PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Aluminum

Scott Lux
03-17-2010, 10:09 PM
My first attempt at an aluminum stripe. Also first attempt with photo tent. Needs more light from above. And yes, that's a flaw in the finish near the nib.

Originally, this one had a bump near the nib, the finish built up and left an edge at the nib. In an effort to fix that, I screwed up the finish. I tried to repair it, and this was as close as I got.

It's already claimed by a friend, so I don't have to sweat it more. But I wouldn't sell this one.

Critiques welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice looking pen! I can see why your friend grabbed it!

Looks like the aluminum stripe worked well!

When it comes to photos - watch how much light you throw on the subject because washing out the color and details of your turning is even worse than having it slightly dark. Play with it a little - you'll find what works.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
That really turned out nice. No wondering he snapped it up. Really well done.

Scot Roberge
03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Scott:

Nice. I've admired some pens with contrasting wood stripes, but yours is the first I've seen with aluminum. How do you cut the blank apart and maintain a smooth enough edge to give a clean glue line? What is the thickness of the aluminum? What type of glue to reassemble the blank? Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Looks good to me... too bad about the scuff on the finish.

Is that soda/beer can that you used for the aluminum stripe? I've seen it done, but I've never done it. Any pearls of wisdom about the process?

Mark Hubl
03-18-2010, 1:24 AM
Nice. I love to see some creativity on pens. The silever looks good.

John Keeton
03-18-2010, 5:59 AM
Interesting process! Even though I don't do pens, I would be interested in hearing more about how this was done.

Nice work on the pen, too!!

Roland Martin
03-18-2010, 6:42 AM
Very unique idea Scott. The aluminum stripe contrasts very well with the walnut and the pen parts. Nice job.

Scott Lux
03-18-2010, 9:29 AM
The technique is easy.

1) Take a blank to the bandsaw and cut a curve. Easiest for clamping if you leave one end uncut.
2) Cut an aluminum can (soda in my case) int 1" strips. Rough up both sides of the Al.
3) Glue the Al between the two pieces of the blank.

Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy. My friend, the adhesives distributor, assures me the best glue for the job is JB Weld. I was surprised, but he assured me it really is an incredible epoxy and should hold this forever.

Baxter Smith
03-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Nice pen and very interesting explanation. Migh have applications beyond pens as well.

Scot Roberge
03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Scott:

Thanks for the info. I've been working at perfecting my "Celtic knot" pens . . . now it occurs to me that a Celtic knot in aluminum would be really cool. Guess I had better attempt some single aluminum inlays before going for four in one blank! Sorry about your finish problem. I've spent more time developing my pen finishing methods than the whole rest of the pen making process.

Scott Lux
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
My finish problem is one of laziness. In trying to dis-assemble the pen for refinement, I scuffed one side of the pen. In sanding that out, I went through the CA finish. I thought I could redo only the messed up part. Nope, with CA ya gotta take off the whole thing and start over.

Lesson: You can't spot repair a CA finish.