PDA

View Full Version : Tool handle... but not what your thinking.

Brian Greb
03-17-2010, 9:36 PM
I had an accident about a year ago... I had a rather large board fall on my miter saw. This behemoth of a timber managed to brake the only part sears had discontinued. So I bought a new saw, went over shop safety again... stopped storing heavy lumber over my miter station, and tossed the old saw in the attic(a good tool nut throws nothing away until it's time). ..So I was in need of a job-site saw, remembered the broken one and sought out to make a new handle. It was no small feat first I tried to salvage the stud from the crap plastic handle, it wouldn't stay in the handle. So then I went and got an M10 1.25X100 bolt and made a handle around it. Now I can use the old saw again, I just need to dial it in and wax it and its better than new. I love it when a plan comes together. It's also neat to make something useful from time to time.

...oh almost forgot, the handle is made out of ash and Madagascar ebony just some scrap I had.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2010, 9:41 PM
Nice save on the saw and really good looking handle.

Bob Borzelleri
03-17-2010, 9:49 PM
Nice handle. Makes me want to drop a piece of lumber on the plastic handle on my Hitachi. :)

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2010, 10:10 PM
It's also neat to make something useful from time to time.

Nice looking handle and I agree with your comment! Every once in a while I turn something that is functional - it's a good feeling!

David E Keller
03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Looks good to me, and it's certainly a heck of a lot nicer than the one you broke off of it.

Mark Hubl
03-18-2010, 1:23 AM
Nice handle Brian. Your saw looks very much like mine. I love shops that have been added to by the craftsman.

John Keeton
03-18-2010, 6:02 AM
Brian, this makes you one classy guy!! Not everyone has exotic wood handles on their saws!;)

This thread did make me consider my wood storage, some of which happens to be above my miter station - must be a common theme for woodworkers. Rather than move it, perhaps I will just wear a hardhat!:D

Jerry Clark
03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
This idea is exactly what I need to do-- broke the handles on my 10 inch, now I will fix it. Thanks for the idea. :D

Dolan Brown
03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Really nice functional lathe work. That probably works better than the original and much classier. I have made a few functional items with my lathe - the most recent a steering knob for our backhoe.