makes him want to help where he can. Any way, glad no one was hurt. The saw is much easier to put back together, or replaced if need be. And it looks like you've got a great jump at getting it back together. Really good work so far!
Keep your chin up!
Oh, and I have a question for you since you have it in so many pieces already...The hex socket bolt that holds the gearing on for the riving knife...Is there a nut behind that or is it threaded into the cast iron? Thanks! Jim.

James Combs
03-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Shiraz your story reminded my of a time when I passed a vehicle pulling a boat and just as I got around him as I was looking in the rear view I saw the boat detach from the tow vehicle and dart into the oncoming lane. Missed me by a matter of a few seconds and luckily there was no oncoming tragic. That was one time I was glade I got into the lead.

BTW Thanks again for your help.:o

Thank you everyone for your comments.

This episode reminds me of my own experience. A few years ago I traded in my boat for a larger one. The "trade in" was actually supposed to be on consignment for a certain starting price with the only condition being that the dealer in Seattle would send someone to pick up the trailered boat from Bellingham and then they would bring the other one by water when it showed up a few months later....

...Moral of the story - better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission :)

Jim O'Dell
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks James! I appreciate you taking the time to look at it. Jim.

Tim Popovitz
03-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Long time lurker
first time poster
future Grizzly customer

Christopher Stahl
03-21-2010, 12:15 AM
James, it could have been a heck of a lot funnier had you driven home and found the saw was missing. :eek:

Good news though, nobody was hurt, except maybe some feelings. You kept your chin up and your good attitude was rewarded. You're going to be back in business!

Shiraz is the man!

John Carlo
03-21-2010, 12:30 AM
In a race to unload a new floor model spindle sander for my school shop I made the huge mistake of grabbing the metal banding around the shipping crate. Several stitches later and I am lucky I can still play my saxophone at church! Some parts can be replaced good as new! Yours can!

Mike Wilkins
03-22-2010, 9:09 AM
James, you never mentioned what happened to the mill/lathe that you also picked up. Hope it just sat in the truck and watched the saw go for a tumble.
Hope to get a M/L in the near future and the Grizzly line-up in the catalog really look good. What model did you get?

James Combs
03-22-2010, 9:55 AM
James, you never mentioned what happened to the mill/lathe that you also picked up. Hope it just sat in the truck and watched the saw go for a tumble.
Hope to get a M/L in the near future and the Grizzly line-up in the catalog really look good. What model did you get?

Sorry:o, I move around between forums somewhat. I posted about the mill/lathe unit on the "Turners Forum". You know the forum about "Everything Spiny". I currently have the unit in place and assembled except for gearing. See the post for current status and keep a watch it for updates.:) The model of this one is G0516

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135938

Rod Sheridan
03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow James, what an adventure, and what a great sense of humour you have.

I'm glad no one was hurt, and it's great that Shiraz has generously offered to supply repair parts for you, that was very nice of him.

Sometimes things do work out well.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. After reading Shiraz's story of his boat accident, I was reminded of the time I was sitting in rush hour traffic and a tow truck came around the corner and the car it was towing detached itself.

There was nothing to do except watch the car head in our direction, fortunately hitting the vehicle behind us.

No one was injured, however just like the boat on the loose, the tow driver must have had some explaining to do back at work.

Pat Zabrocki
03-23-2010, 10:33 AM

I've purchased 12 pieces of Grizzly equipment and never had a problem but knowing that Shiraz and his company act with the class they do, well, that's the reason why I always start with Grizzly when I'm looking.

Now about that no laughing thing.... I tried to stifle it but you tell that story so well and I just couldn't help myself. My apologies for the laughter coming from a little north west of you. :) and I'm glad its turning out well for you.
pat