PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624 - adding variable speed - Followup

Steve Harder
03-17-2010, 3:30 PM
Nova 1624 – adding variable speed – followup.

My original article had over 1500+ views between all the forums – so thought I’d do a quick followup.

So far, all pro and no con.

The motor/VFD combo performs well, and in many ways goes beyond my initial expectations.

The three lowest belt positions give me lathe headstock speed ranges of
(42)107 to 321, (72)180 to 540 and (136)342 to 1026 rpm.

The numbers in parenthesis are at the bottom end of the safe operating range for this motor. So on low belt setting, to get 42 rpm lathe shaft you are running motor at 12hz – this is fine for sanding all day, or for a short session of roughing a very out of balance blank. The 107 thru 321 rpm can be run all day, as the motor fan is turning fast enough to adequately cool motor.

As a test I mounted a 45# oblong, very out of round blank. Normally I would have done some chainsaw and bandsaw work to clean up the blank, but I wanted to test my new setup. Initially I could only turn at 60 rpm, above that the lathe with 550# of added ballast was starting to shimmy. So I hogged into the blank, working it as hard as I dared. The pounding was a good reminder as to why I usually start with a nicely trimmed up blank. Took 10 minutes or so at pretty slow rpms before I could work up thru the low speed range, and move belt to 2nd postion. After 20 minutes or so I had a blank that I could turn at 500 rpm. The motor was barely luke warm.

Earlier this week I sanded out a couple of bowls and ran at 50 rpm on the 2nd belt setting, so I was well under 12hz going to motor. I wasn’t putting much load on the lathe and after 30 minutes or so, motor was barely luke warm.

So, this motor is running cooler than I remember my OEM Nova motor running.

Motor has enough torque, even at low rpms, that I’m always going to keep a slightly slack belt, in case of a major catch.

I really like the scaling factor on the VFD that lets me see the headstock rpm for each of the belt positions. I’m setting my speed based on how the blank looks on the lathe, but it’s nice to be able to verify where I am by glancing at the rpm.

The remote box is a definite plus. Not having to reach across to get a run/stop and change speed is really nice. I’ve marked my speed dial with “hz” – so when I’m between 30 and 90 I know I’m in a safe all-day motor speed range.

If I were doing it over again, I would mount the VFD chassis in a large metal box underneath the lathe and buy the $45 extension cord so the keypad could be up by the motor. It’s a dust issue. While a lot of other VFDs are mounted up on the headstock, out in the open, I will have to remember to blow out dust once in a while.

All in all, I’m a very happy camper.

---

Links to my original article on Nova 1624 variable speed.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134952
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/c...num=1268097435 (http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1268097435)

And a link to article on Remote Box
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135179

Bob Borzelleri
03-17-2010, 4:15 PM
Thanks for the update, Steve; a very promising report.

As soon as I get a few other things out of the way (building the long promised Murphy bed for the guestroom, finishing the coat rack for the entryway, splitting 2 cords of firewood, putting in the rock walls and flagstone patios, covering the concrete front porch with flagstone, building the new storage shed, cutting the road to the new storage shed, putting in a new deck off the rear porch, clearing out the garage, fixing the rain gauge up on the roof, clearing the poison oak and scrub stuff out of the lower section of the front yard, chipping branches from three pines that had to come down in the back and getting the power window fixed in my car), I will get right on the Nova mods. :(

Actually, I think I will move the Nova up the priority list when nobody's looking.:cool:

...Bob

Mark Hazelden
03-17-2010, 5:55 PM
Steve, Thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed posts. I don't own a Nova, but I may use your info for a future lathe upgrade.

Glad your design is working out well.

Mark

Brian Weick
03-17-2010, 9:52 PM
I believe you can access most of the functions on the VFD via a remote through the terminal hook ups- check it out:D oops,, didn't see you links - nice set-up!
Brian

Nigel Tracy
03-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I think this is fantastic information and I hope anyone looking to do a conversion finds your posts.

I went through a conversion recently and in particular I found it difficult to know what constant torque/variable torque ratios would be suitable for a lathe application.

I had a hunch that going "inexpensive"--i.e. your 2:1 constant torque and 5:1 variable on a non-inverter duty motor--would work just fine, and your experience proves it.

Again, I hope someone looking to do this finds your posts. Great stuff and thanks for sharing!

Nigel

(P.S. did you consider the cheaper FM-50 VFD: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f and if so why did you go with the one you did?)

Mark Hubl
03-18-2010, 1:26 AM
Thanks for the detailed post and followup. Very tempting. As a 16-24 owner this is great into.

Steve Harder
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I went through a conversion recently and in particular I found it difficult to know what constant torque/variable torque ratios would be suitable for a lathe application.

I had a hunch that going "inexpensive"--i.e. your 2:1 constant torque and 5:1 variable on a non-inverter duty motor--would work just fine, and your experience proves it.

(P.S. did you consider the cheaper FM-50 VFD: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f and if so why did you go with the one you did?)

"Hunch" was what I ended up going with on non-inverter duty - and the higher cost of inverter-duty motors. My hunch was my wood lathe wasn't going to push a motor very hard. And I had done some reading on practicalmachinist.com where folks doing lathe conversions on machines there were using in their business were going with non-inverter.

From what I know, the FM-50 would definitely do the job here. Originally I was planning on motor from automationdirect and VFD from another supplier. Then noticed automationdirect offered free ship on orders over $300. Shipping on these items was going to be $65, so I added that to cost of $150 VFD and came within $25 of cost of GS2 VFD - so I went for the more expensive VFD and bought both from automationdirect. I liked the idea that their tech support had 'blessed' my proposed Ironhorse motor/GS2 VFD combo.

Nigel Tracy
03-18-2010, 11:04 PM
"Hunch" was what I ended up going with on non-inverter duty - and the higher cost of inverter-duty motors. My hunch was my wood lathe wasn't going to push a motor very hard. And I had done some reading on practicalmachinist.com where folks doing lathe conversions on machines there were using in their business were going with non-inverter.

From what I know, the FM-50 would definitely do the job here. Originally I was planning on motor from automationdirect and VFD from another supplier. Then noticed automationdirect offered free ship on orders over $300. Shipping on these items was going to be $65, so I added that to cost of $150 VFD and came within $25 of cost of GS2 VFD - so I went for the more expensive VFD and bought both from automationdirect. I liked the idea that their tech support had 'blessed' my proposed Ironhorse motor/GS2 VFD combo.Shipping costs to Canada did the exact same to me-- I ended up with the GS2 for the same reasons. Speaking to their tech support with a few questions gave me confidence--they knew their stuff-- plus they offered a money-back guarantee (I know sound like an ad to readers but just a happy customer, honest.)

I was deliberating on a motor and almost pulled the trigger on a new (more expensive) inverter duty 3ph motor. Luckily one popped up on the local Kijiji (a.k.a. CList) before I did so (leeson). I'm a happy camper as well, but had a hunch that the route you took would be just fine too.

I had read a bunch of discussions re: VFD conversions on "another forum" that almost had me thinking the whole thing would never work! So once again, great info for anyone doing a conversion!

Steve Harder
03-21-2010, 9:47 PM
Several folks have contacted me asking about performance at low rpm.

A couple of days ago I roughed out a 11" well balanced bowl blank - using the 3rd belt position from low end - started roughing at lathe 100 rpm. Had plenty of torque.

Tonight I had a small endturning mounted - 4th belt position - as a test I slowed down to 8hz motor input freq - which was giving me a little over lathe 100 rpm - and just hogged into the piece - I couldn't really slow down the lathe at all. Got lots of tearout, certainly wouldn't turn a piece at low rpms except as a test. You wouldn't want to run motor at this low a hz because of cooling issues.

So low rpm performance is very good.