PDA

View Full Version : Argh

Gary Herrmann
03-17-2010, 8:25 PM
It's school auction time so I'm making a variety of items as usual. Was buffing my 2nd bottle stopper and pushed a little too hard into the wheel and FWING - off it flew. That's what I get for buffing after I've already glued it to the metal cone. Dangit.

Looks like we have a new nicely polished nicked up stopper.

What I need is a shop with a rubber floor and walls. I do have rubber mats. The stopper managed to find a spot where they weren't.

Time for dinner.

John Keeton
03-17-2010, 8:51 PM
Gary, all objects to be buffed have built in "floor mat detectors!" If you covered the floor, they would bounce off the table saw, the bandsaw - anything metal with sharp edges!!:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2010, 9:52 PM
Bummer. I agree that if there is something not padded in the shop the piece will find it.

Gary Conklin
03-17-2010, 9:55 PM
Been there done that, bummer! Saw this, never tried it, but seems sound:

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/partoff.jpg
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip38.htm

David E Keller
03-17-2010, 9:55 PM
I you do a bunch of stoppers, try mounting a piece of bolt into a handle with threads that match the inside of the stopper. That will give you a handle to hold onto while buffing.

Glad you weren't impaled by the flying stopper.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear that happened! It is amazing how fast a buffing wheel can grab something and throw it! Any chance you can enhance the design modification with a dremel?

Gary Herrmann
03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I've got a bolt and stick jig for buffing. It was just one of those stupid things.

Forgot to buff the first stopper. Buffed the second and thought Oh, I'll buff the other one too.

The lament of the woodworker. If I just do this..., it will look better.

Sometimes it's better to just leave it as it is.

Lesson learned? Probably not.

Scott Lux
03-18-2010, 9:33 AM
Lesson learned? Probably not.

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. I wouldn't have learned from it either.

Charlie Reals
03-18-2010, 9:40 AM
That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. I wouldn't have learned from it either.

Ditto that:D

David E Keller
03-18-2010, 9:43 AM
One of my favorite sayings... "the enemy of good is better"

Roland Martin
03-18-2010, 9:50 AM
Not getting hurt physically is the primary thing, emotionally is another thing. Since you didn't get hurt, is it alright to laugh? A liitle while ago, I was rubbing the finish on a small rosewood bowl on the lathe, it came loose from the chuck, missed me, but found the rim of a 55 gal. drum. Hope that makes you feel better.:eek:

Mark Hubl
03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree with John. But the catch bucket is a good idea. Even if you do learn from the incident you must remember. The buffer is like the skew. You can practice, you will pay attention to detail, you will become the master. The buffer and skew will make you believe that you are friends. Don't turn your back! They are always waiting to let you know you are not the master, you are the grasshopper.