PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw

robert micley
03-17-2010, 9:55 PM
i would love to know which people use the band saw so much. i know what is it great for but i have managed without it . and i know some folks use their bandsaw almost like a tablesaw. so just curious about this.

Doug Mason
03-17-2010, 9:58 PM
If you make fine, handcrafted furniture you need a bandsaw. End of story.

Jason White
03-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I have a bandsaw and use it all the time!

I don't make "fine, handcrafted furniture." I make crappy, mostly machine-made furniture (although occasionally one of my pieces will turn out nice... if I'm lucky). ;)

Jason

Myk Rian
03-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Probably be easier to just visit this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135695

Bryan Morgan
03-17-2010, 10:31 PM
i would love to know which people use the band saw so much. i know what is it great for but i have managed without it . and i know some folks use their bandsaw almost like a tablesaw. so just curious about this.

I love my bandsaw. I use it for just about everything. Splitting long narrow stock before planing it. Cut out a guitar body just today. I cut copper clad boards that I etch for electronics projects. Cut big rawhide bones down for the dogs. Trimming the waste ends of off pen blanks before I turn them. Pretty much anything I need to cut real quick I just run to the bandsaw and cut it. Its always setup and easily accessible. Pull the tension lever, make sure the blade is on the wheels, and mash the green button. :) I have a table saw that I use for normal table saw purposes but its in the corner of the garage and not so convenient like the bandsaw.

Bill Huber
03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I have not made any fine furniture yet but I still use the band saw a lot.

Any time I am not cutting a straight line, I use the band saw. I make a lot of templates and use the band saw to do the ruff cuts and finish them on the router table.

I have done some resaw work with it but not a lot but when I do its really nice to have the band saw.

Adam Strong
03-17-2010, 10:58 PM
My main use is re-sawing and milling logs into lumber. For years I went without, but I never will again, it just seems to come in handy so often. Most people find it is the difference between: Having a tool that CAN do the job; and Having the RIGHT tool for the job. Saves time, while improving quality.

Van Huskey
03-17-2010, 11:03 PM
It is like any tool you do not have, you either don't see its potential or you figure a way around it. The only tools in the shop I would give up AFTER a BS are the TS and planer, the jointer would be 4th since it is easier to get around having a jointer than a BS.

Chris Padilla
03-17-2010, 11:48 PM
I've gotten into slicing my own veneers. The bandsaw is the only tool I'm aware of that can do that very well.

Stephen Edwards
03-18-2010, 1:06 AM
I have two of them in the shop, one for resawing and one for curved work. I had to give one of them up it would be the one for curved work 'cause I can do most of that on the scroll saw. Still, nice to have both.

The one set up for resawing is very important to me.

Bret Duffin
03-18-2010, 1:13 AM
I use my bandsaw a lot building chairs.

Chris Parks
03-18-2010, 5:15 AM
Until I bought one I did not realise how useful it is. You look at something and say, how do I do that? Oh that's right I have a bandsaw now and it is simple on that. Even now I catch myself forgetting I have it some times as I haven't had it that long. What you don't have you won't miss, once you have it you would not be without it.

Lance Norris
03-18-2010, 9:40 AM
I build lots of boxes and the bandsaw is great for resaw and curves. I am set up like Steven with 2 bandsaws. one for curves, and one for resaw and straight cuts. I love having a bandsaw in the shop and could do pretty much all my work without a tablesaw, although, the tablesaw does get used. Sure, the tablesaw is better for some cuts, but if I was starting over with a new shop, I would think about a tablesaw-less shop. I am a hobby woodworker, not a pro, so if I made my living with woodworking, of course a tablesaw would be in my shop.

Karl Card
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I also have 2. a 9 inch for small curved stuff and a 14 inch for larger stuff and some small resaw.. I do plan on dropping the 14 inch and replacing it with a 17 inch whenever i and the money get a chance.

Frank Drew
03-19-2010, 10:39 AM

I wouldn't put it quite so strongly; if you want the flexibility to be able to build almost any kind of furniture, then you really should have a bandsaw, but if everything you build is foursquare and right-angled, then not so much -- nice to have, but not critical.