PDA

View Full Version : Screw organizers

Bill Huber
03-17-2010, 4:00 PM
I have tried small parts drawers, bins, large drawers with compartments and just the boxes that screws came it.

Well now I think I have found the one that best fit my needs.

The Stanley Professional Organizer, I really like them and for me they are just what I needed.

I have a problem of picking the right size screw for the job, I think I need a 1 1/2 inch and when I check it out I really only needed a 1 1/4 inch. This is one thing I really like about the organizer, I have them all there and don't have to go back and get a different bunch of screws from a different drawer or box..

They have two sizes, one is just over 2" high x 13" x 16" and the other is just over 4" x 13 x 16. The box has 3 different size compartments that can be moved around or taken out of the organizer. If I pull one of the small boxes out the rest stay put and do not move around.

Good handle and latches, the top is clear so you can see just how much you have left of a different screw. I can take it right to the project, find the size screw I need, pull the small compartment out and close the organizer until I am finished. I just write the size screw that is in a compartments and place that in the bottom so as I get low I know what to order.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ORGANIZERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=014725R&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+Professional+Organizer

Picture from Stanley's site

Nick Mastropietro
03-17-2010, 5:10 PM
Bill I'm with you, I buy mine from Harbor Freight. They have ones like you show above as well as ones that are deeper with larger bins. Best solution I've found yet.

Warren Johnson
03-17-2010, 5:15 PM
Bill,
I have three of the containers. Depending on what quantity of an item I have, I switch the yellow boxes between containers to get the fit i need.

I use a label maker to mark the top edge of each box, so I know whats there.

Jay Jeffery
03-17-2010, 5:16 PM
I used those for a few years before I bought my house. They are wonderful.

Lowes had a ball bearing lower tool chest on clearance a few years ago that was too good of a deal to pass up. The plastic bins came out of the totes and went into the drawers of the tool chest. It suits me much better than the totes. It may seem overkill to have a nice tool chest to hold screws and the like, but it is well worth it.

Eric Gustafson
03-17-2010, 7:25 PM
I could not agree more. I got rid of the old style bins last week and bought 5 of these at HF. They rock!

Bill Huber
03-17-2010, 9:27 PM
Bill I'm with you, I buy mine from Harbor Freight. They have ones like you show above as well as ones that are deeper with larger bins. Best solution I've found yet.

I am going to have to check out the ones at HF, they look just like the Stanley.

Thanks.

Bill Huber
03-17-2010, 9:28 PM
Bill,
I have three of the containers. Depending on what quantity of an item I have, I switch the yellow boxes between containers to get the fit i need.

I use a label maker to mark the top edge of each box, so I know whats there.

I was wishing they sold the yellow bins so I could have some larger ones, but from what you are saying I don't need them,,, just put the small one in one and the larger ones in the other.....

Thanks

Ted Calver
03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
15+ and counting. They stack nicely and you can swap the inner bins around. For years I have been accumulating nuts and bolts and screws etc....to the point that I have my own 'hardware store'. It saves me from running to the BORG every time I need a washer or bolt or screw for something. My next job will be to build a rolling cabinet with pull out shelves so I can access them without shuffling through the stacks.

Lee Ludden
03-18-2010, 12:48 AM
I picked several of these up at BORG. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/96/96d99bcd-cf6c-4365-a805-915df82b5c73_300.jpg
They have removable bins and the whole thing locks real secure and has a large, comfortable carrying handle. To give an idea of what they'll hold, one of mine has about 1400 1/4-20 bolts of various sizes and it holds up better than I do. SKU is 770298.

John Coloccia
03-18-2010, 4:28 AM
I have tried small parts drawers, bins, large drawers with compartments and just the boxes that screws came it.

Well now I think I have found the one that best fit my needs.

The Stanley Professional Organizer, I really like them and for me they are just what I needed.

I have a problem of picking the right size screw for the job, I think I need a 1 1/2 inch and when I check it out I really only needed a 1 1/4 inch. This is one thing I really like about the organizer, I have them all there and don't have to go back and get a different bunch of screws from a different drawer or box..

They have two sizes, one is just over 2" high x 13" x 16" and the other is just over 4" x 13 x 16. The box has 3 different size compartments that can be moved around or taken out of the organizer. If I pull one of the small boxes out the rest stay put and do not move around.

Good handle and latches, the top is clear so you can see just how much you have left of a different screw. I can take it right to the project, find the size screw I need, pull the small compartment out and close the organizer until I am finished. I just write the size screw that is in a compartments and place that in the bottom so as I get low I know what to order.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ORGANIZERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=014725R&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+Professional+Organizer

Picture from Stanley's site

I had a bunch of those when I was building my airplane. All full of rivets and things. Grab the one I need, and go. The Stanley one is especially good about keeping small items from getting mixed up between different bins when transporting it. I've also found that Harbor Freight can be a great source for bins like this...sometimes. Idiot me included them with the plane when I sold it. I should have bagged all the rivets/hardware, and kept the organizers!

Hey, does anyone remember those small part storage bins like this:

http://www.closetorganizersource.com/garage-organizers/garage-cabinets/stackon60drawerstoragebin.cfm

What the heck happened to them? All I can find these days are absolute garbage. The plastic is soft and flimsy. The frame literally starts to bend and deform if you should happen to take 3 or 4 bins out at the same time. I have one that I use that I bought about 20 years ago and I want more, but I've had a heck of a time finding any of any quality.

Sean Nagle
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey, does anyone remember those small part storage bins like this:

http://www.closetorganizersource.com/garage-organizers/garage-cabinets/stackon60drawerstoragebin.cfm

Years ago I bought one of these that was made by Rubbermade. What I liked about it is that the drawers were made of polyethylene, not polystyrene. I also liked that the drawers were the width of the case and had a stop preventing the drawer from sliding completely out. The wide drawer makes finding various sizes of similar screws easier. Also the bin dividers were integral to the drawer, not the slide-in type. I don't like how the slide-in variety allow small parts like washers to move from bin-to-bin. Rubbermade doesn't make these any longer, I'd really like to find something similar?